Fallout 3 GOTY or New Vegas?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts

Heya folks, I'm pretty sure Fallout 3 and NV are going on sale some time this sale season and I was wondering which did you guys like more? FO: NV( a steamworks game) is $10 at best buy with free shipping to the store but I'm guessing FO3: GOTY will hit under $15 sometime soon. Which would you prefer, or which did you enjoy more? I've never played a Fallout game before so which would be accessible?

l0ner_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 l0ner_1
Member since 2003 • 353 Posts

From my prespective of people answering these type of questions, like The Elder Scrolls series. If you played the first one, first and then the 2nd. People typically answer the first one. BUT, if you played the 2nd one first, and then went back to the first one, people tend to pick the 2nd one as their favorite.

I personally liked and enjoyed both of them throughly. Though, I would have to pick the first one as more enjoyable as it was, at the time a new idea/experience. These two are, in pretty much every sense of it, the same game. So, running into new vegas after fallout 3, there was no excitement just the same stuff I did in Fallout 3.

nocturial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nocturial
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

i'd say go for New Vegas, it has much more interesting story and a lot of fun places to go. It's not as buggy as it was at the release day, the patches fixed it up pretty good. To make it clear i own both games with all the DLCs and imo New Vegas is a better deal ;)

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#4 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Im hoping for a huge Fallout NV price drop on Steam.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CoolSkAGuy

mhofever

For some reason I don't expect it to go under $20, so that BB.com deal looks sweeeeet!!

Also these games have graphics mods or hires textures right? :o how are the mod coms on these games?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Depends, were you a fan of FO1 and 2? if so go for FO:NV.

Never playied a FO game before? well FO 3 will do fine :) It is longer overall, with more things to do. altho less well written, and less of an rpg.

macronia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 macronia
Member since 2008 • 585 Posts
F3 by miles , I liked it much better than NV , the story was more interesting and the game was very fun and wasn't boring as NV and if i had the chance to play it again i will get the GOTY edition and play it again cuz i want to try its DLC
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Heya folks, I'm pretty sure Fallout 3 and NV are going on sale some time this sale season and I was wondering which did you guys like more? FO: NV( a steamworks game) is $10 at best buy with free shipping to the store but I'm guessing FO3: GOTY will hit under $15 sometime soon. Which would you prefer, or which did you enjoy more? I've never played a Fallout game before so which would be accessible?

CoolSkAGuy

I highly suggest you start with Fallout 2, with the essential mod - Fallout 2 Restoration Project, which adds a ton of improvements & additional content. Then after you finish that masterpiece, you'll want to play Fallout: New Vegas, which is the next best thing.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

New Vegas is the better experience; it's packed with more locations and more interesting quests.

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts

F3. The setting is tons better and the DLCs are way better. Other than that they play the same but with different story lines.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

Get both

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

New Vegas is a better game, but if you haven't played 3 get it. More content for the price.

That is, if it's under $15. If it doesn't get under $15, just get New Vegas. It's waaaaay better than 3, just less stuff since it doesn't come with the DLC.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I think New Vegas is a much better experience. The setting, the characters you meet, the quests... all of it was far more interesting than Fallout 3.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#14 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

New Vegas is a much better game, bugs are much less of a problem on the PC version, has had two ok DLCs instead of four garbage ones and one decent one with Fallout 3.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

If this were a System Wars poll, F3 would win lol

dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dangamit
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts
I played both. In my opinion Fallout 3 is a lot better. The setting, the atmosphere, and locations are far more interesting than NV. God, this thread makes me wonna play F3 all over again lol.
Partridge84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Partridge84
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts

I enjoyed both. Vegas maybe slightly more because of the smoother gameplay with less bugs.

But if you like Fallout 3 you'll like Vegas and vice versa. I see no reason not to get both as they're not that expensive right now.

Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

[QUOTE="mhofever"]

CoolSkAGuy

For some reason I don't expect it to go under $20, so that BB.com deal looks sweeeeet!!

Also these games have graphics mods or hires textures right? :o how are the mod coms on these games?

... it's $14.99 on steam right now, have you not checked todays daily deals yet?

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CoolSkAGuy

[QUOTE="CoolSkAGuy"]

[QUOTE="mhofever"]

Meat_Wad_Fan

... it's $14.99 on steam right now, have you not checked todays daily deals yet?

Yeah I posted that before the daily deals, I was wrong :P
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Id say both..Fallout 3 was more barren type of area..Think new vegas had a lot more going for it in this area...Both are very decent rpg type games..Im sure fallout 4 will also come out after syrim is done..Unless they go on to make elder scrolls six right away for the next systems..

