Elder Scrolls Online, success or failed attempt? Your guess?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Curious where you guys think it will land. I'll probably end up buying it but I'm still unsure how well it will do.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

I think it'll be a hit.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

I think the over monetization will effect it on the pc but not so much on consoles.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

I think it will deliver on what it promises.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

It was a decent game overall and quite good for an MMO. I think it will do moderately well. It won't dethrone WoW but it should still pull in decent subs.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#7 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Free to play in the first year. Good enough for f2p, but not for a sub.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

considering the game is downright bad.... complete miss. combat is awful, graphics arent as good as skyrim, exploration is not there, game doesnt feel like a TES game at all....

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BSC14

@vfibsux said:

I think you're right on the $$ here.

It will go F2P for sure.,,,when is the question I think.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Like nearly every other so-called "AAA" MMORPG, post-WoW, my guess is it will go f2p within the year.

I have ZERO interest in playing this game, free or otherwise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

It's not bad.... just not great either. its another GW2 ... on with elder scrolls, and an actual good combat/trinity/dungeon system.... so in other words, potentially a GOOD version of GW2.... for PvE'rs ... and even ebtter for PvPers.

lol at the people that said trinity wasn't needed... called it as an epic fail from the start.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12  Edited By couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts

Not bothered with it.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BSC14

@MBirdy88 said:

It's not bad.... just not great either. its another GW2 ... on with elder scrolls, and an actual good combat/trinity/dungeon system.... so in other words, potentially a GOOD version of GW2.... for PvE'rs ... and even ebtter for PvPers.

lol at the people that said trinity wasn't needed... called it as an epic fail from the start.

Agree 100% about the trinity thing. Said it from the start too because without some kind of organized combat role it turns into a massive mess.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

IMO failed attempt, all we gamers wanted is Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim with co-op - that's it.

They've spent too much time and money on a game that no one will care off in few months from it's day of release - meaning the game will fail and forcing to become a free to play.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

The PvE/exploration part is fun, but with very low replayability (you barely will return to a zone which has its quest done). This part alone can get busy the players for a few months, but at the end probably will be not enough to assure the subscriptions.

The RvR, instead, is nothing sort of spectacular, with a HUGE map and interesting mechanics, but it's in the hands of Zenimax and the community to build how each realm becames balanced or not. The final experience can became really enjoyable (or not) based in so many things that is hard to predict...

On the other had, I disagree about the criticism against the GW2 model of "no trinity": no trinity is much better for the whole experience, and trinity itself will have a very small role in ESO (due dungens are build towards groups of 2-4 players). In terms of combat GW2 crushes this game, but I will buy ESO and I will give it a try.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Well, personally I've never been able to get into Elder Scroll Games (tried Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim and something just puts me off), yet I had a lot of fun in the beta and will probably buy the MMO, so I guess it has done SOME THINGS right.

And enough with the F2P = failure thinking, it's not like that anymore. People need to learn how business works.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

It will do will at launch, due to a large ammount of box sales then go f2p within a year because the game wont be worth the sub fee for most people.

@MBirdy88: But an mmo doesnt need a trinity. In fact they should move away from trinities too.

Instead they should bring back roles that once were commonplace such as support and controller. City of Heroes was nothing short of brilliance when it came to roles, and the enchanter from EverQuest is the best mmorpg class ever, neither CoH or EverQuest 1 uses the overly dumbed down trinity system we see today.

That said, the trinity system still beats the mess that is a certain DPS fest that I wont mention.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

PvP seems fun but I want to see end game pve. I'd buy it for the initial month.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Maroxad said:

It will do will at launch, due to a large ammount of box sales then go f2p within a year because the game wont be worth the sub fee for most people.

@MBirdy88: But an mmo doesnt need a trinity. In fact they should move away from trinities too.

Instead they should bring back roles that once were commonplace such as support and controller. City of Heroes was nothing short of brilliance when it came to roles, and the enchanter from EverQuest is the best mmorpg class ever, neither CoH or EverQuest 1 uses the overly dumbed down trinity system we see today.

That said, the trinity system still beats the mess that is a certain DPS fest that I wont mention.

Oh I agree. by trinity i just mean the 3 core staples. I would welcome the branches further out in the trees.... even vanilla/ TBC wow had... well kinda controller classes... but agreed not quite the same as the ones you mention.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@vfibsux said:

This is what i was thinking after playing the beta.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I think the over monetization will effect it on the pc but not so much on consoles.

wrong,

because consolites will have to pay online access fees,

on top of subscriptions

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Movement looks bad, graphics aren't that special(their budget is huge)

World looks boring, quests look bad, and p2p

no thanks... but I am obv just judging from gameplay videos

It'll do fine because of the name though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

wrong,

on top of subscriptions

My friend, you misunderstand. Consoles will pay it, pc gamers wont. It appears I am right.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@killatwill15 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

wrong,

on top of subscriptions

My friend, you misunderstand. Consoles will pay it, pc gamers wont. It appears I am right.

pay what,

the **** are you talking about,

the subscription fee is still there for consoles and pc.

so really what are you talking about?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Maroxad

@MBirdy88: I am kinda worried the trinity is in personally. Interdephendance does not mean co-operation. Sure the trinity being in there when well implemented is a great thing, but what is the case with a lot of modern mmos and their implementation of it is that you will be ultraspecialized in your tanking or healing role that there is absolutely no way you can really assist fellow players.

