Earth Defense Force

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

If you haven't bought this game yet you're missing out on some of the best co-op fun. Buy it at the launch sale price ($35) before it goes up to $50. You can always get a refund if you don't like it, which I highly doubt. If anyone wants to co-op then add me on Steam. (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Saint_Satan/)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410320/

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

This game is the most fun I've had on PC all year. And I've only been split-screening. If I could get some buddies to buy it and coop online I'd be one happy camper.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17795 Posts

Game looks like shit. I remember trying a demo for an older version of the game on console before. I deleted it after 10 min. LOL

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

idk...is there anything other than ants? like spiders or snakes?

they look disgusting :P

umm...looks cool aside from that...idk...seems like something id get bored of in 10minutes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

16 pieces of day 1 DLC for a 9 month old game.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KHAndAnime

@KBFloYd said:

umm...looks cool aside from that...idk...seems like something id get bored of in 10minutes.

If you don't like blowing things up with big guns and fighting cool giant aliens in the forms of robots and ants with friends while obtaining some of the coolest weapons put in a videogame - then yea, the game isn't for you.

It's basically the experience I wanted from a game like Borderlands. While that game is the epitome of bland and boring with its slow-paced grinding and boring quests - this game is almost like crack to me. It's hard to put it down. Not a dull moment.

I almost pulled the trigger on DOOM instead of this. Glad I didn't make that mistake!

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Pretty sure my wife got me this for the ps4 for my bday!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@KBFloYd said:

If you don't like blowing things up with big guns and fighting cool giant aliens in the forms of robots and ants with friends while obtaining some of the coolest weapons put in a videogame - then yea, the game isn't for you.

It's basically the experience I wanted from a game like Borderlands. While that game is the epitome of bland and boring with its slow-paced grinding and boring quests - this game is almost like crack to me. It's hard to put it down. Not a dull moment.

I almost pulled the trigger on DOOM instead of this. Glad I didn't make that mistake!

Borderlands had boring quests?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:

Borderlands had boring quests?

Most people find endless fetch quests and "travel here, kill x" quests boring these days. Who knew?

That whole game was pretty boring aside from the occasional moment you get a cool new weapon. This whole game is basically just the part where you get cool new weapons. Much better gunplay in this as well.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

That whole game was pretty boring aside from the occasional moment you get a cool new weapon. This whole game is basically just the part where you get cool new weapons. Much better gunplay in this as well.

Are we talking about part 1 or 2?

I thought Borderlands 2 had heaps of quirky and funny quests. (never played 1)

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:

To each his own but I say both. The humor in those games I find worse than Adam Sandler. I consider it non-medy. But it certainly has a target audience, I won't deny that.

I've laughed a lot more playing EDF, but I'm the weird guy who likes to laugh at B-movies. The game is basically an alien-invasion B movie in videogame form.

The series aren't even similar at all. They just share the central gameplay element of collecting and using cool new weapons and they're both shooters. While not exclusively the case, I think many people are drawn to those games because they like the idea of collecting weapons and using them (like I was).

And if that gameplay element sounds appealing, then this game IMO does it the best way.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaintSatan

@KBFloYd said:

There's also robots and dragons and aliens and drop ships and mechs and 4 playable classes with 800+ different weapons.

@uninspiredcup said:

16 pieces of day 1 DLC for a 9 month old game.

Welcome to the year 2005.

@BassMan said:

Game looks like shit. I remember trying a demo for an older version of the game on console before. I deleted it after 10 min. LOL

You didn't play nearly long enough. Every single mission is better and crazier than the last.

This game is hilariously awesome. The amount of shit they throw at you at once and all the explosions and buildings falling down would make Micheal Bay jealous. The game is like 24/7 chaos and doesn't give you a second to breath ever. It's just absolutely relentless and awesome. Just when you think you've seen it all it does some crazy new stuff. I wish they were more games like this that are just focused on fun and nothing else.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

@saintsatan said:

That's great - just buy something else.

*shrug*

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SaintSatan

@uninspiredcup said:
@saintsatan said:

That's great - just buy something else.

*shrug*

No thanks to that, waiting for a sale of $10 or less. My friend got a review copy weeks ago and said it was really, really short and average at best. Really too bad, I was looking forward to that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#15 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Looks like a stupid, fun ass game. Right down my alley

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

at least it's an ok port form what i hear

no locked fps or resolution bs but no graphical options

i'll pick it up when it's around $10

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SaintSatan

@hillelslovak said:

Looks like a stupid, fun ass game. Right down my alley

That's exactly what it is. You should try it out.

