EA gonna EA. SimCity to have cash shop.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26256 posts) -

from GAF via the leaked manual.

Oh, but some of the add-on content is free! As long as it isn't abused to take vital/core features out of the game, then I don't see a problem. My hype still remains.

#2 Posted by -Unreal- (24557 posts) -

Can't wait for the medium city tile size DLC.

and the large city tile size DLC.

and the extra disasters DLC.

and the European landmarks DLC.

#3 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
This again...people, seriously, get a clue, in general, not those that already posted, SIMS HAS SUCH THINGS (it always had, for years), what sane and logical human being would not expect this for Sim City? This is like some random person would get a revelation today "...wait a minute, THEY DROPPED A NUCLEAR BOMB AT HIROSHIMA? AMAWGAWD".
#4 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Wasn't Sims always about DLCs and expansions? :?

#5 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

seanmcloughlin
Not only that, it also has a market, you can buy a chair, or something, 1 single item, for money,a DLC would be like a full expansion compared to such things and Sim City will also be full of such things.
#6 Posted by mhofever (3960 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

DanielDust

Not only that, it also has a market, you can buy a chair, or something, 1 single item, for money,a DLC would be like a full expansion compared to such things and Sim City will also be full of such things.

Yea but people can choose not to pay for those DLC's and just download mods (for the Sims I mean).

#7 Posted by commander1122 (1154 posts) -

24896748.jpg

not only EA....:D

#8 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

DanielDust

Yeah so what's the big deal. It makes sense in the sims, it's a life simulator :P

#9 Posted by mhofever (3960 posts) -

24896748.jpg

not only EA....:D

commander1122

Well it would depend on the games. Take Borderlands 2 for example, by itself it's packed with tons of craploads of stuff and the DLC is an option for those who want even more out of it. 

#10 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

mhofever

Yea but people can choose not to pay for those DLC's and just download mods (for the Sims I mean).

Yep, but NOBODY whined about Sims, at all, maybe because it has too many expansions, but not about its market, now with this and alternative skins that most games with DLC had for years that DS 3 comes with and it's internet drama.

#11 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4102 posts) -

The only reason I'm planning to get this game is out of loyalty for the Sim City franchise. Which also includes avoiding the modern trends of releasing DLC...

I accept the existence of expansion packs but if they reduce those to the status of downloads, I won't bother with them.

#12 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26256 posts) -

Intentionally made the thread title bait. Was hoping someone was gonna bite, but forgot the bad posters are only awake during the day. :P

#13 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

Meh, i'm glad i took advatage of regional prices when i was over in India. Got the digital dexlue for 30 dollars

#14 Posted by Sleepyz (3788 posts) -

People buy whatever they throw at them so as long has people keep gobbling up all those Dlcs they'll keep pumping them out. And now micro transactions.

It is a company out to make money, i'd do the same thing.

#15 Posted by JohnF111 (14122 posts) -

I can't wait for the "Single Player" DLC to come out.

#16 Posted by JohnF111 (14122 posts) -

People buy whatever they throw at them so as long has people keep gobbling up all those Dlcs they'll keep pumping them out. And now micro transactions.

It is a company out to make money, i'd do the same thing.

Sleepyz
Exactly, look at the Sims 3, the only reason they haven't made a Sims 4 is because the DLC is a goldmine and people keep buying it.
#17 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -
i don't get people's complaints against cash shops, unless some pretty major stuff was actually cut from the game to be sold separately.
#18 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

i don't get people's complaints against cash shops, unless some pretty major stuff was actually cut from the game to be sold separately.BrunoBRS

People hate the idea of 60 dollar games being a platform for dlc. Tropcio 4 did this and while 5 dollars i thought was to much they did 75 percent discounts every few months 

#19 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i don't get people's complaints against cash shops, unless some pretty major stuff was actually cut from the game to be sold separately.James161324

People hate the idea of 60 dollar games being a platform for dlc. Tropcio 4 did this and while 5 dollars i thought was to much they did 75 percent discounts every few months 

but it's not "real DLC". it's just a bunch of optional crap you can buy. it's no different than a fighting game selling character costumes.
#20 Posted by wis3boi (32006 posts) -

cash shops is the least of simcity's issues

#21 Posted by Wasdie (50640 posts) -

I can't see how this would benifit the game at all. I can just see them using it to distribute tons of useless skins for buildings and stuff.

