Favorite game from the Quake series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

venomblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 venomblack
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts
What's your personal favorite Quake game? For me, I'd say the best Quake games were back in the day when Quake 1 and then 2 were released. I really enjoyed those. I still enjoy Quake 3: Arena however. But its not that revolutionary. Also, I miss the 64 player servers that were jam packed. Quake 4, while basically the same deathmatch experience as Quake 3 is lacking I feel. I own it, but I don't really play that one that much. I find myself still playing Quake 3.
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts
i'd dabbled with pc gaming before, but it was really seeing quake 2 running on a voodoo 2 that got me into pc gaming, blew me away how awesome looking it was, and stuff like recoil on the machinegun (wow!) and flying enemies really amazed me - really, really an amazing game

but quake 2 lasted me a year, maybe two - i've been playing quake 3 since the day it launched, off and on, but i keep coming back to it - the game is just deathmatch heaven

i pretty much didn't like anything about quake 4 except the lighting (playing the game without the machinegun-torch makes it way, way nicer - the environmental lighting is amazing), and i managed to miss out on quake 1, and the fact that it's just a straightforward run n gun shooter means i have little incentive to go back and try it out, as cool a game as it may have been back when it was released, it's no doom

i voted quake 3, but quake 2 was a close second
dlobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dlobo
Member since 2006 • 239 Posts

I loved quake, to me its the best, shame there was never a true sequel.

Quake 2 was ok, but I quickly droped it for Half-Life

I hated quake 3, I don't like that kind of multi player FPS, like unreal an such,

I love quake 4, I think its way better than doom3 or prey, and that they really improved a lot of weak story loose ends from quake 2.

dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts
Although the original Quake was a great game for its time... i think i prefer Quake 4
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
Must be Quake I for me; great atmosphere, I love that game. But I admit: We used to play Quake II multiplayer on LAN a lot back when I was a student.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Love Quake 4, one of my favourite FPS. (I voted for Q4). Quake II comes in second - a very enjoyable game, then and now...
dlobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dlobo

What made the gretter impresion in me from quake 1, where the enemies. They where so much cooler than the strogg.

Fiends are the best enemy from any game, Ogres where second. I also loved the Scrags, and the zombies where so scary, specially if you where out of rockets or granades. The atmosphere was so amazing! Even if he story wasn't almost non existing, it was so great.

Only the final boss was a dissapointment.

Also the secret Dope fish from comander keen was great (which you can also see in Sin epidodes).

venomblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 venomblack
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts

What made the gretter impresion in me from quake 1, where the enemies. They where so much cooler than the strogg.

Fiends are the best enemy from any game, Ogres where second. I also loved the Scrags, and the zombies where so scary, specially if you where out of rockets or granades. The atmosphere was so amazing! Even if he story wasn't almost non existing, it was so great.

Only the final boss was a dissapointment.

Also the secret Dope fish from comander keen was great (which you can also see in Sin epidodes).

dlobo
agreed. Quake 1 had a "creepy" atmosphere that the others lacked.
EyeNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#9 EyeNixon
Member since 2004 • 1412 Posts
How did so many people vote for Quake 4? That game sucked! It was just Quake slapped onto the Doom 3 engine, give me a break.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
How did so many people vote for Quake 4? That game sucked! It was just Quake slapped onto the Doom 3 engine, give me a break.EyeNixon
It's also their opinion.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
How did so many people vote for Quake 4? That game sucked! It was just Quake slapped onto the Doom 3 engine, give me a break.EyeNixon

gamespot is full of people that have never played Quake 1 and 2. 
EyeNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EyeNixon
[QUOTE="EyeNixon"]How did so many people vote for Quake 4? That game sucked! It was just Quake slapped onto the Doom 3 engine, give me a break.Doom_HellKnight
It's also their opinion.

Pretty dumb all the same.
dlobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dlobo

Quake 4 is soooo much better than doom3, team combat, no monster-in-a-closeth once and again, weapons that actually felt good, great history, vehicles, great voice acting and dialogues

EyeNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EyeNixon
Yeah, Doom 3 sucked, but just a little more than Quake 4, Quake 4 is still an incredibly average shooter with no real redeeming qualities.
PHeMoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 PHeMoX
Member since 2004 • 137 Posts

I hated quake 3, I don't like that kind of multi player FPS, like unreal an such,

I love quake 4, I think its way better than doom3 or prey, and that they really improved a lot of weak story loose ends from quake 2.

dlobo
Wowa don't call Quake III similar to Unreal, it's definately NOT!!! Unreal Tournament was way better than Quake III, Quake III was overrated. I liked Quake I best, and I don't really see any of the sequels as true sequels to that game. They've lost the original style. I really like the raw, chilling Quake I style. I hated Quake 4, totally not what I had hoped for. Infact, after the demo I couldn't think anything other but 'did they really choose to not change anything gameplay-wise from Doom3 ?!?!'. Such a disappointment really. I hope Quake 5 will be a true sequel to Quake 1, but I've also got my eyes on Quake Wars. Seems very promising, although it's style is different.
dlobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dlobo
t
[QUOTE="dlobo"]

PHeMoX

Wowa don't call Quake III similar to Unreal, it's definately NOT!!! Unreal Tournament was way better than Quake III, Quake III was overrated. I liked Quake I best, and I don't really see any of the sequels as true sequels to that game. They've lost the original **** I really like the raw, chilling Quake I **** I hated Quake 4, totally not what I had hoped for. Infact, after the demo I couldn't think anything other but 'did they really choose to not change anything gameplay-wise from Doom3 ?!?!'. Such a disappointment really. I hope Quake 5 will be a true sequel to Quake 1, but I've also got my eyes on Quake Wars. Seems very promising, although it's ****is different.

What I meant is that even I really enjoy single player in quake games (as well as doom, unreal), I dont care for the MP, because I feel is not very reallistic, since you got exagerated, sometimes overworked weapons, and you can run exageratedly fast, and jump exageratedly high.

I prefer MP games like Counter strike, or Call of Duty, since theyre more tactical. But still I loved the Single player portion of the other games.

Iffy350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Iffy350
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
[QUOTE="Doom_HellKnight"][QUOTE="EyeNixon"]How did so many people vote for Quake 4? That game sucked! It was just Quake slapped onto the Doom 3 engine, give me a break.EyeNixon
It's also their opinion.

Pretty dumb all the same.

I agree. Quake 4 was a FPS dipped into a vat containing Doom 3 elements.
StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
Quake 4, it actually had a story like quake 2 instead of quake 3 arena
PutU2REM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 PutU2REM
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts
I'm going to get flamed for this, but I hate id.

This is not just prejudice. I've played every game they've made and I've disliked all of them on their own merits. Wolfenstein 3D, Doom 1, and Quake 1 were technological milestones, but as games they suck. They have no plot, little or no variation in gameplay, and no finesse.  Even the MP is subpar, particularly for people with high pings, with other games of the same era having much more interesting gameplay modes.

And that's why I voted for Quake 4. Raven did a much better job of it than id could have, and though it isn't fantastic by any means, it has a plot and more purpose than A-to-key-to-B. I wasn't relieved when I finished it as I was after Quake 2, the most tedious shooter I've ever played.
jamesgj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20 jamesgj
Member since 2005 • 1190 Posts
I'd have to say Quake 1 for me.
zayl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zayl99
Member since 2007 • 614 Posts
Quake 4 only because I'm not old enough to have enjoyed the originals when they were at their best.