@ShepardCommandr said:

at least it's an ok port form what i hear

no locked fps or resolution bs but no graphical options

i'll pick it up when it's around $10

It's a good port. It does have a couple graphics options like AA and AF. I wouldn't wait too long to get it. Better to play while it's really active and so you don't fall behind too far in levels.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

At the end of the day it's more EDF. The core gameplay hasn't changes much since the old PS2 days and I don't think that many people outside of Japan had even heard of it before the 360 EDF, which was the third one if I remember. They are good mindless fun.

-Byshop

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KHAndAnime

@Byshop said:

At the end of the day it's more EDF. The core gameplay hasn't changes much since the old PS2 days and I don't think that many people outside of Japan had even heard of it before the 360 EDF, which was the third one if I remember. They are good mindless fun.

-Byshop

I'm extremely surprised how much content there is in this. 4 different classes, each with their own weapon pools - is pretty crazy to me. It's hard to wrap my mind around how many hours I can get out of this just trying new things.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

I'm extremely surprised how much content there is in this. 4 different classes, each with their own weapon pools - is pretty crazy to me. It's hard to wrap my mind around how many hours I can get out of this just trying new things.

I never played any of the versions prior to the 360 version but it was like that as well. Tons of drops to collect and crazy weapon loadout options.

-Byshop

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I might grab it on sale, 35$ is a bit too much for a game like this, it looks like a PS2 port.

Nothing against bad graphics - hey I'm replaying Diablo 2 againt but then again it's a game from 2000.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KHAndAnime

@PredatorRules said:

I might grab it on sale, 35$ is a bit too much for a game like this, it looks like a PS2 port.

Nothing against bad graphics - hey I'm replaying Diablo 2 againt but then again it's a game from 2000.

It's definitely not the prettiest game but it's really not the worst either. With a hundred enemies on-screen and cities being leveled right in front of you (complete with ragdoll physics), it can actually be quite the spectacle sometimes. And to be honest, the shading and texture-work far exceeds what you'd find on an Xbox 360 game given this game's scale (I'd know because I played this on the 360 and this looks much better).

I can't put this game down. The chaotic action reminds me of Serious Sam, but much more arcadey and hectic.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@KHAndAnime said:

THat's the only thing any of the Borderlands games had going for them, imo. Humor was pretty good, but I've been unable to finish any single Borderlands game because of the terrible, terrible boring gameplay.

And call me petty, but the Japanese roots/inspiration for this game is just a total turn off for me. Looks a little fun, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#24  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@KHAndAnime said:

THat's the only thing any of the Borderlands games had going for them, imo. Humor was pretty good, but I've been unable to finish any single Borderlands game because of the terrible, terrible boring gameplay.

And call me petty, but the Japanese roots/inspiration for this game is just a total turn off for me. Looks a little fun, though.

I beat the second borderlands with a friend on 360, it was more about playing with my friend than the game itself. It was so boring. Just a grind fest. the guns were cool, but a new gun every 10 mins is not well rounded gameplay.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside

@hillelslovak said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I beat the second borderlands with a friend on 360, it was more about playing with my friend than the game itself. It was so boring. Just a grind fest. the guns were cool, but a new gun every 10 mins is not well rounded gameplay.

Don't know what Borderlands 2 you guys played but the gunplay was spot-on.

Only negative for me the game is too long (gets too grindy)

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KHAndAnime

@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm usually not a big fan of Japanese games (many of their developers value substance as much as style, or even more than), but in this game's context it reminds me of something like Godzilla and comes across as charming rather than annoying like it usually is for me.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

How's the performance? I've played the EDF on Xbox 360 ages ago, had a lot of fun, but the performance tanked a lot. Seeing EDF on the PC is exactly what the game needs, but I'm weary of Japanese ports...

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KHAndAnime

@ssvegeta555 said:

How's the performance? I've played the EDF on Xbox 360 ages ago, had a lot of fun, but the performance tanked a lot. Seeing EDF on the PC is exactly what the game needs, but I'm weary of Japanese ports...

Runs great compared to the 360 version. I've been playing on my HTPC which is an i5 6600k, gtx 960 4gb vram, and 16 gb ram. Consistently 60 FPS with the occasional dip, but never runs poorly.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@ssvegeta555 said:

Runs great compared to the 360 version. I've been playing on my HTPC which is an i5 6600k, gtx 960 4gb vram, and 16 gb ram. Consistently 60 FPS with the occasional dip, but never runs poorly.

That is good to hear. I might pick this up on my next paycheck. :D