Game that let you choose Good or Evil, from 2 different factions.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ztiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Ztiller
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

I have always liked moral choice systems. But it feels like all games that use them, just put them there to have something to brag about. they dont really do anything specific.

And pretty much all the games use "points", that you earn or lose.

Now, i am looking for a game, where your choice completely changes everything. Say for example that you are playing transformers, as a autobot, but for some reason get the option to join the decepticons. If you choose to stay, you do "good" missions, and if you change, "evil".

Maybe you even end up fighting in the "same" missions, but from the other perspectiove. Like if, you were told, as an autobot, to assault a fort, if you join the decepticons, you play the same misson, but you defend the fort instead.

Im just pulling some random things from my a** right now, and only used Transformers, since they have very clear "good vs Evil" factions.

Are there any PC games like this? Where the game completely changes in the way i just described?

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

good vs evil is too simplistic a duality which CPPG has gone beyond from the beginnig. Take dnd's alignment system for example, you have chaotic-netural-lawful adding to the good-evil pair.

I myself don't fancy a game that's designed around the good-evil dualism and so I'd prefer the good old choice-consequence styIe quests in CRPG: alignment, cIass and even character stats would affect the outcome of quests.

anyway, Alphal Protocol is the best in choice-consequence currently, and it's much better and sophisticated than a mere good-evil interplay. the dialog options, the perks you aquire, the relationship with NPCs and etc would greatly affect how a quest would proceed.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
Oblivion, obviously.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

A few of the Star wars games do that, most notably KOTOR 1 and 2. These games allow you to make your own choices which will determine the outcome of the game.

Dragon Age Origins also has some choices that change the games outcome too.

Starcraft 2 had choices aswell but im not sure how much they effect the games outcome as so far I have only played through the campaign once.

Oblivion has its choices but none that effect the ending, they mainly just effect your standing with certain factions in the game. (like the dark brotherhood)

I heard that Alpha Protocol has a lot of story effecting choices but I didnt really play enough of it to find out as I thaught the game was garbage and gave it to my nephew.

Ztiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ztiller

In what way does Oblivion let you choose faction? You can join all factions at the same time, without any regard for Good or Evil.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pelvist

Oblivion has its choices but none that effect the ending, they mainly just effect yourstanding with certain factions in the game. (like the dark brotherhood)

The choices you make change weather or not these factions will like you or weather they even let you do quests for them. Since you said you were looking for games where your choices change things then there you go...

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

Starcraft 2 had choices aswell but im not sure how much they effect the games outcome as so far I have only played through the campaign once.

pelvist
It changes the mission directly after the choice. The only difference it makes to the rest of the campaign is which unit you unlock.
Ztiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ztiller

You obviously didn't get my point at all. if people like you more or less, doesnt affect sh*t really. I wanted MAJOR changes.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I remember Gothic 3 had some pretty game changing results by picking different factions, but I'm not sure if there were different results within those factions. I kind of think it was whichever faction you didn't choose was killed, and your faction moved into their cities and took over their homes and businesses.
Ztiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ztiller

Something like that is what i had in mind. But with other changes than the guards looking different and so on. I want the entire game to change.

Like one mod in Morrowind, where you could join Dagoth ur, assault Ebonheart and kill Vivec. Afterwards, there were zombies walking the streets, ashstorms everywhere etc... you could really see and feel the changes.

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
alpha protocol has some freakin tough choices , but gameplay is horrible :) fable has good and evil aspect too
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
[QUOTE="Farkeman"]alpha protocol has some freakin tough choices , but gameplay is horrible :) fable has good and evil aspect too

The gameplay in Alpha Protocol isn't that bad. The stealth is good, the shooting is a bit...iffy though. But that's because it plays like Deus Ex did when it comes to shooting.
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
[QUOTE="kieranb2000"][QUOTE="Farkeman"]alpha protocol has some freakin tough choices , but gameplay is horrible :) fable has good and evil aspect too

The gameplay in Alpha Protocol isn't that bad. The stealth is good, the shooting is a bit...iffy though. But that's because it plays like Deus Ex did when it comes to shooting.

idk i found it unplayble so i ended up using cheats and trainers just to see the story :)
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

actually, Avatar the video game best fits what OP wants; just few missions into the game, you'll need to make a decision to side with human or Na'vi ... as it sets up, human = evil, Na'vi = good; you will have complete different missions, one is to take Na'vi's land and the other is to defend homeland.

however, as I said, compared to good-evil dualism, games are more appealing to me with sophisticated alignment and choice-consequence design, such as Alpha Protocol.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
[QUOTE="Farkeman"][QUOTE="kieranb2000"][QUOTE="Farkeman"]alpha protocol has some freakin tough choices , but gameplay is horrible :) fable has good and evil aspect too

idk i found it unplayble so i ended up using cheats and trainers just to see the story :)

Did you find any trainer with a money option? I've been aching to have a full inventory, money is a complicated issue in that game... Alpha Protocol is an option, Fallout 3, has that, especially if you install faction mods and so.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pelvist

You obviously didn't get my point at all. if people like you more or less, doesnt affect sh*t really. I wanted MAJOR changes.

