Dragon Age: Origins!!?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lilass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Lilass
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Hey, i wanted to ask is Dragon Age: Origins worth buying? is it any good? and if so what makes it a good game? and how fun is it in terms of combat and story?, thanks.

hotsoup26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hotsoup26
Member since 2011 • 135 Posts

Hey, i wanted to ask is Dragon Age: Origins worth buying? is it any good? and if so what makes it a good game? and how fun is it in terms of combat and story?, thanks.

Lilass

its great!

its super well written, the characters are awesome, the combat is really fun and tactical, and the game is really challenging. if you dont play many rpgs, you might want to consider playing on the easy difficluty on you first playthrough.

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

Lilass

It's not worth buying, it's not any good., and it's not any fun in terms of combat and story.

Lilass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lilass

[QUOTE="Lilass"]

Animatronic64

It's not worth buying, it's not any good., and it's not any fun in terms of combat and story.

Really?
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Animatronic64
[QUOTE="Animatronic64"]

[QUOTE="Lilass"]

Lilass

Really?

You wanted my opinion. I gave it.
nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts

[QUOTE="Lilass"][QUOTE="Animatronic64"]It's not worth buying, it's not any good., and it's not any fun in terms of combat and story.

Animatronic64

Really?

Yes that's HIS opinion. In my opinion and many other people would agree is that the game is quite simply brilliant, while cliche at times.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts

[QUOTE="Lilass"][QUOTE="Animatronic64"]It's not worth buying, it's not any good., and it's not any fun in terms of combat and story.

Animatronic64

Really?

My opinion is the exact opposite of his.

sg17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sg17
Member since 2003 • 102 Posts

Lilass

Dragon Origins is one of the best RPGs out there; it very much worth buying.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

One of the best games I played. I would suggest you start off as a rogue as I found that class was the most fun to play IMO. The game is long and entertaining. I would get the ultimate edition to get all the extras in one package.

Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts

Yes that's HIS opinion. In my opinion and many other people would agree is that the game is quite simply brilliant, while cliche at times.

nintendog66

I agree wholeheartedly.

I also want to add that it is basically a kind of fantasy Mass Effect. The battle system is good fun, and while it can lack the "dynamic" feel of many of today's RPGs, it certainly hearkens back to the days of RPGs such as Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
If you've played games like Knights Of The Old Republic or the Neverwinter Nights series, you know what to expect. The main story is weak, but some of the side quests are really good. The most fun thing is building up and selecting the powers or your party and then using those in combat. It's a good game, which I have spent 130 hours on according to steam. If you are still on the fence after what everyone's told you here, I recommend you look into Neverwinter Nights 2 and it's expansions instead. There are many more options for the character building and the story of it and the expansions are far more interesting than that of DA:O.
Avatar image for brandoncooper17
brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 brandoncooper17
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Its a must own if your fan of tactical rpg. It has great story as well.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#13 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

It's all right. The combat starts to get boring later in the game, and I didn't like the characters as much as the ones from Mass Effect. The story is all right, not good though. It's worth playing, but I wouldn't have bought it at full price.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#14 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Masterful. Great combat, with well thought out RPG elements and a polished interface. Anyone who says the story is cliche hasn't delved deep enough into the individual stories of the characters. Morrigan will become, I think, a classic female protagonist.
Lilass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lilass
Okay thanks for your input guys, but i want to also ask do i have to play Dragon Age 1 to understand Dragon Age 2?
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Okay thanks for your input guys, but i want to also ask do i have to play Dragon Age 1 to understand Dragon Age 2?Lilass
Doubt it, though it will probably give a better understanding of things.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I really had fun with origins story of each race. Those, to me were the highly entertaining parts.
hurtix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hurtix
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

I think it is worth buying cuz the graphic and story is awesome. It also has replay value

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts

Lilass
i just started playing it i bought it for pc and have been busy with other games so im still around the beginning of the game but what i can say so far is it is a lil tough and its very interesting, graphics are alright but thats not what makes the game stand out, its not the best rpg ive played but its good, if u can get it for cheap i recommend it
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Classes are very badly balanced and in some cases outright broken - which means that you have unfortunately got limited options on how you want to arrange your party to make the combat easy (rogues with dual-wield can outperform nearly all the Warrior classes in terms of pure damage output, and give them enough dexterity and they'll be incredibly hard to kill. Mages with a proper ability can kill ANY other mage as soon as you start a fight). The level design can get frustratingly tedious, repetitive and aesthetically displeasing at times (as in, pretty much all the time), which made second and third replays boring ******. Story-wise, the plot is generic and straightforward (the game basically reveals 95% of the main plot in the first 2 hours), with some of the most uninteresting and banal antagonists I have ever seen in a video game. although the setting has some interesting takes on typical popular Euromedieval fantasy lore. The characters are not as deep or as well-thought out as people say they are, but they're above the standard for video games.

