Finally a review of the PC version of MW2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for CorpseCandleTNT
CorpseCandleTNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CorpseCandleTNT
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts

Near the end he talks about the multi player. and I thought all in all it was a great review.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2009/11/dancing-with-the-devil-ars-reviews-modern-warfare-2-pc.ars

denter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 denter21
Member since 2003 • 1283 Posts
I agree, good review.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I have to admit that's the best review I have read of MW2 yet.

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4 bowlingotter
Member since 2005 • 6464 Posts

That's a fantastic review. I'm very glad to have read it and now I know that I'll be getting this for PS3. So sad. So very sad.

Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Syrenz
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts
yea that was best review I saw so far, although he confused me by first saying even though it's not everything we want multiplayer is still great and things are great yadada and then "skip it"
CorpseCandleTNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CorpseCandleTNT

Yeah he almost lost me there to, but then he said just dont buy it for the PC do to the short SP and horrible MP.

yea that was best review I saw so far, although he confused me by first saying even though it's not everything we want multiplayer is still great and things are great yadada and then "skip it"Syrenz

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bowlingotter
yea that was best review I saw so far, although he confused me by first saying even though it's not everything we want multiplayer is still great and things are great yadada and then "skip it"Syrenz
I think the point was to skip it if you have a console because the multiplayer may be great but the community will be bigger on the consoles.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#8 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
He say's the MP is so unsatisfactory but then he says "online play is still addictive". I mean how many of these obscure sites are we going to dig up just so the locals can say "ohhh mai god! I so totally agree with that score guys!! MW2 is soo yesterday".
Full_Of_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Full_Of_Stars
Member since 2009 • 113 Posts

Good review. Tells me exactly what I want to know with none of the melodrama.

pishti_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pishti_13
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts
Good review.
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bowlingotter

He say's the MP is so unsatisfactory but then he says "online play is still addictive". I mean how many of these obscure sites are we going to dig up just so the locals can say "ohhh mai god! I so totally agree with that score guys!! MW2 is soo yesterday". biggest_loser

You read the whole thing, right?

The MP is unsatisfactory by PC gamers' standards but still manages to be fun. Also says to skip the PC version for the consoles because the console community will be much bigger.

Just because it's an "obscure site" doesn't mean it's not a good review.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#12 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]He say's the MP is so unsatisfactory but then he says "online play is still addictive". I mean how many of these obscure sites are we going to dig up just so the locals can say "ohhh mai god! I so totally agree with that score guys!! MW2 is soo yesterday". bowlingotter

The MP is unsatisfactory by PC gamers' standards but still manages to be fun. Also says to skip the PC version for the consoles because the console community will be much bigger.

You're only saying its a good review because it gives you what you want to hear.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
He say's the MP is so unsatisfactory but then he says "online play is still addictive". I mean how many of these obscure sites are we going to dig up just so the locals can say "ohhh mai god! I so totally agree with that score guys!! MW2 is soo yesterday". biggest_loser
Ummm... if Ars Technica is your idea of obscure, then what constitutes well-known?
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]He say's the MP is so unsatisfactory but then he says "online play is still addictive". I mean how many of these obscure sites are we going to dig up just so the locals can say "ohhh mai god! I so totally agree with that score guys!! MW2 is soo yesterday". bowlingotter

Actually, I wouldn't even consider arstechnica an "obscure site". They are pretty popular.
Full_Of_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Full_Of_Stars

Funny picture - support the boycott lol

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
That's basically what's happening here. The good old fashioned butt kicking never goes out of style.
CorpseCandleTNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CorpseCandleTNT

^^^ thats funny right there. you wont see my name on that list saying in game. LMAO

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bowlingotter

You're only saying its a good review because it gives you what you want to hear.biggest_loser

Now I have literally no idea what angle you're taking, here. What I wanted to hear was "all the fuss about the MP is nothing to worry about, this is a good buy on the PC." I went in expecting that, or something like most of the sheepish reviews that seem to think that a 4 hour single player campaign is ok. It's a good review because it does a good job of pointing out the fact that it's a great game worth playing but didn't just ignore the downfalls of the PC port just because it's hugely popular.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're only saying it's a bad review precisely because it's not what you want to hear. If you don't care about the lack of dedicated servers, great, play away, go nuts. If a review points out bad things about a game that wouldn't bother you, then it's not a review that affects you at all. I happen to care a great deal about the downfalls that were exposed in this review, so it has a significant influence on my expectation, and unfortunately confirms my fears. It certainly did not tell me what I wantedto hear.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Great review, now thats a review that goes into details and explains stuff without hating and bashing. There is one thing i dont understand, why they say to avoid the pc version and buy the console version? I mean it has the same features and the same price. I dont get it, why not to buy the pc version? I thought the pc version of every game is better due to better graphics and mouse aiming!! I guess the old say: "games are better on pc" is incorect.
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bowlingotter
[QUOTE="dakan45"]Great review, now thats a review that goes into details and explains stuff without hating and bashing. There is one thing i dont understand, why they say to avoid the pc version and buy the console version? I mean it has the same features and the same price. I dont get it, why not to buy the pc version? I thought the pc version of every game is better due to better graphics and mouse aiming!! I guess the old say: "games are better on pc" is incorect.

