- Crash on startup

- Crash randomly walking

- Crash loading game

- Crash on fast travel

So far I've tried :

- The .ini fix- Turning off autosave

- Run the executable only, not the launcher

- Verify game files

- Re-order mods (only 2 mods, one is a piece of clothing, the other is a freeside apartment)

This game is the most infuriating unstable piece of shit I've seen in a long time, forget doing the DLC's, I haven't even been up to see Mr House yet.

#2 Posted by PredatorRules (10713 posts) -

@ZombieKiller7 said:

Only about 20 hours into the campaign so far I've had :

- Crash on startup

- Crash randomly walking

- Crash loading game

- Crash on fast travel

So far I've tried :

- Verify game files

- Re-order mods (only 2 mods, one is a piece of clothing, the other is a freeside apartment)

This game is the most infuriating unstable piece of shit I've seen in a long time, forget doing the DLC's, I haven't even been up to see Mr House yet.

Is your game patched to the latest? they shoul've solved all the crashing by now.

I don't like the game anyway, IMO the best was Fallout 3 GOTY.

#3 Posted by SaintSatan (1696 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@ZombieKiller7 said:

- Crash on startup

- Crash randomly walking

- Crash loading game

- Crash on fast travel

So far I've tried :

- Verify game files

Is your game patched to the latest? they shoul've solved all the crashing by now.

This and I agree, FO3 was better. I can't see how people think NV was better. FO3 had a far better world to explore.

#4 Edited by bulby_g (1847 posts) -

I'm always shocked when people say they have problems with the Fallout games. I've spent 100's of hours on 3 and NV on the 360 and PC and never had a single problem.

#5 Posted by SaintSatan (1696 posts) -

@bulby_g: They were very very buggy at launch but they've been long fixed. Not sure why OP is having problems.

#6 Edited by 04dcarraher (22093 posts) -

Need to find the mod or mods you have installed that are causing the issue

#7 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

I'm currently playing NV again with a few mods and a massive texture pack. Aside from occasional stutters as it reads the massive textures off my slower HDD, I have no issues with it.

#8 Posted by skipper847 (5418 posts) -

Try using the 4GB mod and un official patch and stutter remover.

#9 Edited by pelvist (6089 posts) -

@bulby_g said:

I'm always shocked when people say they have problems with the Fallout games. I've spent 100's of hours on 3 and NV on the 360 and PC and never had a single problem.

Same here apart from floating enemies and that wierd head turning glitch I never had a single crash while playing the game.

#10 Posted by glez13 (9516 posts) -

AFAIK the only persistent problem the game has after the last patch is the infinite loop loading screen. Have you tried playing without the mods?

#11 Posted by Morphic (4345 posts) -

Ive experienced crashes too with NV. Not constant or anything. Just every once in a while.

#12 Posted by Angry_Mushroom (708 posts) -

@ZombieKiller7 said:

Welcome to Obsidian/Bethesda. Please enjoy your IKEA like piece of software. There are a few mods aimed specifically aimed at fixing the bugs and issues in the game. I don't remember which they are, but you can search through the Nexus forums. They have an impressive amount of mods aimed at just bugs.

I don't know why people keep claiming Obsidian fixed the FO3 bugs... since I have all of them on both games. This includes the .ini fix issue and spazzing HDR with crossfire. I'm really hoping the bug test Fallout 4 before releasing it. Otherwise... much as I love this game, I'll be waiting for it to go on sale.

#13 Posted by kitty (115303 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@ZombieKiller7 said:

- Crash on startup

- Crash randomly walking

- Crash loading game

- Crash on fast travel

So far I've tried :

- Verify game files

Fallout3 GOTY won't even launch for me. I've deleted it/re-installed more than a handful of times. Steam always comes up with an error saying that it can't launch the game.
No mods are installed either. I just accepted that I wasted money and bought the xbox versions.

#14 Posted by CrimsonBrute (24754 posts) -
@Angry_Mushroom said:

Welcome to Obsidian/Bethesda. Please enjoy your IKEA like piece of software.

That should be on every Bethesda game from this point forward.

#15 Posted by Coseniath (3173 posts) -

@ZombieKiller7:

This reminds me a lot, how was FO NV at day 1. I still enjoyed it though :P

Anyway just patch the game to the latest and also since I don't know your speccs, when I used a better GPU I had fewer crashes (from GTX275 to GTX570).