Ztiller

Yeah and I pointed that out in my response which YOU obviously didnt get.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19601 Posts

I remember Gothic 3 had some pretty game changing results by picking different factions, but I'm not sure if there were different results within those factions. I kind of think it was whichever faction you didn't choose was killed, and your faction moved into their cities and took over their homes and businesses.guynamedbilly

Gothic 3 was the first game that came to mind for me, too. Most quests, regardless of the quest-givers, allow you to betray the faction you're working for and help out the opposing side, and this can have pretty dire consequences (to the point where you can lead revolutions in towns controlled by other factions, and eventually start an all-out, continent-wide war with them).

Alpha Protocol is another great game where your choices can be confused and changed along the way - you don't simply pick from good and evil, and there'll be all sorts of consequences for things as you go along through the game.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts
Fallout 3 Transformers: War For Cybertron The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
tvogt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tvogt
Member since 2010 • 36 Posts

Fallout 3 definitely, not only is it an amazing game but it's exactly what you want. For the quests there's at least 2 ways you can do them, usually a lot more than 2. The ways that you do them can be a good way or an evil way and sometimes neutral or neutral.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts

Fallout 3 definitely, not only is it an amazing game but it's exactly what you want. For the quests there's at least 2 ways you can do them, usually a lot more than 2. The ways that you do them can be a good way or an evil way and sometimes neutral or neutral.

tvogt
I agree. You can get deep choices such as "I'll help you", "Pay me and I'll help" or "Die!". If only more games had the moral dilemmas of Fallout 3.
ghegpatatas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ghegpatatas
Member since 2010 • 611 Posts
fable TLC or black and white 1 & 2
AleksandarTale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AleksandarTale
Member since 2007 • 2906 Posts

The only game with major choices i can think of is Alpha Protocol and for me the gameplay was pretty good.

A game with minor changes is Rise of the Argonauts.

Fallout 3 and the KOTOR games work with the "good and bad" system.

If you're looking for a medieval game you should definetely try the Witcher.That one's not with the "good and bad" system but every choice you make is like gray, at times you have to choose the lesser evil.

dan_plus_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dan_plus_o
Member since 2003 • 2240 Posts
The Witcher has what I would consider pretty major changes depending on which side you chose to fight on. Possibly Stalker but I'm not sure if the changes are major... I only got through the first game and it seemed like only the side quests changed.
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
[QUOTE="dan_plus_o"]The Witcher has what I would consider pretty major changes depending on which side you chose to fight on. Possibly Stalker but I'm not sure if the changes are major... I only got through the first game and it seemed like only the side quests changed.

The Witcher doesn't let you choose between good or evil, choices in it are pretty...gray.
-Feath-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 -Feath-
Member since 2005 • 1452 Posts
The Witcher doesn't let you choose between good or evil, choices in it are pretty...gray.rmfd341
One could argue that is what true choice is. Personally, I would not believe "BE GOOD" or "BE EVIL" is a choice, choice is not bi-polar. A world with choices as depicted in modern "RPG's" would be very asinine. There are very very few games that do choice well (read: not perfectly), such as Deus Ex and Planescape: Torment. Games with 'choice' should appreciate the player's physical actions in the game as well, and there are even less games that do this in any significant manner. Deus Ex did it for a while, but after a while the mission layout and character interaction doesn't allow for recognition to occur. Game design has hardly progressed that much to get snooty about it anyway.
I agree. You can get deep choices such as "I'll help you", "Pay me and I'll help" or "Die!". If only more games had the moral dilemmas of Fallout 3.Vfanek
That made me laugh :3
face_ripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 face_ripper
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts
Fallout 3 let's you choose to be good or evil. You choose to steal from a guy information, buy the information, or break their face, eat their corpse and look for what you want alone. You can either be good or evil - people will like you if your good and trust you. But if your evil you can make a child go and steel things for you. It's things like that. I wouldn't say oblivion is a game that let's you choose between Good or Evil because it doesn't change the dialog and options you can say to NPC's it just takes you to jail. You serve your sentence and your good again.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
fable TLCghegpatatas
This. Some missions are specifically designed to be unlocked if you're in the good/bad. The aesthetics is good too, you seem brighter when good, and darker when bad. The townspeople cheer you when good, and run away when bad. I can't remember though if there are gear/skills that are specific to the good/bad side.