The angle the reviewer was coming from IMO is that the community is going to be larger on the console this time around. Typically the "games are better on pc" thing is applicable because of the online experience with dedicated servers, mods, and a larger community. That's not gonna be the case this time.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dakan45
[QUOTE="bowlingotter"][QUOTE="dakan45"]Great review, now thats a review that goes into details and explains stuff without hating and bashing. There is one thing i dont understand, why they say to avoid the pc version and buy the console version? I mean it has the same features and the same price. I dont get it, why not to buy the pc version? I thought the pc version of every game is better due to better graphics and mouse aiming!! I guess the old say: "games are better on pc" is incorect.

The angle the reviewer was coming from IMO is that the community is going to be larger on the console this time around. Typically the "games are better on pc" thing is applicable because of the online experience with dedicated servers, mods, and a larger community. That's not gonna be the case this time.

Lets just forget the mods and mp for a while. Like batman AA, is it not better on pc as a singleplayer only non moddable game? Does it have to be moddable and have mp to be better on pc? No not really....and that was my point.
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bowlingotter

Lets just forget the mods and mp for a while. Like batman AA, is it not better on pc as a singleplayer only non moddable game? Does it have to be moddable and have mp to be better on pc? No not really....and that was my point.dakan45
I didn't know that the consensus was that Batman was better on PC than consoles. From what I always understood from the loud voices on the subject, the multiplayer and moddable capabilities are what has always set the PC apart, otherwise it's essentially the same game. If there's other reasons that drive you to play the PC version then by all means, play the PC version. But a reviewer is probably going to come from the angle that the PC version of COD6 is crippled in the very area that previous versions were so lauded.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]Lets just forget the mods and mp for a while. Like batman AA, is it not better on pc as a singleplayer only non moddable game? Does it have to be moddable and have mp to be better on pc? No not really....and that was my point.bowlingotter

I didn't know that the consensus was that Batman was better on PC than consoles. From what I always understood from the loud voices on the subject, the multiplayer and moddable capabilities are what has always set the PC apart, otherwise it's essentially the same game. If there's other reasons that drive you to play the PC version then by all means, play the PC version. But a reviewer is probably going to come from the angle that the PC version of COD6 is crippled in the very area that previous versions were so lauded.

i was under the impression that games are better on pc because of better graphics and control.....or that what pc gamer where kept bragging about in SW.
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bowlingotter
i was under the impression that games are better on pc because of better graphics and control.....or that what pc gamer where kept bragging about in SW.dakan45
FPS games for controls, yeah usually, but there's a growing number of people who actually prefer the dual analog sticks, mostly because they've never played the mouse and keyboard and it's not comfortable for them. I know my one friend does. I was mainly talking for the purposes of the review, since I thought that's what the question was. A COD6 review could definitely dock the PC port for crippling the features that made COD a great PC game in previous versions.
Lucifericus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lucifericus
Member since 2009 • 363 Posts

There's no reason to get MW2 on a console if your PC can run it better. If you're getting the game at all, get the best version. Even though the community on the consoles may be bigger, that doesn't mean that the community on the PC version is small. There are a ton of people online and it will most likely continue to grow regardless of this hopeless boycott. If you're that upset about the lack of dedicated servers and mods, skip it. On the other hand, if you can tollerate matchmaking, get it.

Minutes played on xfire.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Multiplayer 5,059,456 minutes

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer 4,045,496 minutes

It doesn't seem to be that far behind COD4.

CorpseCandleTNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CorpseCandleTNT

I did skip it, just got back from the stor and bought Borderlands and dragon age Origans. $106.98 well spent. or at least not in IW's pocket.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

There's no reason to get MW2 on a console if your PC can run it better. If you're getting the game at all, get the best version.

Lucifericus

no reason? you mean besides that everything including the price is identical and only the console version offers you the comfort of playing co-op with people in the same room. (I think you would need to own two copies of MW2 in order to do co-op with a friend on the pc)

dg8794

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dg8794
Member since 2009 • 202 Posts

Full_Of_Stars

wow look how many of them are playing modern warfare 2

TruedUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TruedUp
Member since 2002 • 691 Posts
[QUOTE="dg8794"]

[QUOTE="Full_Of_Stars"]

wow look how many of them are playing modern warfare 2

That right there is the image of the day. Thats awesome. Aha!
Lucifericus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lucifericus

[QUOTE="Lucifericus"]

There's no reason to get MW2 on a console if your PC can run it better. If you're getting the game at all, get the best version.

