Game Sales (Any): Your Recent IMPULSE Purchases

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

We've all done it. You see a game or two up for sale at a ridiculously low and price you go "Holy cow! Gotta get it before the deal's off!" and then you find yourself playing it for a very short period of time, only to never get back into it every again. It's those annoying impulse purchases. Have you been a victim of it this year so far or during any of the holiday sales last year? Of course it is entirely our own fault, but dammit Steam (for example)! - for putting full priced games up for 50 - 75% off!!!!!!

Which pointless purchases have you made recently?

During the Steam sales I bought Saints Row: The Third for less than 10 bucks. It was a wicked deal for sure but I only ended up playing two or three missions. Then I got distracted by other titles I got like Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3 and I already know I won't be touching Saints Row at all any time soon...

I also just purchased and downloaded The Witcher 2. I don't even like RPGs...................

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I did that today when Sleeping Dogs was 91% off on Steam. Got it for $4.49.
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

Dark Sector (I already know I hate it so not sure why)

Armed and Dangerous (sounded familiar)

Dead Pixels (was like $1)

A Valley Without Wind dual pack (no idea why)

Ace of Spades (no idea why)

Sleeping Dogs (already own it so no use but was only $4 so meh)

Blacklight Tango Down (was only $1 even tho I assume its dead)

Scoregasm (Only $1 so no reason)

KOTOR 1 and 2

Mark of the Ninja (Heard people talk about it and for $7 figured might as well.

This Steam sale wasn't as bad as usual, but I'll likely never play any of the games I bought.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
I did that today when Sleeping Dogs was 91% off on Steam. Got it for $4.49.AmazonTreeBoa
infofrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 infofrog
Member since 2012 • 231 Posts
Borderlands 1 . Grimrock Rage
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

KOTOR 1, is KOTOR 2 worth a buy?

Avatar image for HouseMuzik4Life
HouseMuzik4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HouseMuzik4Life
Member since 2010 • 134 Posts
The last humble bundle and Bad Company 2 just cause my gf ordered bf3 (the disc version :( ) for me and i couldnt wait to get a bf fix. Got it for 7.50 off of amazon with vietnam, gave some hours of play , got bf3 , probably will never play again .
cybernatra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cybernatra
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Rage for $4.99 on Steam.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

During the Steam sales I bought Saints Row: The Third for less than 10 bucks. It was a wicked deal for sure but I only ended up playing two or three missions. Then I got distracted by other titles.

Amster_G

Try to finish a game before you move on to the next, i know at times it may be difficult especially if you don't like the game but usually it does pay off in the end. Saints Row 3 was so damn fun i can't begin to tell you how much i enjoyed playing through this game. (I also purchased it from the Steam sale).

The game picks up from the moment you start it and only continues to get better as you play haha. Give it a bit more of a chance and play passed those opening missions and you'll be hooked.

If you stick to the main missions it won't take too long to beat but either way Saints Row 3 was one helluva great game to play. Oh and there's also two different endings you can get plus the DLC if you bought the complete pack.

Gangstas in Space was a hilarious DLC and i recommend you at least play that one.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]I did that today when Sleeping Dogs was 91% off on Steam. Got it for $4.49.LittleMac19

Shoulda bought some DLC along with it though.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="LittleMac19"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]I did that today when Sleeping Dogs was 91% off on Steam. Got it for $4.49.MythPro1

Shoulda bought some DLC along with it though.

Yeah I wish I had, but with 38 unplayed games waiting on me to finish my new PC, I have plenty of time to get around to that, so maybe during this year's summer sale.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Bought another copy of Hitman: Blood Money. I have the retail version which is "other drm." I wanted one for steam. Besides, I love that game. I would buy it 10 times if I had the money and give them away. For only $2.50, anyone that hasn't played it, SHOULD.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts
Bought another copy of Hitman: Blood Money. I have the retail version which is "other drm." I wanted one for steam. Besides, I love that game. I would buy it 10 times if I had the money and give them away. For only $2.50, anyone that hasn't played it, SHOULD.Elann2008
Do you want to give one away to me? I'll be your best friend:)
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#14 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Scribblenauts for $15.

Pumped in 10 hours already just messing around with the Character Creator and everything.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Hitman Absolution Professional Edition from GMG. Was 25 bucks and got $7 in GMG credit. Used that to get War in the North and The Last Remnant. I don't regret the purchase, killer steal IMO, but I haven't even touched any of those games yet.

Also some Sleeping Dogs DLC cause I just got Sleeping Dogs from Amazon last week.

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

Got BF3 Premium for £14 thought I would whilst it was that price. :D

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Only game so far I bought on an impulse was Jade Empire when it went on sale the day before Steam Holiday Sales started for $3.74. I loved the game way back on my friend's Xbox and wanted to try it again.
Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

Try to finish a game before you move on to the next, i know at times it may be difficult especially if you don't like the game but usually it does pay off in the end. Saints Row 3 was so damn fun i can't begin to tell you how much i enjoyed playing through this game. (I also purchased it from the Steam sale).