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

I love FO3 because you get to fight super mutants and all kinds of creatures, and everything is packed so tight that it never lets up, it's almost arcade like. However I also loved New Vegas when I played it, and playing either before the other does not really matter. The biggest letdown of NV was that there were no epic creatures like the gigantic super mutants that were in FO3, and that there are no super mutants which imo are much more fun to kill than scorpions and humans. The best in NV are the 4 legendary monsters, which are great but not in the same way.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

New Vegas, New Vegas, New Vegas. FO3 is really **** compared to it and crap when it isn't.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 millerlight89

I love FO3 because you get to fight super mutants and all kinds of creatures, and everything is packed so tight that it never lets up, it's almost arcade like. However I also loved New Vegas when I played it, and playing either before the other does not really matter. The biggest letdown of NV was that there were no epic creatures like the gigantic super mutants that were in FO3, and that there are no super mutants which imo are much more fun to kill than scorpions and humans. The best in NV are the 4 legendary monsters, which are great but not in the same way.

True_Sounds

2 pretty big guys right here. Hell one even has super in it.

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TailBlood
Member since 2011 • 944 Posts

Fallout 3 was something totally different when it came out. New vegas feels more like an expansion than a full retail game (for what I've heard). Still I'd pick both up. Fallout 3 must be less than 10 at this point, while NV is about 15.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#25 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
FO3 + DLC has more content and more mods available. NV is overall a better and refined game.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 millerlight89

Fallout 3 was something totally different when it came out. New vegas feels more like an expansion than a full retail game (for what I've heard). Still I'd pick both up. Fallout 3 must be less than 10 at this point, while NV is about 15.

TailBlood

Fallout 3 was not totally different. It was Oblivion with guns. Not totally different, at all. NV feels like an expansion? Is that why I got more gamplay time out of it than FO3 :?

Edit - Oh, "so you heard." Do you believe everything you hear?

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I liked FO3 more than vegas, a better world, bigger, more to do, more locations, longer game, better story. It is way more buggy though but that didnt break the experience for me.

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TailBlood
Member since 2011 • 944 Posts

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

millerlight89

Fallout 3 was not totally different. It was Oblivion with guns. Not totally different, at all. NV feels like an expansion? Is that why I got more gamplay time out of it than FO3 :?

Edit - Oh, "so you heard." Do you believe everything you hear?

Were there any shooter-rpgs set in a post apocalyptic wasteland back in 2008? I never said it was innovative, but there was it was different from any other game released that year. You do a good job of taking things out of context. And the "so I heard" thing is essentially that. I didn't believe it, hence the parenthicals. Good job, your doing great. Perhaps slowing down the post counts may actually help you understand better :)

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Fallout: New Vegas is a much better game unless you are a fan of terrible writing.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 True_Sounds

The biggest pro's for New Vegas are the addition of ironsights (but I bet there's a mod for this in FA3) and that there are some pretty good story-driven sidequests, where Fallout 3 was more about exploring the world and discovering the secrets and less focused on a story (lets face it the main plot is as cliche as they come). But the reason I think FO3 is still a good choice is that you get the full package, and they are both great games so you will probably want to come back and play New Vegas afterwards, and by then hopefully the last few DLCs will be released, which as far as I understand help flesh out the main plot. After you beat New Vegas the game ends and you can only keep playing if you reload an old save. So it kind of sucks not having continuity if you want to play the later DLCs.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CoolSkAGuy
Can you use hires textures or Graphics mod to make the game look better?
mrblueberrycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mrblueberrycg
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

New Vegas is a better game: better RPG, more factions. more choices, much better writing. Fallout 3 has a better setting and some really fun quests. Overall, New Vegas is better but I would get both of them because they are very fun and addictive. Even though Fallout 1 and 2 are still far more superior.

Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

I haven't played New Vegas, but F3's gunplay just wasn't fun to me. I didn't like feeling reliant on VATS, and shooting the gun w/o vats wasn't satisfying. Everything else was pretty cool though. I also kinda wish it felt like my attributes affected my game more. It seemed like the perks and skills didn't change the game much.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

True_Sounds

New Vegas has Super Mutants.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 True_Sounds

Perhaps there were some and I had forgotten, but there were not nearly as much as in FO3. Almost all the enemies were indigenous wild creatures or different factions of humans. There were other varieties of mutants yes.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

New Vegas (by far). It's better written, a better RPG, and it's closer "in spirit" to Fallout 1 and 2. I really dislikedFO3 but I enjoyed NV probably more than I should have.