_Pedro_

no reason? you mean besides that everything including the price is identical and only the console version offers you the comfort of playing co-op with people in the same room. (I think you would need to own two copies of MW2 in order to do co-op with a friend on the pc)

Don't really know if PC gamers care about that.
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bowlingotter

There's no reason to get MW2 on a console if your PC can run it better. If you're getting the game at all, get the best version.Even though the community on the consoles may be bigger, that doesn't mean that the community on the PC version is small.Lucifericus

It's gonna be different in every situation. I have a lot of friends who are going to playing the console version. I wouldn't mind typically by instead getting the PC version and reaping the benefits of dedicated servers and the huge community. But in light of this, since we're talking about a primarily multiplayer online game, the community size is a rather significant factor. This really blurs the line in what separates the "best" version from the inferior ones.

Lucifericus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lucifericus

[QUOTE="Lucifericus"]There's no reason to get MW2 on a console if your PC can run it better. If you're getting the game at all, get the best version.Even though the community on the consoles may be bigger, that doesn't mean that the community on the PC version is small.bowlingotter

It's gonna be different in every situation. I have a lot of friends who are going to playing the console version. I wouldn't mind typically by instead getting the PC version and reaping the benefits of dedicated servers and the huge community. But in light of this, since we're talking about a primarily multiplayer online game, the community size is a rather significant factor. This really blurs the line in what separates the "best" version from the inferior ones.

I don't know man I've played COD4 on PS3, I usually end up having to mute half of the people because they are obnoxious. Community on consoles may be bigger but also a lot more immature.
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bowlingotter

] wow look how many of them are playing modern warfare 2dg8794

you missed the part where apparently that's a fraction of the community. log on steam and see for yourself. but yeah regardless, boycotts are not going to do anything.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

There's no reason to get MW2 on a console if your PC can run it better. If you're getting the game at all, get the best version. Even though the community on the consoles may be bigger, that doesn't mean that the community on the PC version is small. There are a ton of people online and it will most likely continue to grow regardless of this hopeless boycott. If you're that upset about the lack of dedicated servers and mods, skip it. On the other hand, if you can tollerate matchmaking, get it.

Minutes played on xfire.

Lucifericus

well you have to consider that cod4 is pretty old by now so it's natural for the number to go down some since other fps's came out afterwards. while mw2 is new so most owners will indeed be playing it.

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bowlingotter
I don't know man I've played COD4 on PS3, I usually end up having to mute half of the people because they are obnoxious. Community on consoles may be bigger but also a lot more immature.Lucifericus
For the most part I agree, but the problem is that was mostly caused by matchmaking when you couldn't choose your server. I can only hope that it doesn't trickle down to the PC, because I still end up in TF2 servers that are annoying as hell on PC, only I have the option of logging off and finding another one.
k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
I'm glad I live in Korea. Neglecting PC gaming like that is unacceptable here and I suppose that consoles never really took hold here.
Full_Of_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Full_Of_Stars

[QUOTE="Lucifericus"]

Minutes played on xfire.

Ontain

well you have to consider that cod4 is pretty old by now so it's natural for the number to go down some since other fps's came out afterwards. while mw2 is new so most owners will indeed be playing it.

Yeah COD4 is 2 years old and MW2 is 2 days old. For it still to have that number ofpeople playing after 2 years is quite a feat, it remains to be seen how well MW2 will do over the same time period.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Minutes played on xfire.

Lucifericus

The campaign is very short and can't be extended with mods and custom made contents. The multiplayer is laggy and will not last because is useless to clans and modders. The fact that the 2 years old COD 4 online numbers > MW 2 first week online numbers is very representative. COD 4 will stay in good shape for a good amount of years, while MW 2 multiplayer will deflate in weeks.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucifericus"]

Minutes played on xfire.

Ondoval

The campaign is very short and can't be extended with mods and custom made contents. The multiplayer is laggy and will not last because is useless to clans and modders. The fact that the 2 years old COD 4 online numbers > MW 2 first week online numbers is very representative. COD 4 will stay in good shape for a good amount of years, while MW 2 multiplayer will deflate in weeks.

yeah look at how well cod2 is holding up thanks to dedicated servers and the mod and map making commuinty in one year MW2 will have fallen off behind cod4 and cod2 and certainly will not have the same life span the past game have had cod1 and UO are still going strong being #15 on xfire after all these years.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

Minutes played on xfire.

Lucifericus

also look at this...as of today:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Xfire users playing per day

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Call of Duty 2

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
Great review. I totally agree. The good bad ugly part sums it up pretty nicely.
CorpseCandleTNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CorpseCandleTNT

it looks like there are some other bad reviews for the pc out there. just saw gamestops review. 8.5 less then cod4 ha. the game isnt balanced for that.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Having started playing the single player portion of the game I have to say that the sp is very weak. It is so heavily scripted and the enemy soldiers are so stupid that I feel like Im playing Soldier of Fortune: Payback. There are cool ideas here but they are so brief that in the end they dont matter. The Favela level was simply horrid. A shooting gallery the likes of which I have not seen for years.

edit: and now a nice romp through an american suburb turned into a boring drawn out last stand sort of deal in a mcdonalds...