Also FO NV for a more complete game in terms of gameplay/combat/items/balance etc etc and FO3 for the great story and epic enviroment.

#17 Edited by PredatorRules (10713 posts) -

@kitty said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ZombieKiller7 said:

- Crash on startup

- Crash randomly walking

- Crash loading game

- Crash on fast travel

So far I've tried :

- Verify game files

Fallout3 GOTY won't even launch for me. I've deleted it/re-installed more than a handful of times. Steam always comes up with an error saying that it can't launch the game.

No mods are installed either. I just accepted that I wasted money and bought the xbox versions.

Might be some Steam version issues, I heard they had problems with their DiRT3 version as well.

#18 Posted by kitty (115303 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@kitty said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ZombieKiller7 said:

- Crash on startup

- Crash randomly walking

- Crash loading game

- Crash on fast travel

So far I've tried :

- Verify game files

Might be some Steam version issues, I heard they had problems with their DiRT3 version as well.

That sucks. :( I'm interested in dirt 3 now that I've got 3 monitors. :P
NV works just fine. I suppose I could try and contact them and see what could be done.

#19 Posted by Arthas045 (5687 posts) -

The game has a lot of glitches and game freezes. Nothing that made me stop playing though.

#20 Posted by glez13 (9516 posts) -

@kitty: A quick look at Steam's FO3: GOTY page shows that it is a known issue. You should check the suggested fixes there.

#21 Edited by Planeforger (16849 posts) -

@Angry_Mushroom: Fallout NV was a hell of a lot more stable for me at launch than Fallout 3 (which crashed constantly). I've never had any major problems with New Vegas. It's the better game both technically and content-wise.

And for what it's worth, Obsidian's last two games have been surprisingly stable and mostly bug-free. That's more than you could say for Bethesda's entire catalogue of games. I don't get why peoplr single out Obsidian for these things.

#22 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4830 posts) -

The only game that crashed more than New Vegas for me was FO3. The big difference is that I had NV modded to hell and back and FO3 was pretty much vanilla and still crashed more often (not to mention other ridiculous problems absent in NV). I still loved New Vegas though despite all the crashes.

#23 Edited by kitty (115303 posts) -

@glez13 said:

@kitty: A quick look at Steam's FO3: GOTY page shows that it is a known issue. You should check the suggested fixes there.

Alright. I feel pretty stupid for not actually checking. :P Thanks. But I guess this gives me a chance for another run and with mods. :)

#24 Posted by alim298 (2734 posts) -

I've only had crashes on loading screen and that's probably because I save and load too often. Maybe THAT is the key to preventing other forms of crash lol.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#25 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4067 posts) -

Uninstall the game and play something else instead.

The game is a miserable,pathetic and buggy as hell port running on an outdated and unoptimized engine.

#26 Posted by Socijalisticka (1555 posts) -

Your PC will want to hurl you for playing such a garbage RPG.

#27 Posted by kozzy1234 (35929 posts) -

Beat the game 9 times only had 2 crashes, one of which was because of mod conflicts, once i fixed the issue it was fine. Something on you're end

#28 Posted by Fire_Wa11 (600 posts) -

Fallout New Vegas was my 2nd favorite game of all time; it may have gotten bumped one down recently by Xcom: Enemy Within to #3 though.

Avatar image for hypanovapenguin
#29 Edited by hypanovapenguin (25 posts) -

FO3 is probably my favorite game of all time - along with Skyrim and Little Big Adventure 1 (& 2).

PS: I never had any major many crash/issues with FO3 or FO-NV.

#30 Edited by rabakill (884 posts) -

I liked New Vegas more, it seemed much more atmospheric with the old west apocalypse setting over the bland fallout 3. It was so monotone. The main story of Fallout 3 was better, but even then it had its weak points. New Vegas actually seemed like a more realistic place, especially when the weather mods were on. Both of them suffered from a terrible engine though, the running, shooting, melee was so bad in both of the games, same as Skyrim.

Avatar image for steaminpotatoes
#31 Posted by SteaminPotatoes (191 posts) -

Like others have said they were patched and work great , however i recommend you try installing NVSE http://nvse.silverlock.org/ and using there launcher to start the game, also run game without no mods to see if that's causing the problem, also latest drivers , i know i know but have to ask because it can be so easily forgoton, specs ?