This topic is locked from further discussion.

ddmana2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ddmana2003
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts
Is there a difference at a resolution of 1680 x 1050? I am asking because my monitor has both inputs, but I attach my xbox and computer to it. My xbox can only use DVI, but my PC can use either. Will I notice a difference if I use VGA for my computer rather than DVI?
Hiryuu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hiryuu_
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

DVI is better, the computer needs digital more than your 360.

The VGA connection for the 360 is perfectly fine, still looks great.

Sprozelth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sprozelth
Member since 2006 • 744 Posts

DVI is better, the computer needs digital more than your 360.

The VGA connection for the 360 is perfectly fine, still looks great.

Hiryuu_
Is there any comparison screenshot?
GTZ2k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 GTZ2k3
Member since 2003 • 472 Posts
Trust me, DVI if your monitor can support it. It's so much cleaner and vibrant since the signal isn't downgraded to analog. I also thought I noticed slightly better framerates when I made the switch, since the signal wasn't being downconverted, but I could just be insane.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#5 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I think you have it backwards. Other than HDMI, the Xbox 360 is likely only using VGA unless you were using an HDMI-to-DVI converter. That said, I would suggest using the DVI connection for your computer, and VGA for the 360, unless you felt like getting a KVM with DVI in/outs so that you could switch between the two.
ddmana2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ddmana2003
I have an Xbox 1, not a 360. It can only connect to my monitor by DVI-> Component adapter.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 codezer0
I have an Xbox 1, not a 360. It can only connect to my monitor by DVI-> Component adapter.ddmana2003
:? I thought there were only Component to VGA adapters (since Component is an analog signal, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to go from component to VGA).
ddmana2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ddmana2003
Does monoprice.com have a KVM switch with DVI-I inputs?
cricketboy2238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 cricketboy2238
Member since 2004 • 5717 Posts

I'm quite certain that an Xbox cannot output a digital video signal, ruling out DVI output. Are you sure that you aren't confusing it with VGA (which itself would require a convertor or some kind of elaborate hack job on the output interface) or Component? Without some kind of active convertor device, which I've never seen, there's no way an Xbox is natively outputting a digital video signal.

The quality difference between DVI and VGA in theory doesn't exist. LCD monitors are digital and computers are digital. VGA is an analog interface, but is highly prevalent due to its use on CRT monitors, which are analog displays. The whole point of DVI is to create a digital link between the monitor and computer, else the signal would first be converted to analog by the video adapter and then just converted back into a digital signal on the monitor end. Technically if we had a 100% accurate Digital to Analog converter, there would be no quality difference. Of course, that is not the case.

Empirically, I have never seen a picture that was flat out unusable due to using VGA. On high quality video cards and high quality monitors, you'd be pretty hard pressed to tell a difference between the two interfaces. Technically the difference is there, however unnoticeable or flat out invisble to the human eye. You would not be at an inconvenience using VGA if you had too. Of course, I'm not entirely convinced that you have to. Your Xbox should not be able to output DVI.

ddmana2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ddmana2003

DVI-I has analog and digital pins. No converter required. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi#Connector

A lot of monitors are DVI-D though, so you can't connect analog things without expensive converters. I have a DVI-I monitor though which came with an adapter for DVI->component (not a converter, but adapter which changes form of pin like an RCA to 3.5 mm adapter).

Oh and BTW, I'm already using my xbox on my monitor.

cricketboy2238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cricketboy2238

DVI-I has analog and digital pins. No converter required. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi#Connector

A lot of monitors are DVI-D though, so you can't connect analog things without expensive converters. I have a DVI-I monitor though which came with an adapter for DVI->component (not a converter, but adapter which changes form of pin like an RCA to 3.5 mm adapter).

Oh and BTW, I'm already using my xbox on my monitor.

ddmana2003

I know DVI-I has analog pins, but that's absolutely useless since it's just a VGA signal. The whole purpose of that is that video cards with two DVI ports can be converted to analog VGA signals. There's absolutely no sense in converting to DVI if you're starting with an analog signal, since it's exactly the same signal. Most monitors have both DVI and VGA connectors so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to waste your DVI input on an analog signal.

ddmana2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ddmana2003
Please read the topic. My xbox uses a component cablea attached to the DVI port on my monitor. My PC can use either the DVI or the VGA port on my monitor. My dilemma is that I either use the DVI port for my PC but have to fumble with wires everytime I want to switch, or use VGA for my PC and the DVI prot for my xbox but have tod eal with analog PC signal.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 codezer0
You would be better served giving the DVI to your computer, and the VGA to your Xbox.
SSJBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 SSJBen
Member since 2003 • 7071 Posts

Please read the topic. My xbox uses a component cablea attached to the DVI port on my monitor. My PC can use either the DVI or the VGA port on my monitor. My dilemma is that I either use the DVI port for my PC but have to fumble with wires everytime I want to switch, or use VGA for my PC and the DVI prot for my xbox but have tod eal with analog PC signal.ddmana2003

Thats not a dillemma really. Whats wrong with fumbling wires everytime you switch? If you are so inclined on that, get a VGA box then.

ddmana2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ddmana2003

You would be better served giving the DVI to your computer, and the VGA to your Xbox.codezer0

Ugh, do I have to explain it again? My xbox (not an xbox 360) can only connect to the DVI port via component adapter.

