First GTA4 PC screens

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3
deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3
Member since 2005 • 1735 Posts

there are some new GTA4 PC screens that have come out of GC today, they can be found here, also, some info was released on the game and about what will be new to the PC version, which can be found here

its looking great, and i cant wait to see how they improve MP more... should be fun!

enjoy! :)

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 couly
Member since 2004 • 6279 Posts
I don't know whether to give this a second try or not. Didn't really like it on 360, but with my gtx280, I might give it a go, if graphics and draw distance has been improved.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3
my time with the game on the 360 was very short (i was at a friends house) so im kind of open minded to be honest, i hope its good, iv got it on pre-order anyway :D
sunwukong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 sunwukong
Member since 2004 • 326 Posts
i'm actually pretty psyched about this, since i recently parted ways with my lcd tv, and am now wallowing in the depths of standard resolution. thankfully my monitor escaped unscathed, so i can't wait to run it on that. plus, there have got to be some epic mods for this thing. i'm getting tingly all over just thinking about it.
augustlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 augustlight
Member since 2008 • 400 Posts
It looks oh chen harasho!
pcgamer_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 pcgamer_07
Member since 2007 • 1164 Posts
Looks very nice and Rockstar are still improving them.
ForsbergFan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ForsbergFan21
Member since 2003 • 2908 Posts
Even tho I own the 360 version (360 got RRoD last week anyway), I will still buy the PC version but only for the fact of higher resolutions, sharper textures, improved online and of course last but not least, mods. I could careless for singleplayer as it sucked IMO.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

For PC screens they strangely enough kept the 16:9 aspect ratio, people looking forward to this should hope that doesn't signify anything.

That said, they are not really taking advantage of PC vram are they? The textures look low res.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I don't see any screens.
Skull338

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Skull338
Member since 2006 • 477 Posts

For PC screens they strangely enough kept the 16:9 aspect ratio, people looking forward to this should hope that doesn't signify anything.

That said, they are not really taking advantage of PC vram are they? The textures look low res.

AnnoyedDragon

Thats what i thought. That how they will look on release?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Well it looks better then the PC version of San Andreas.
That was brighter then a christmas tree even with the brightness setting turned down.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#12 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Well it looks better then the PC version of San Andreas.

Treflis

That wouldn't be hard. They are impressive.

Though, 69th street? lol, c'mon grow up Rockstar.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

Oh, man. That looks so good. GTA has finally caught up with the visual curve - this game is gorgeous.

Though, 69th street? lol, c'mon grow up Rockstar. biggest_loser

Aha! That is what Rockstar is all about! Though usually it's a little more subtle and intelligent, like a sports brand called ProLaps and a driving school called Turning Tricks.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

In the 360 version, I thought the water was the best looking element of the game. The waves were impressively realistic. I'd stop at the docks and literally think, wow, now that's impressive! Especially for a console game.

On the other hand, the worst looking element in the game was by far the trees. They literally look like paper cut-outs. And the skyline is not too impressive when looking at it from a distance; but that was Rockstar's way of dealing with the pop-up problems of the past games.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Does't look so different from console version.
TheFreeloader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheFreeloader
Member since 2008 • 290 Posts

Hmm. Don't think the graphics is that great. They are good, but i have seen better. The car models is nothing near those in some of the newer racing games (like Grid and Dirt). And almost any new fps got better character models than those is there. But then again, the reason why the graphics is not the best of the best is probably because of the sheer number of models and animations they have to put in to the game. Besides, most people dont choose to play GTA because of the graphics.

Cryptecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cryptecks
Member since 2004 • 610 Posts
Personally I think the game looks great, and I'm not so sure they had the game running at full tilt for GC2008, there's almost certainly more to be done on it. That said, if any of you like what you see from de-frag, I encourage you to register there, we've spent a lot of time crafting the place to be the best place for all us PC Gamers. If not, enjoy the news coming from the site at least, we have an RSS feed as well. [/shameless plug] Super excited for GTA4 PC, as I don't even have a "current-gen" console.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

I'll be skipping it. I played all the way through GTA3 four or so years ago, and I've still got that queasy "I'm full" kind of feeling. You know, how you feel sick when you see a food commercial after you eaten too much?

All I can think of when I see this game is more irritating timed fetch quests, awkward controls and completely unlikeable characters. No thanks, I'm stuffed.

Cryptecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cryptecks

I'll be skipping it. I played all the way through GTA3 four or so years ago, and I've still got that queasy "I'm full" kind of feeling. You know, how you feel sick when you see a food commercial after you eaten too much?

All I can think of when I see this game is more irritating timed fetch quests, awkward controls and completely unlikeable characters. No thanks, I'm stuffed.

dos4gw82
The characters are actually quite likeable this time though, and the controls for PC at least should be refined to a point of comfort. If you have the time/desire, just wire up an old Xbox controller to USB and install XBCD to play games on the PC like GTA, you can find easy directions for how to do it on Google.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
Marvelous!
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

GTA3 is the weakest of the GTA3 trilogy by a long, long way. The writing and characters were much improved by Vice City, and with San Andreas came a small overhaul to the controls that makes the game far more playable - and certainly much better than with a pad.

With San Andreas, you have free mouselook while driving, which gives you a much-needed degree of control and increase in peripheral awareness that makes highspeed driving both comfortable and a pleasure. The same is true of out of car controls - rather than controlling like a generic third person shooter, character movement and camera control are completely independent from one another (so you can be running in one direction and looking in another) until you aim your weapon.

I haven't played the game yet, but if GTA4 controls like SA, if Rockstar continue to improve upon the writing and characterisation as they have with every iteration of GTA to date and if the story is more focused and coherent than SA, it will not only be the best version of one of the best games in one of the best games series of all time, it'll be... well, I think that's good enough, actually.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Hmm. Don't think the graphics is that great. They are good, but i have seen better. The car models is nothing near those in some of the newer racing games (like Grid and Dirt). And almost any new fps got better character models than those is there. But then again, the reason why the graphics is not the best of the best is probably because of the sheer number of models and animations they have to put in to the game. Besides, most people dont choose to play GTA because of the graphics.

TheFreeloader

1) This game is HUGE, so you might have seen better but for performance it doesn't have Crysis requirements.

2)Again, HUGE game with many, many cars, bikes etc, way more than you see in one race in Grid and way more details and structures, so it can't be Grid.

3)Again with the HUG, it has very good models but it can't have state of the art models, because overall it has way more than an FPS.

You really can't ask for the things you said there from GTA, because it's made so that more people can play it not just the ones with "extreme" PC's and it just one game, you can't say "oh but the cars in that racing game are better, the models in that FPS are better, the foliage in Crysis is better, etc". When you are comparing 1 game with 3 or more games that have only one specific thing from the many that GTA does and overall does the best out of it's genre (imo), it doesn't really make sense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3

GTA3 is the weakest of the GTA3 trilogy by a long, long way. The writing and characters were much improved by Vice City

fatshodan

from what i hear the characters and the writing are one of the games strong points. i didnt get much of a chance to see any of the story mode when i had a quick play through on a friends 360, so i guess i cant be sure.... the only things that didnt impress me during that time though were A) graphics, which are being improved and B) car handling.. not necessarily bad controls, just really crappy car physics.... i really hope they sort that becuase i can see myslef having to drive around a lot when it come to getting places etc

CavalAnts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CavalAnts
Member since 2008 • 398 Posts
Nothing special, but still decent.
pcgamer_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 pcgamer_07
Member since 2007 • 1164 Posts

TheFreeloader

They may not have gone with the uber realistic path but it still looks quite gorgeous. I for one think they made the right choice of how the graphics are and considering the type of game GTA is with the amount of detail that goes into the whole game I don't think one can complain that much:).

I'm looking foward to a balanced game in the sense where graphics, gameplay/objectives, story, setting will hopefully be combined equally as well to deliver a fantastic game.

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4551 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"] Though, 69th street? lol, c'mon grow up Rockstar. fatshodan

Aha! That is what Rockstar is all about! Though usually it's a little more subtle and intelligent, like a sports brand called ProLaps...

Ha! That's nasty. I must have missed that one :lol

With San Andreas, you have free mouselook while driving, which gives you a much-needed degree of control and increase in peripheral awareness that makes highspeed driving both comfortable and a pleasure. The same is true of out of car controls - rather than controlling like a generic third person shooter, character movement and camera control are completely independent from one another (so you can be running in one direction and looking in another) until you aim your weapon.fatshodan

I also hope that these control options will be in GTA IV. I hate how mouse look can't be used in Vice City while driving.