EA just doesn't get it. They are doing everything they can to hold this game back.

#22 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -

I can't see how this would benifit the game at all. I can just see them using it to distribute tons of useless skins for buildings and stuff.

EA just doesn't get it. They are doing everything they can to hold this game back.

Wasdie
how is having optional, non-intrusive DLC skins on sale "holding the game back"?
#23 Posted by Wasdie (50640 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

BrunoBRS

how is having optional, non-intrusive DLC skins on sale "holding the game back"?

There is no indication that's the only they'll have there. It also strains Maxis to develop these kind of things. If the artists and developers at Maxis have to split their time between developing DLC and developing the game (EA is terrible about having day 1 DLC), then this is just time spent away from developing the game which hurts it.

Optional DLC still requires developers, money, and time away from the main game. 

#24 Posted by QuebecNationale (146 posts) -

I'll be frank, I don't really care for Sim City and their cash shop mainly because I refuse to buy any EA game ever again. It's the same deal with Capcom, Ubisoft and Activision. While they might release a game that's good by all definitions(Far Cry 3 for example), I'm not supporting them by giving them money.

In this case, Sim City might be a good game(I haven't researched the game enough to make an informed decision) but I'm not going to buy it since EA is publishing and I'm not giving them a a single pound of my money.

#25 Posted by Barujin (308 posts) -

This again...people, seriously, get a clue, in general, not those that already posted, SIMS HAS SUCH THINGS (it always had, for years), what sane and logical human being would not expect this for Sim City? This is like some random person would get a revelation today "...wait a minute, THEY DROPPED A NUCLEAR BOMB AT HIROSHIMA? AMAWGAWD".DanielDust

This is the first time that Sim City has had a cash shop. There were expansions before, but they were always for major content that was very different: like driving on the roads and such. A cash shop is very different because Sim City has always had everything included into one game without the need for additional content. It's not like The Sims where new clothing, furnature, and decorations were constantly being created. A cash shop for Sim City is simply unnecessary. Of course, EA doesn't surprise me with any of their crap. I'm just a bit shocked to see them do this with a game that defies the concept of a cash shop. In fact, the special edition of Sim City 2000 had a building creator that let users make their own sprites of buildings so that they could create a truely custom cityscape.

#26 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]This again...people, seriously, get a clue, in general, not those that already posted, SIMS HAS SUCH THINGS (it always had, for years), what sane and logical human being would not expect this for Sim City? This is like some random person would get a revelation today "...wait a minute, THEY DROPPED A NUCLEAR BOMB AT HIROSHIMA? AMAWGAWD".Barujin

This is the first time that Sim City has had a cash shop. There were expansions before, but they were always for major content that was very different: like driving on the roads and such. A cash shop is very different because Sim City has always had everything included into one game without the need for additional content. It's not like The Sims where new clothing, furnature, and decorations were constantly being created. A cash shop for Sim City is simply unnecessary. Of course, EA doesn't surprise me with any of their crap. I'm just a bit shocked to see them do this with a game that defies the concept of a cash shop. In fact, the special edition of Sim City 2000 had a building creator that let users make their own sprites of buildings so that they could create a truely custom cityscape.

This is the first time they actually made a Sim City since 4, DLCs were not a thing at that time, not even extra content, only hefty expansions.

Reality, we must stick to it. Of course people would like to have 1 million items in game (since I'm sure you'll have at least several tens of thousands of items with time, just like Sims 3 has in its market, independent from the game, content packs and expansions), but even 300K that you normally get is more than anything out there. I know people love to whine about this stuff, but you will see that this games will have more things offered than any of the previous games and that will not be enough for anyone even if they'll never use everything, just because they know there are a lot more items available for purchase.

