DRM or DRM Free, Have your say

This topic is locked from further discussion.

stratgamerau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 stratgamerau
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hey Im currently developing a strategy game and I would like your feedback regarding releasing it as DRM or DRM Free? So far the response has been quite evenly split. Im currently considering a DRM free for KS release and then a DRM version to be released on Steam. thoughts, comments suggestions? If you want to see the game project, please go to Kickstarter and search for 'artifact red-x' I wont put the URL as im after feedback on the question looking forward to your response
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

DRM that is fairly non intrusive. Like Steam and Orgin are fine. DRM like always on like Sim city is bad.

Since your indie steam is a great way to get free marketing. 

yonyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yonyz
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts
I never had a problem with DRM. They just ask for a serial key (or not), activate online for once and that's it, unless you reinstall the game.
fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts

DRM that is fairly non intrusive. Like Steam and Orgin are fine. DRM like always on like Sim city is bad.

Since your indie steam is a great way to get free marketing. 

James161324
this i have no problem with drm as long as it does not intrude upon those that actual payed for the game.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
The only time I expect a game to require an always online connection is when I'm playing a part of the game that is online multiplayer. Steam, cd key, one time internet activation - don't have a problem with that.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
As long as it is something like Steam or cd key then it is ok. Of course, I also recommend to get your game on GoG because some people still dislike Steam.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

I have no problem with DRM really. The only DRM I don't like is Windows live. It takes too long to log in.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

I'm sorry, but your game will get cracked to hell and it will have made no difference. Don't do DRM, kids. It's bad for your health.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Hey Im currently developing a strategy game and I would like your feedback regarding releasing it as DRM or DRM Free? So far the response has been quite evenly split. Im currently considering a DRM free for KS release and then a DRM version to be released on Steam. thoughts, comments suggestions? If you want to see the game project, please go to Kickstarter and search for 'artifact red-x' I wont put the URL as im after feedback on the question looking forward to your response stratgamerau

I always prefer DRM free. Every DRM known to man has been cracked eventually. Why spend money on something that will be useless and possibly hinder your paying customers. Steam is a DRM I can stomach but if you sell a DRM free version off GOG or an official website I would rather purchase that.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
DRM free. For fvck sakes, use the resources you would have used on the DRM to make your game WORTH buying. Even people who pirate will pay money for a game that's really worth it.
zhangweizheng3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zhangweizheng3
Member since 2006 • 217 Posts

DRM free of course!!! long live GoG!

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Go DRM free and see about getting your game on GoG.com. If you want  some  kind of DRM, or just better exposure, try to get your game on Steam Greenlight, and if it manages to get on Steam, just let that be your DRM.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
DRM free via GOG, please.
feverberries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 feverberries
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts
DRM free or Steam. or even Origin. other than those, me no likey.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
DRM free preferably but if the DRM used is steam then it doesn´t bother me one bit. The issue is always online(like ubisoft did before,not so much D3) or TAGES for instance,those are a big no for me,among a few other methods.
panndemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 panndemic
Member since 2013 • 39 Posts

I'm sorry, but your game will get cracked to hell and it will have made no difference.

Lost-to-Apathy
With your way of thinking then we shouldn't even lock our doors and windows, thieves will still manage to break in somehow. Many people still want to buy a game even though it can be pirated. I think some form of DRM should be used on any game, it gives the player the feeling that he actually owns it. GOG is an exception though.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]

I'm sorry, but your game will get cracked to hell and it will have made no difference.

panndemic

With your way of thinking then we shouldn't even lock our doors and windows, thieves will still manage to break in somehow. Many people still want to buy a game even though it can be pirated. I think some form of DRM should be used on any game, it gives the player the feeling that he actually owns it. GOG is an exception though.

So making it inconvenient for the consumer will make them feel like they own it? If you want to buy a game then buy it. No need for DRM.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I don't buy digital content with DRM under any circumstances.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]

panndemic

Fvck that. I own it, so it has to be harder for me to play it? No. I can't support companies who compromise paying customers' ability to play the game because of piracy.
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]

panndemic

Dumb example. For one, my house isn't a video game. It's not like I'm selling my house to people and saying hey you can use it, but you need to authenticate your permit first to enter. Point is, your comparison is idiotic. And there's also a reasonable way to "lock" your video games. It's called an offline serial check (this is what Amnesia and Penumbra use if you buy it from Frictiona's website), and it won't screw over legitimate customers, unless they lose their serial. 

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Release your game on The Pirate Bay with a reminder that if they like it they should buy it so you can make more games.