A VGA box is expensive and degrades quality.

FUmbling wires are a nuisance if I want to play xlink kai. That requries you to access from the xbox and the PC.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 codezer0

[QUOTE="codezer0"]You would be better served giving the DVI to your computer, and the VGA to your Xbox.ddmana2003

Ugh, do I have to explain it again? My xbox (not an xbox 360) can only connect to the DVI port via component adapter.

A VGA box is expensive and degrades quality.

FUmbling wires are a nuisance if I want to play xlink kai. That requries you to access from the xbox and the PC.

Why not get a 360? Seriously, what part of this are you not understanding? The Xbox 1 is not capable of providing a digital video signal. And quite honestly, I've never heard of a Component to DVI converter. Component to VGA, yes. Component to DVI, never. And while lik-sang was still operational, they had a Component to VGA adapter that was about $50, and it natively supported 480p/720p, and IIRC 1080p - way ahead of its time. At least Microsoft did make a first-party cable for outputting straight to VGA. Or if you get one of the new HDMI-enabled 360's, you can then use an HDMI-to-DVI adapter and continue as you were.
ddmana2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ddmana2003

What part of "I'm already using my xbox 1 on my monitor and it wroks just fine" do you not understand? I don't want to buy a 360.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254020

That is my monitor that I am currently using. As you can see it has a DVI->component adapter. DVI is a misnomer. While DVI-D only has digital pins, DVI-I devices like my monitor have both analog and digital pins. The xbox is connecting the monitor via the analog pins.

Now stop saying that's not possible, because I am clearly doing it right now.

SSJBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 SSJBen
Member since 2003 • 7071 Posts

VGA box degrades quality? =.=

O....kay. One of the easier solution then is get a cheap TV tuner. Connect your Xbox to it and play it on you monitor through Windows. Problem solved.

cricketboy2238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cricketboy2238

What part of "I'm already using my xbox 1 on my monitor and it wroks just fine" do you not understand? I don't want to buy a 360.

That is my monitor that I am currently using. As you can see it has a DVI->component adapter. DVI is a misnomer. While DVI-D only has digital pins, DVI-I devices like my monitor have both analog and digital pins. The xbox is connecting the monitor via the analog pins.

ddmana2003

It's possible, but what I'm trying to say is that it's really stupid. You're essentially connecting your Xbox to your monitor using VGA, except in the form of the analog pins on the DVI-D port. You're completely wasting your DVI port when you could have just gotten a Component to VGA convertor for your Xbox and used the DVI input for your computer.

You don't need a VGA "box" or whatever you're talking about. You need a similar convertor to the Component to DVI-D (which I've never heard of and I'm not sure I've seen monitors with the totally useless analog pins on the DVI port anyway) except it needs to convert to VGA, not DVI-D.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 codezer0

It's possible, but what I'm trying to say is that it's really stupid. You're essentially connecting your Xbox to your monitor using VGA, except in the form of the analog pins on the DVI-D port. You're completely wasting your DVI port when you could have just gotten a Component to VGA convertor for your Xbox and used the DVI input for your computer.

You don't need a VGA "box" or whatever you're talking about. You need a similar convertor to the Component to DVI-D (which I've never heard of and I'm not sure I've seen monitors with the totally useless analog pins on the DVI port anyway) except it needs to convert to VGA, not DVI-D.

cricketboy2238
Or use a DVI to VGA adapter with that one cable if possible... problem solved. :)
cricketboy2238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cricketboy2238
[QUOTE="ddmana2003"]

cricketboy2238

I looked at the New Egg product page and I think I see what you're doing. That convertor that comes with it works, but I think you should ditch it, buy a Component to VGA convertor (not expensive) and use the VGA for your Xbox and the DVI for your computer. If you don't want to spend any money you'll have to live with using VGA for your computer or switching it by hand.

ENAJonas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ENAJonas
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Sorry to sort of change the topic, but I have been trying to output my Gamecube to my LCD monitor. I've read up a bit but am still a bit confused. I'm pretty sure that the Gamecube can output digital video (I have the older model that has the Digital AV out port.) It will be hard in itself, but I can probably find the offical Gamecubedigital cable, which outputs to Component. So what remains is going from Component to DVI-D on my monitor. Now the main reason I'm confused, I though Component was analog! So why would they make a digital port that outputs to an analog format?? But I guess I'm missing something. The bottom line is I want to keep the signal digital the whole way to avoid degredation (in other words I don't want to output to VGA). How can I hook it up to my DVI-D port? Any suggestions are appreciated!!