Dragon Age: Origins What class?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Serentor
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

I got two questions, here we go:

1st: I recently had to reset my computer from the start and lost all my save game files, i played a rogue and was pretty good at it too, it was really damn hard at the start though, died like a thousand times before i got to anywhere. But now that my 15+ hour game file is gone, i was wondering what class should i play this time? I was thinking about the mage for dps and stuff, but theres also the tank class. which ones easier to play then the rogue? I dont want to bother with finding the most powerfull class or something, i just want it to be easy smooth and be able to enjoy the story. What do you reccomend to me?

2nd: Vote the Poll for your personal favorite class, i might go with the highest rated one at the end. =) Thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
I personally enjoyed playing Mage the most. It felt like there was less down-time with the mage.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I noticed a big difference between warrior vs mage. I died all the time at the beginning as a warrior, but almost never as a mage. I was using a lot of entropy and a couple spirit spells. It did however seem that the top-tier entropy spells were pretty useless compared to some of the earlier ones. But overall mage is pretty cool.

I plan to re-roll as well, since I don't like the customization of my character that much (I'm weird like that). I was thinking of trying a rogue myself :) It might also be easier to control my own backstabbing rather than micro-managing Leilana and Zevran..

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serentor

I noticed a big difference between warrior vs mage. I died all the time at the beginning as a warrior, but almost never as a mage. I was using a lot of entropy and a couple spirit spells. It did however seem that the top-tier entropy spells were pretty useless compared to some of the earlier ones. But overall mage is pretty cool.

I plan to re-roll as well, since I don't like the customization of my character that much (I'm weird like that). I was thinking of trying a rogue myself :) It might also be easier to control my own backstabbing rather than micro-managing Leilana and Zevran..

MyopicCanadian

The rogue is really fun to play, but the problem i had was that my rogue always ran out of the yellow energy thing so super fast that i mostly only was able to use like 2 or 3 skills then wait till the battle was over and play the other characters, that was a little disapointing, but if that wasnt the case, i probably would roll rogue again, its a fun class.

And about the mage, i was thinking about making one too yea, but arent they like really easy to kill? Like clothies usually are, 2/3 hits and your dead?

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MyopicCanadian

They don't take many hits.. you can use one base magic armour spell that I don't think takes any mana (it's one of your basic abilities) AND there's and earth armour spell which supposedly makes you pretty awesome. And you can specialize as an Arcane Warrior to wear heavy armour using the magic attribute instead of strength (I haven't done that myself.. heard from a friend, though).

I found my survivability to be quite good with horror and paralyze, as well as having Morrigan's horror spell. It effectively disables an enemy for a good amount of time, so if you ever draw aggro.. just cast one of those spells on the enemy attacking you. And sleep is AoE, which can disable a lot of enemies at the same time... but sleep is much more dependant on what type of enemies you're fighting, whereas horror and paralyze work most of the time.

I think I had the same problem as your rogue with my warrior.. run out of endurance or w/e that stat is, so I could hardly use any abilities.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#6 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
I'm a gamer of habits and traditions, and so my flagship character is always a Ranger or something resembling a Ranger, then some sort of a fighter/mage hybrid. In Dragon Age that means Rogue with Ranger specialization as my main character, and Mage with Arcane Warrior specialization on the side when I'm not playing my Rogue. The Mage is probably the best class in the game. For example, when I stopped playing my Arcane Warrior as a warrior with magic and started playing as a mage who can take a beating and finish off enemies with my sword, I found Arcane Warrior to be a very powerful character.
Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Serentor

I think im going for mage. I saw that humans and elves can be mages, so should i go elves? It seems to have the better starting stats and i also already played the human story at the beginning but i think its different if i chose magi instead of noble human thing. Any tips?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#8 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
Yeah, for a mage the elf does seem to have a better starting stats. I like playing as elves anyway, especially in this game. The City Elf origin story was strangely satisfying. Choosing human or elf does not make any difference to the Mage Origin Story, other than some different dialogue choices and NPCs reacting to you a little differently.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Mages have the same origin story whether human or elf. So I'd say go Elf.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Its called a role-playing game, so make decisions for yourself.

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serentor

Its called a role-playing game, so make decisions for yourself.

JangoWuzHere

Or i can take advice, which im doing now, if you dont like it, keep it for yourself.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I like the rogue the best. It was a fun class that can dish out major damage at high lvls.

The mage is too easy. Make your main character a Blood mage/arcane mage and you pretty much roll through everything.

Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
Mages are fun, they are also the strongest DPS class in the game, Arcane Warrior mage owns btw....
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
I played as a warrior and I figured that it was the worst class choice, warriors are terribly boring.
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#15 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Warrior class is my favorite class in any game.
Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serentor

Well, i made my decision of making a mage, and i love it, thanks for all who participated, wish you a great week ^^

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

I like the rogue the best. It was a fun class that can dish out major damage at high lvls.

The mage is too easy. Make your main character a Blood mage/arcane mage and you pretty much roll through everything.

sleepingzzz
Pfft Blood Mage/Healer is better ;p
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MyopicCanadian

Well enjoy the mage... :D I personally enjoyed the corpse explosion skill, forget what it's called.. and sleep + horror is insta-kill on lowlier enemies, massive damage on tougher ones.

I tried to roll enough since I wanted to try out the elf origin stories as well.. but.. I couldn't get one looking right, so I rolled a human rogue instead. Fun class so far... I love all the backstabbing goodness.

MaxGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MaxGamer
Member since 2002 • 16500 Posts

Personally, I'd go with a mage because you're going to get plenty of warriors and rogues in your party throughout the game. You get mages as well, but they're more of the healer and druid types. You'll be able to get some insanely powerful spells early on if you start one from scratch.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
An arcane warrior (mage) is unbeatable.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#21 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
An arcane warrior (mage) is unbeatable.RK-Mara
add a keeper/battlemage spec to that in the expansion and you're even more unbeatable. Mage is the best and most enjoyable class... warrior becomes solid in the expansion if you intend to get that too.
ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I didn't like the mage class really, on the other hand I only played mage for a few hours.

Currently I play warrior as DPS and like it.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Mage is OP. However they have *the worst* origins story.
Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Serentor

[QUOTE="RK-Mara"]An arcane warrior (mage) is unbeatable.illmatic87
add a keeper/battlemage spec to that in the expansion and you're even more unbeatable. Mage is the best and most enjoyable class... warrior becomes solid in the expansion if you intend to get that too.

Oh ok, i was thinking of getting the expansion once im finished with the game for real this time, wont have to reset my comp this time haha, so ill be able to finish it ^^

I wanted to thank everyone who participated =) Been a big help with my decision, i almost went warrior but now went mage and im loving it so much, i havent died yet at places where my rogue died like 50 times lol.

Im so happy right now!! XD

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Still on my first play-through, and as Dalish elf rogue. Stealth backstabbing is absolutely awesome. :)
Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
I enjoyed the two hander dps class the most!
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58527 Posts

Mage is OP. However they have *the worst* origins story.skrat_01

I agree, it is not half as personable as the other five