#27 Posted by Barujin (308 posts) -

[QUOTE="Barujin"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]This again...people, seriously, get a clue, in general, not those that already posted, SIMS HAS SUCH THINGS (it always had, for years), what sane and logical human being would not expect this for Sim City? This is like some random person would get a revelation today "...wait a minute, THEY DROPPED A NUCLEAR BOMB AT HIROSHIMA? AMAWGAWD".DanielDust

This is the first time they actually made a Sim City since 4, DLCs were not a thing at that time, not even extra content, only hefty expansions.

Reality, we must stick to it. Of course people would like to have 1 million items in game (since I'm sure you'll have at least several tens of thousands of items with time, just like Sims 3 has in its market, independent from the game, content packs and expansions), but even 300K that you normally get is more than anything out there. I know people love to whine about this stuff, but you will see that this games will have more things offered than any of the previous games and that will not be enough for anyone even if they'll never use everything, just because they know there are a lot more items available for purchase.

What will they sell, landmarks? Pfff, it's Sim City, for crying out loud.

#28 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

Various building skins, area themes, building variations, more types of vegetation, maybe various trademarked vehicles, fences, types of roads, billboards, special paint for buildings, etc, it's a friggin city builder, what wouldn't they be able to sell? it's no different from Sims.

#29 Posted by Sleepyz (3788 posts) -

I'll be frank, I don't really care for Sim City and their cash shop mainly because I refuse to buy any EA game ever again. It's the same deal with Capcom, Ubisoft and Activision. While they might release a game that's good by all definitions(Far Cry 3 for example), I'm not supporting them by giving them money.

In this case, Sim City might be a good game(I haven't researched the game enough to make an informed decision) but I'm not going to buy it since EA is publishing and I'm not giving them a a single pound of my money.

QuebecNationale
Well doesn't much matter if you don't buy they have so many sales from day 1 people. My Advise is just wait till whatever EA game comes down super cheap then buy it that way you get the last laugh. Next year Simcity will probably sell for 15 in special. This is what i do for dlcs i wait for super special so i don't feel cheated. For Tropico 4 i bought all dlcs for 80% off.
#30 Posted by Barujin (308 posts) -

Various building skins, area themes, building variations, more types of vegetation, maybe various trademarked vehicles, fences, types of roads, billboards, special paint for buildings, etc, it's a friggin city builder, what wouldn't they be able to sell? it's no different from Sims.

DanielDust

I see your point, but it's not like anyone will care. "Oh, I've gotta have a few Mustangs and Chargers driving through my streets." I can understand The Sims having tons of new stuff because people get invested into the homes and lives of their characters. It becomes personal after a while. Add ons for Sim City just seem trivial, though. It's kinda a low blow on the cheapness of EA.

#31 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
That's why Sims' market is also not extremely popular, because people don't really care, the base game + expansions that a lot of them buy, have more than enough content already, but landmarks, people will care about that, unless they want to keep various landmarks for expansions only.
#32 Posted by Barujin (308 posts) -

That's why Sims' market is also not extremely popular, because people don't really care, the base game + expansions that a lot of them buy, have more than enough content already, but landmarks, people will care about that, unless they want to keep various landmarks for expansions only.DanielDust

Where are you getting your info? From what I've seen, the Sims 3 expansion packs get lame reviews while people chat about the store on their forums frequently. People like the Sims 3 store because they aren't forced to buy a bad expansion to get the few items they want.

#33 Posted by guynamedbilly (12967 posts) -
Not unexpected. Look at The Sims. Not gonna buy it either.
#34 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]That's why Sims' market is also not extremely popular, because people don't really care, the base game + expansions that a lot of them buy, have more than enough content already, but landmarks, people will care about that, unless they want to keep various landmarks for expansions only.Barujin

Where are you getting your info? From what I've seen, the Sims 3 expansion packs get lame reviews while people chat about the store on their forums frequently. People like the Sims 3 store because they aren't forced to buy a bad expansion to get the few items they want.