Would I recommend it? If you need to kill time, probably. I got about 60 hours out of it, but the thing about those 60 hours is that they weren't all that fun. I felt like I was going through the game mainly so I could see what was going to happen in the cutscenes. Like most Bioware games, it's very polished and you can feel the budget, but not a particularly noteworthy RPG.

scottahuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 scottahuch
Member since 2003 • 1580 Posts

Dragon Age: Origins is my favourite game released in the past 10 years. I loved every minute.

KleptoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KleptoZ
Member since 2004 • 155 Posts

I enjoyed it for what it was. I like the dialogue very much, if you're a fan of Bioware's dialogue there a whole boatload of it here. Combat is also quite good, but be warned that there's a LOT of it. Too much, in my opinion, so it gets repetitive some 30 hours in.

Still, a worthy purchase to get ready for DA2 which I'm sure will be a better game.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Damn it you guys. Now you make me feel like replaying DAO for the FOURTH time.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

Classes are very badly balanced and in some cases outright broken - which means that you have unfortunately got limited options on how you want to arrange your party to make the combat easy (rogues with dual-wield can outperform nearly all the Warrior classes in terms of pure damage output, and give them enough dexterity and they'll be incredibly hard to kill. Mages with a proper ability can kill ANY other mage as soon as you start a fight). The level design can get frustratingly tedious, repetitive and aesthetically displeasing at times (as in, pretty much all the time), which made second and third replays boring ******. Story-wise, the plot is generic and straightforward (the game basically reveals 95% of the main plot in the first 2 hours), with some of the most uninteresting and banal antagonists I have ever seen in a video game. although the setting has some interesting takes on typical popular Euromedieval fantasy lore. The characters are not as deep or as well-thought out as people say they are, but they're above the standard for video games.

Would I recommend it? If you need to kill time, probably. I got about 60 hours out of it, but the thing about those 60 hours is that they weren't all that fun. I felt like I was going through the game mainly so I could see what was going to happen in the cutscenes. Like most Bioware games, it's very polished and you can feel the budget, but not a particularly noteworthy RPG.

Barbariser

Impressive that you got time to write that instead of praising New Vegas. I would just like to add that it is noteworthy to some extent as the series garnered some attention from the press, unlike New Vegas which would work more like an expansion. I don't consider Awakening as 'noteworthy' as Origins, therefore I don't consider New Vegas as noteworthy as Fallout 3. Just my input.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Impressive that you got time to write that instead of praising New Vegas. I would just like to add that it is noteworthy to some extent as the series garnered some attention from the press, unlike New Vegas which would work more like an expansion. I don't consider Awakening as 'noteworthy' as Origins, therefore I don't consider New Vegas as noteworthy as Fallout 3. Just my input.

SkyWard20

What? I talk about how much I enjoyed a game and how much it stands out in that respect and you come in with business statistics. If you want to criticize me about how I use my time, maybe you should learn how to spend yours making replies with relevant content.

Unless you actually thought I believed Dragon Age had a small market impact or something and that that was what I meant by "noteworthy". In that case, I'd advise that you place a bit more faith in my knowledge of the gaming industry. Because I have never ever denied that Dragon Age was a commercial or critical success according to the numbers, and I wouldn't for a moment state that New Vegas had a better public reception than Fallout 3, which is more than a little different from claiming that it is a better RPG than Fallout 3. But I'd rather save that discussion for a thread which isn't about telling a guy if he should get Dragon Age or not.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

[QUOTE="Lilass"]

Animatronic64

^this

Of course that's just my opinion.

Dataun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dataun
Member since 2010 • 538 Posts

It sucks... its a horrible impresion of their Dull,Storyline, no puzzles, no impacting dialouge, its "free" u fallow the most linear path ever!!!, its a wannabe D&D ruleset Tactial RPG, not like baldurs gate in anyway!

Buy Baldurs gate 1 & 2 instead.!!!!

Even neverwinter nights 2, crush this **** ^^

Worst tactical game ive played, i like bioware specially their Starwars rpg. but this game is fuped mega fuped!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY I REPEAT DO NOT BUY!

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Go for it! Its a great rpg for any system and plus we get to copy our DA1 saves over to DA2 to complete the background story of what you did as the Warden etc.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Barbariser

I probably enjoyed DA:O a bit more than you from the sound of it but your criticisms are pretty much spot on. I would add that there were also way too many trash mobs littering the game which I think were only there to artificially lengthen it.

With that said, I did tend to overlook many of these faults if only because DA:O was Bioware's first attempt at making a real, proper, if not somewhat flawed, cRPG since NWN and BG2 before that.