A lot of modern trinity games you dephend not on the team's ability to co-operate but rather everyone to not suck at their role. Early WoW was good with this though, paladins and shammies got pretty close to the support role that I have come to love and while raids tanking in TBC, it was not uncommon for me to use restoration spells, if the enemy was either slow enough or gave me the opportunity to quickly leave bear form to bark skin or innervate the healer with the least ammount of mana, I would take advantage of that opportunity.

Edit: Personally, I find tank, damage dealer and healer to be the least interesting of all the mmo roles. Both support and control are much more interesting, BUT in order for them to work, you need a semi-competant dev team (something which is appearantly lacking with most modern mmo dev teams).

carlandcarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28 carlandcarl
Member since 2004 • 1251 Posts

I hope they go free to play at some point. The Beta was very fun but not sure if I'm willing to play a monthly fee for it.

It'll be a subpar subscription game but would be one of the best free to play games if they went that route. But then again I don't want pay to win that can come with free to play either so im torn between the two

CGPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CGPG
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Undoubtably it will be a big hit to start with but eventually will wain.

Is it going to be subscription based? The ONLY MMORPG I'm aware to that is subscription based is the big one.

All the others are free to play.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BSC14

I just can’t decide if I want to get it. It can’t be as bad as GW2 and from what I hear it gets a lot better once you’re past lvl 10ish.

But those animations….they are just sooo bad. Not sure I can stomach it.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vfibsux

@BSC14 said:

I just can’t decide if I want to get it. It can’t be as bad as GW2 and from what I hear it gets a lot better once you’re past lvl 10ish.

While WvW disappointed me and I eventually quit playing, GW2 grabbed me from the start and I leveled two 80's for fun....and I am not a pve guy. And you have to admit GW2 has been very successful despite you not liking it. I have had free access to the 24/7 beta in ESO and have zero desire to play it. It was a chore to try to grind it out past level 10 even, it just was not fun to play. The only reason I would play this game is the pvp, but it is not worth a sub.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BSC14

@vfibsux said:

@BSC14 said:

While WvW disappointed me and I eventually quit playing, GW2 grabbed me from the start and I leveled two 80's for fun....and I am not a pve guy. And you have to admit GW2 has been very successful despite you not liking it. I have had free access to the 24/7 beta in ESO and have zero desire to play it. It was a chore to try to grind it out past level 10 even, it just was not fun to play. The only reason I would play this game is the pvp, but it is not worth a sub.

hmmm.....good to know.

We will avoid GW2 talk...it never goes well.

Your opinion of ESO is disappointing because I know you were looking forward to it.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 vfibsux

@BSC14 said:

@vfibsux said:

@BSC14 said:

hmmm.....good to know.

We will avoid GW2 talk...it never goes well.

Your opinion of ESO is disappointing because I know you were looking forward to it.

Well since our tastes obviously differ who knows, you may like ESO.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
@SEANMCAD said:

It has about as much chance of being a major player long term as my grandmother has being a successful pole dancer

Depends what you mean by "major player".

It probably will go F2P but that doesn't mean it won't have thousands of players playing.

No MMO is going to maintain 10 millions subscribers now, those days are gone.

But games like SWTOR, Rift, GW2 and ESO still will have a steady amount of people playing. They are ALL making money or else they would have closed shop by now.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Maroxad

I looked at the Dragon Knight skills. And it seems like tanking is at least moderately fun in this game, plenty of skills that aid with controlling foes, synergize with other skills and help me survive.

I wonder how viable tanking is in PvP. And by tanking I mean creating a character with strong defenses and a lot of CC.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Was not impressed with the beta to be honest... I do think it will do alright, but within a year or two I could see it goin free to play. I mean how many people are really goin to pay a monthly fee for long term these days? If I ever got this game it would be just to play with a friend for a few months. Gotta say though, not very impressed, but then again Bethesda isn't what they use to be, atleast for me.

donmuath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 donmuath
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

It's going to be one giant, very expensive, flop.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

The popularity of the Elder Scrolls name will carry this MMO as far as it can go until it becomes Free-to-play.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Maroxad

@kozzy1234: It isnt bethesda who made this game though.

Which may help explain why the game has absolutely no respect towards the existing TES lore. This game has as much to do with TES as TaleWorlds has to do with With Fire and Sword.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Movement looks bad, graphics aren't that special(their budget is huge)

World looks boring, quests look bad, and p2p

no thanks... but I am obv just judging from gameplay videos

It'll do fine because of the name though.

For once i agree with you.