Sims expansions sell like crazy, I said the market is not extremely popular, not that it isn't used by anyone and by not extremely popular I'm saying it doesn't sell millions of items. What people do really chat about from what I noticed is "avoid the store, get some of them mods" unless there's a good bundle.
#35 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -

people seem to forget that the sim games live on a sh!tload of expansions:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff51/brunobrs/Imagem417.jpg

#36 Posted by Barujin (308 posts) -

[QUOTE="Barujin"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]That's why Sims' market is also not extremely popular, because people don't really care, the base game + expansions that a lot of them buy, have more than enough content already, but landmarks, people will care about that, unless they want to keep various landmarks for expansions only.DanielDust

Sims expansions sell like crazy, I said the market is not extremely popular, not that it isn't used by anyone and by not extremely popular I'm saying it doesn't sell millions of items. What people do really chat about from what I noticed is "avoid the store, get some of them mods" unless there's a good bundle.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/forums/show/13.page

I see positive feedback from happy people and even thanks. Meanwhile, the expansions for Sims 3 are reviewed as buggy and not worth buying. Anyway, this debate is going nowhere. I'm done.

#37 Posted by wis3boi (32006 posts) -

BrunoBRS

They were nice enough to not make it online only.  It also has no real DRM and has full mod support.

#38 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

wis3boi

They were nice enough to not make it online only.  It also has no real DRM and has full mod support.

that's an entirely different discussion altogether.
#39 Posted by harry_james_pot (11185 posts) -
Well, that was expected. What's really killing this game though is the lack of offline singleplayer.
#40 Posted by wis3boi (32006 posts) -

Well, that was expected. What's really killing this game though is the lack of offline singleplayer.harry_james_pot

And other things like a really tiny map size, removal of subways and such, no more laying pipes or electricity.

#41 Posted by harry_james_pot (11185 posts) -

[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]Well, that was expected. What's really killing this game though is the lack of offline singleplayer.wis3boi

And other things like a really tiny map size, removal of subways and such, no more laying pipes or electricity.

Seriously? :o I didn't know it could get even more disappointing.. :|
#42 Posted by bonafidetk (3854 posts) -
everyone saw this a mile off. All I can pray for is that its not too much nickle and diming for individual items. Hopefully they stick to only charging for substantial content.
#43 Posted by JohnF111 (14122 posts) -

[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]Well, that was expected. What's really killing this game though is the lack of offline singleplayer.wis3boi

Yeah I thought the maps were pretty small as well. maybe they want us to buy "Map Space" like Farmville... Greedy b*****ds!! I wonder if they'll actually do that.. Oh god please don't tell me I gave them the idea!! :shock:
#44 Posted by wis3boi (32006 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]Well, that was expected. What's really killing this game though is the lack of offline singleplayer.JohnF111

Yeah I thought the maps were pretty small as well. maybe they want us to buy "Map Space" like Farmville... Greedy b*****ds!! I wonder if they'll actually do that.. Oh god please don't tell me I gave them the idea!! :shock:

The EA spies are watching

#45 Posted by BrunoBRS (73266 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

The EA spies are watching

you would know that ¬¬
#46 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26256 posts) -

wis3boi

They're aren't ruling out mod support for SimCity.

#47 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

So what?

#48 Posted by wis3boi (32006 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

ChubbyGuy40

They're aren't ruling out mod support for SimCity.

They said the same thing about BF3, but I fail to see how mods would work in a server based simcity that's always online

#49 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

[QUOTE="James161324"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i don't get people's complaints against cash shops, unless some pretty major stuff was actually cut from the game to be sold separately.BrunoBRS

but it's not "real DLC". it's just a bunch of optional crap you can buy. it's no different than a fighting game selling character costumes.

But does it really matter, if they want to sell paint jobs for buidlings or what ever, let them.

#50 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
dont see how its a big deal for this game, unless we later find out half the game has been put up there instead of being included with release like other fabulous ea titles.