Thanks to the Thread Kreator for making this thread. Those screens look good enough for me. I'm not expecting mind-blowing graphics from GTA. I'm so used to the craptastic graphics of the last games and I'm glad that GTA IV is a significant improvement. Hopefully the same can be said of the gameplay.

sammysalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sammysalsa
Member since 2004 • 1832 Posts

the game is actually quite detailed and really good looking considering it's scope

like the europhia engine that has fantastic dynamic animations and the character models are much improved plus the car damage is incredibly detailed.

Cryptecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cryptecks
Just because I saw it mentioned...I too hope the car physics are improved. I played a little on a friend's 360, and that was the one thing that really annoyed me, was how easily the cars spun out and felt like they were on ice all the time. I'm not saying to make it really simple and unrealistic, but I don't think the 360 way was entirely good.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Herrick

Just because I saw it mentioned...I too hope the car physics are improved. I played a little on a friend's 360, and that was the one thing that really annoyed me, was how easily the cars spun out and felt like they were on ice all the time. I'm not saying to make it really simple and unrealistic, but I don't think the 360 way was entirely good.Cryptecks

How was the driving compared to San Andreas or Vice City?

Cryptecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cryptecks
It was really loose, like taking a corner was something you had to really practice before you could pull off a decently high speed turn. It was made more "realistic" but from what I played, it just felt really slippery and not very fun. Basically it was more of a chore than anything to drive around.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Herrick
That sounds crappy. Maybe it's just something one has to get used to.
Cryptecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cryptecks
Yeah I think that may be it, I definitely didn't play it enough to get completely familiar with it, but from what I played it was pretty annoying.
ForsbergFan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ForsbergFan21
Member since 2003 • 2908 Posts
[QUOTE="dos4gw82"]

Cryptecks

The characters are actually quite likeable this time though, and the controls for PC at least should be refined to a point of comfort. If you have the time/desire, just wire up an old Xbox controller to USB and install XBCD to play games on the PC like GTA, you can find easy directions for how to do it on Google.

I didn't like any of the characters in GTA4 except for Packie and Gerry and maybe another 1 or 2. Let me put it this way, if you enjoyed the character developement in GTA:SA, you will be severly disappointed with GTA4 especially with Niko and I'm always scratching my head when people say he's likeable and cool and awesome etc. Niko is 1 dimensional and you will understand what I mean when you play GTA4. I suggest you go play Mafia or GTA:SA before you play GTA4 and you will see.

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts
[QUOTE="Cryptecks"][QUOTE="dos4gw82"]

ForsbergFan21

I didn't like any of the characters in GTA4 except for Packie and Gerry and maybe another 1 or 2. Let me put it this way, if you enjoyed the character developement in GTA:SA, you will be severly disappointed with GTA4 especially with Niko and I'm always scratching my head when people say he's likeable and cool and awesome etc. Niko is 1 dimensional and you will understand what I mean when you play GTA4. I suggest you go play Mafia or GTA:SA before you play GTA4 and you will see.

[spoiler] I connected with two characters: Roman during the Roman's Sorrow mission and Packie when he talks about the problems his family have faced. Every other character is poorly developed (including the almighty Niko) and drops out of the story at will. Where do Roman, Dimitri, Brucie, Bulgarin and Michelle go? What's the purpose of Elizabeth, Manny, Playboy, Dwayne and everyone connected with the McReary's ('cept Packie)? Why is Pegorino, who is apparently so clever that he "knows every avenue and consequence before it happens" suddenly the antagonist?

Niko isn't one dimensional until he leaves Broker; then he turns into a raging psychopath for the rest of the game who shoots down police helicopters while shouting "***** YOU *************!!!" or butcher half of the city for money he doesn't need (thanks, Three Leaf Clover) only to have some bit of character development forced on him out of absolutely nowhere i.e. the hilarious Kate romance angle or the awful ending.

Meh, it's all in my review. [/spoiler]
spank_thru101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 spank_thru101
Member since 2005 • 1041 Posts
While the game is no technical marvel - have the GTA games ever been?! - I pray to God that it runs smoothly. Both Vice City and San Andres were horribly optimized and featured some of the worst PC controls (this side of Arma). When GTA:SA came out I had a P4 3.2GHZ HT with 2gb of ram, and a 256mb 7800GTX and it ran like a geriatric in depends. This one better be optimized for us and it better feature REAL options in the video/audio/control panels.
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts
i like. :D