BattleSpectre

I'll eventually get back into it. I downloaded the game with the awareness of how crazy and over the top it is (I've watched reviews of it before) so I knew what I was downloading. It's just that I had a number of other priorities on my gaming list. Besides the other new games I bought, I still had a couple of titles to finish and because of all that I knew Saints Row would be left in the dust (for now).

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

The Last Remnant: I haven't bought a proper JRPG in ages and decided to see how they improved so I grabbed this for $4. Well, I like the combat system, the world, the soundtrack and how you actually see the enemies for encounters. What I don't like is the god awful protagnonist (I hate this sub-genre trope), terrible writing that must have OK when it was wrote and then was completely lost in translation, and a lot of the voice acting is so bad I wish I could just turn it off. Played about 5 hours, feel satisfied, but I don't see myself going back to it any time soon.

Gray Matter: I had the blue coins for this one, so I decided to see what the big deal about Jane Jensen games were. I pretty much have no complaints, except for the fact that the ending feels awkward even though I guessed it about half way through and that the animations could use some work. If Gabriel Knights 1-2 weren't so old (and by proxy subject to the terrible adventure design of the early-mid 90's) I would snap them up in a hot second.

KOtOR 2: I spent an hour searching for and applying fan patches to this game (which I don't mind doing). Start a new game and everything is going pretty good for 3 hours until I save, turn off the game for a break, come back to the game freezing everytime I try to load a game. Well it was fun while it lasted I guess, I have 24-25 other games that are on my backlog and I would rather play those then spend a few more hours troubleshooting a game that is known to have a bunch of problems.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Natural Selection 2, bought it last night for $9, at first I was 50/50 about the game but honestly it's easily one of my fav MP FPS, so sad it didn't get a lot of attention compared to planetside 2.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Natural Selection 2, bought it last night for $9, at first I was 50/50 about the game but honestly it's easily one of my fav MP FPS, so sad it didn't get a lot of attention compared to planetside 2.

Ballroompirate
I've been thinking about it the entire winter sale period. I'm still thinking about it now. Is it a must buy?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I usually never buy any PC games from Gamestop. But, as soon as I saw Far Cry 3, I knew I had to buy it.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
I did that today when Sleeping Dogs was 91% off on Steam. Got it for $4.49.AmazonTreeBoa
tht game is worth atleast $15 IMO
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Unless otherwise specified, it's usually an impulse purchase for me. lol
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
All I bought was Sniper Ghost Warrior for $1.99. I bought a lot of stuff during the last sale so most of the games I already bought last sale, and newer games I already own on consoles. I'm sure i'll be buying lots next sale.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 k2theswiss

my impulse buy?

i say spec ops. IT got good scores and it only was $2.50 from amazon lol

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#27 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1181 Posts

My biggest impulse buy this holiday season was probably JASF--Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters. I was in the store anyway to buy a joystick for DCS: A10C Warthog when I purchased it.

I liked Jane's F15 back in the day so I figured the game would be a simulation like that. When I got home I realised it was more of an arcadey game. Not only that, but I figured out my controllers and flight stick wouldn't even work with the game, without a major hassle which I haven't tried yet. The store's Christmas holiday mood, and the fact I like hardcopies of games got to me. For those $29.00 I could've bought quite a few games on Steam.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 k2theswiss

I usually never buy any PC games from Gamestop. But, as soon as I saw Far Cry 3, I knew I had to buy it.

jun_aka_pekto
is that how people got that game for like $12 bucks?
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

k2theswiss
is that how people got that game for like $12 bucks?

Some got it for $12 because Ubi was giving away 75% off coupon codes for Uplay purchases.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

Elann2008

I've been thinking about it the entire winter sale period. I'm still thinking about it now. Is it a must buy?

It's like mixing Starcraft,Counter Strike and AvP in a game. Well worth the $9.99 sale price. The play style is like a FPS with someone on your team being a "commander" who has a RTS view of the map, supplying/upgrading your armor and base, also it has a heavy mod support.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
Scribblenaughts for $7.50 on Amazon. This turned out to be well worth the money! Morrowind for $5 Steam sale. I've owned the disk copy of Morrowind for years and played this game to death and I'm like, "yeah, why not? It's only a fiver." Plus no more disks! :D
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Here's what I ended up getting this Holiday:

1. Portal 2 (11/24) = $4.99

2. Batman Arkham City GotY (12/27) = $7.49

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (12/31) = $4.99

4. Painkiller: Black Edition (01/03) = $2.49

5. Thief II: The Metal Age (01/03) = $2.49

6. Bastion (01/03) = $3.74

I'm quite pleased, for a little over $26 I got quite a diverse well respected collection of gaming goodness I would say. I keep waiting to see Skyrim at 75% off (I knew it was too soon though), but hell, I haven't even finished Morrowind yet!

From Gog.com I picked up Zeus + Poseidon (packaged together), 2 of the most respected city-building games. Again, quite diverse from my Steam purchases.

Of the list I would consider Painkiller, Thief II, Bastion, Zeus, Poseidon as my impulse buys. The others I was determined to get.

Daywalk3r7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Daywalk3r7
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Not really. It was made by a different game dev who didn't do as well as Bioware. Although I guess it's not that terrible. My point is that there are probably more interesting games out there for that kind of money.