I guess the fact that it was at least a small nod towards the more traditional RPGs earned Bioware a few extra brownie points in my book.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Treflis
Make up your own opinion about it rather then listening to others, afterall our preference isn't identical to yours. Watch some gameplay footage and decide if you want to give it a try or not.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Treflis
Make up your own opinion about it rather then listening to others, afterall our preference isn't identical to yours. Watch some gameplay footage and decide if you want to give it a try or not.
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

Make up your own opinion about it rather then listening to others, afterall our preference isn't identical to yours. Watch some gameplay footage and decide if you want to give it a try or not.Treflis

Figures I had to get to the last post to say what I was thinking. Personally I liked the game for the most part but it got old toward the end and dwells on my HDD unfinished maybe to get to again but if my reputation tells me anything that won't happen.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

Lilass

Yes its worth buying8) Its by far one of my favorite RPGS this gen. Everything from the combat to the story is well executed..

lolpingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lolpingu
Member since 2010 • 136 Posts

The story is so compelling you will feel like you are actually IN the game. the characters are lovable and amusing. there are parts where you might cry, there are parts when you might scream in happiness, it is a really touching game.
In terms of combat, it relies heavily on tactics on Hard or above, so it might not be very fast paced if you are planning to play on a high difficulty as you will need to constantly pause the game to issue orders.
I strongly recommend this game if you appreciate a good storyline.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23904 Posts

The game is pretty bad. But it has a few strengths as well

The story was outright cliche, and I honestly couldnt care for any of the characters.
Roleplaying wasnt that good either, there was little room for roleplaying. Most situations had only one solution, violence. On the bright side, the morality is a lot better compared to most games with there being some shades of gray occationally. I will give it credit there.
The combat is good. While it is nowhere near as good as the combat in Dungeons and Dragons it still beats the combat in a lot of modern rpgs. On the other hand it will get really repetitive later on, and most battles will feel pointless. On higher difficulties the combat becomes quite tactical.
There is a fair share of character customization, dont let only 3 c***ses fool you, you have plenty of skills and abilities to choose from.
The Dialog is also good, no conversation wheel. The protagonist is mute however which may turn some people off.
The level design is atrocious, and many areas just seem to drag on and on, the Deep Roads is a good example of what I mean.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#39 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Game was tons of fun, reminded me a bit of some of the old school rpgs.

Pick it up!

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#40 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Game was tons of fun, reminded me a bit of some of the old school rpgs.

Pick it up!

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

The game is pretty bad. But it has a few strengths as well

The story was outright cliche, and I honestly couldnt care for any of the characters.
Roleplaying wasnt that good either, there was little room for roleplaying. Most situations had only one solution, violence. On the bright side, the morality is a lot better compared to most games with there being some shades of gray occationally. I will give it credit there.
The combat is good. While it is nowhere near as good as the combat in Dungeons and Dragons it still beats the combat in a lot of modern rpgs. On the other hand it will get really repetitive later on, and most battles will feel pointless. On higher difficulties the combat becomes quite tactical.
There is a fair share of character customization, dont let only 3 c***ses fool you, you have plenty of skills and abilities to choose from.
The Dialog is also good, no conversation wheel. The protagonist is mute however which may turn some people off.
The level design is atrocious, and many areas just seem to drag on and on, the Deep Roads is a good example of what I mean.

Maroxad

Disagree with the roleplaying; it gives you plenty of options to roleplay allowing for a variety of characters. Combat is a big part of every Bioware game and it's mostly unavoidable but that doesn't stop you from making different characters. I think Dragon Age allows great replayability and good character creation, far more than Bioware's more recent titles, actually.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts
gameplay gets a 5/10 from me and the story and setting get a 1/10. For the originality and sheer depth that old bioware rpg's had DA:O was a disgrace. Like if Beethoven decided one day "screw the piano, I am going all triangles from now on"
robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts
gameplay gets a 5/10 from me and the story and setting get a 1/10. For the originality and sheer depth that old bioware rpg's had DA:O was a disgrace. Like if Beethoven decided one day "screw the piano, I am going all triangles from now on"
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
gameplay gets a 5/10 from me and the story and setting get a 1/10. For the originality and sheer depth that old bioware rpg's had DA:O was a disgrace. Like if Beethoven decided one day "screw the piano, I am going all triangles from now on"robokill
Oh great, now you've drawn out the triangle fanboys.
Avatar image for Roland123_basic
Roland123_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 Roland123_basic
Member since 2002 • 3841 Posts

[QUOTE="Lilass"]

Animatronic64

dont listen to this guy.... known troll on these forums.

Ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ownsin
Member since 2007 • 1331 Posts

[QUOTE="Animatronic64"]

[QUOTE="Lilass"]

Roland123_basic

lol yeah he's always trolling on everything... No one listens to the guy anyway.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Animatronic64

[QUOTE="Roland123_basic"]

[QUOTE="Animatronic64"]It's not worth buying, it's not any good., and it's not any fun in terms of combat and story.

Ownsin

lol yeah he's always trolling on everything... No one listens to the guy anyway.

I'm not a troll. You be hating. Just because someone doesn't like something you like doesn't make them a troll. It's called a differing opinion. Also, the TC did not ask me to provide reasons to back up my claims, so I just gave him my opinion. If you want to call me a troll for it, then whatever.