Dragon Age Inquisition - Thoughts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

What do you guys think of this game? I haven't been following it that closely. I did see a video recently which showed that it was going to be open world with towns that you can capture....neither of which interest me. Really, I'm looking for something more akin to old infinity engine games or NWN/NWN2. Even the DA:O, which wasn't very good, did at least have some good things to build on. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I hope BioWare can redeem themselves.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I think the original Dragon Age is the best by far, it's like NWN and all the Dungeons and Dragons games but with enchanced graphics.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

DA:O wasnt my favorite, but was still a solid game. DA2 was just fucking awful. Only redeeming factor was the interesting mage combat, but other than that I thought it was a pitiful entry. Will be avoiding this next one unless it gets some really raving reviews and such

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#5 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I decided after last year not to give EA any more money so I don't think I will be getting this, it has nice visuals but its hard to know how the gameplay and role-playing elements will pan out.

Good thing we have Dark Souls 2 and Witcher 3 to fill the RPG void.

Valadone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Valadone
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I played DA2 for 15 minutes before I quit. Never done that with a game before.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I'm not as quick to dismiss Dragon Age: Inquisition like many people because of their dislike for Dragon Age 2 and EA. If you're going to hate on EA and Dragon Age 2, then do the same for Dragon Age: Origins because that was under BioWare/EA as well. May not have been the same exact team but still under the same house. Dragon Age 2 wasn't even that bad. Makes no sense. If they had it in them to create a game like Dragon Age Origins, there's a good chance they can rekindle that magic once again. That's pretty silly but they're entitled to whatever opinion even if they are outrageous. I believe that they could really redeem themselves with this one. They are already taking important steps like not plastering Mike Laidlaw as the "spokesperson" for this game like they did with DA2. Most likely part of PR control. I'm just glad I don't have to see that douchebag talk out of his ass. From what I've seen, the game looks really good. There's potential.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Elann2008 said:

I'm not as quick to dismiss Dragon Age: Inquisition like many people because of their dislike for Dragon Age 2 and EA. If you're going to hate on EA and Dragon Age 2, then do the same for Dragon Age: Origins because that was under BioWare/EA as well. May not have been the same exact team but still under the same house. Dragon Age 2 wasn't even that bad. Makes no sense. If they had it in them to create a game like Dragon Age Origins, there's a good chance they can rekindle that magic once again. That's pretty silly but they're entitled to whatever opinion even if they are outrageous. I believe that they could really redeem themselves with this one. They are already taking important steps like not plastering Mike Laidlaw as the "spokesperson" for this game like they did with DA2. Most likely part of PR control. I'm just glad I don't have to see that douchebag talk out of his ass. From what I've seen, the game looks really good. There's potential.

I agree.

Dragon Age 2 was pretty bad, but mostly because people were expecting a better Dragon Age Origins, which it surely didn't come out that way. I always consider DA2 like a spin off simple RPG that could have been released for mobile.

Now, DA3 looks VERY nice, not only because of the frostbyte engine, but by the way the devs are talking they KNOW they failed with DA2 and want to redeem themselves. Have to wait and see.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I'm not terribly concerned that it will turn out like DA2. They know they fucked up with that one. I've always enjoyed the Dragon Age games so I'll be getting three on day one.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Elann2008

@FelipeInside said:

@Elann2008 said:

I agree.

Dragon Age 2 was pretty bad, but mostly because people were expecting a better Dragon Age Origins, which it surely didn't come out that way. I always consider DA2 like a spin off simple RPG that could have been released for mobile.

Now, DA3 looks VERY nice, not only because of the frostbyte engine, but by the way the devs are talking they KNOW they failed with DA2 and want to redeem themselves. Have to wait and see.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. Dragon Age 2 was a lot more like a spin-off. People's expectations were far too high and way off the mark. In some cases, making an "epic" game like Dragon Age: Origins needs to be followed by a short break with a spin-off then have the series return to its roots with another game. It's not like we didn't get enough with DAO along with the Awakening Expansion which was quite solid. I expect the same treatment with Dead Space 4 returning to its roots if it ever does happen even though I thought of Dead Space 3 more like an experimentation with the series.

DA:I looks great with the Frostbite Engine!

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Dragon Age Inquisition: Lead Designer Mike Laidlaw.

Yeah, I'm going to have to pass.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@wis3boi said:

DA:O wasnt my favorite, but was still a solid game. DA2 was just fucking awful. Only redeeming factor was the interesting mage combat, but other than that I thought it was a pitiful entry. Will be avoiding this next one unless it gets some really raving reviews and such

Same.

Plus...the game's setting kind of sucks. I just feel like gaming has come too far to still be putting out something so creatively-devoid. I mean...****. Why the hell would I want to take another stroll through generic fantasy-land when I can play The Witcher 3?

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gooeykat

@airshocker: I'm not concerned it will turn out like DA2, what concerns me it will turn out as something else. Open world? Capturing towns? Sounds more like a Skyrim and/or Far Cry 3. I just want to know is it going to build on DA:O, which was at least decent...or is it going to be again a mish-mash of different game-play from a variety of popular titles to "broaden the audience appeal." The original idea of DA:O was that it was spiritual successor of BG2, just want to know if that going to be the case for DA:I.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gooeykat

@-wildflower-: Yeah, part of me doesn't want to get it either just because Laidlaw is such a douchebag.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Gooeykat said:

@airshocker: I'm not concerned it will turn out like DA2, what concerns me it will turn out as something else. Open world? Capturing towns? Sounds more like a Skyrim and/or Far Cry 3. I just want to know is it going to build on DA:O, which was at least decent...or is it going to be again a mish-mash of different game-play from a variety of popular titles to "broaden the audience appeal." The original idea of DA:O was that it was spiritual successor of BG2, just want to know if that going to be the case for DA:I.

I happen to think open worlds make the game experience that much better. Why would I want to run through linear dungeons when I can look at a mountain in the distance, go to that mountain and find who knows what? This IS a fantasy RPG. What's more fantastical than being able to explore a completely unknown land? So I can't say that's something I agree with your concern on. I also happen to like the idea behind Inquisition. Battling towns and keeps for a purpose instead of just having it tossed in there for flavor.

Expecting the game to be EXACTLY like DA:O isn't realistic. I do think it will build on it very nicely, though.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gooeykat

@airshocker: Well largely because that unknown land usually incredibly dull...just kidding, I do enjoy games like that as well (I'm a huge fan of Fallout NV) but my point is that it seems DA:I has no personality or direction. If I'm a crpg fan and want an experience similar and hopefully better than DA:O (story, strong characters, tactical combat) than it doesn't look like DA:I is going to fit the bill.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Gooeykat said:

@airshocker: Well largely because that unknown land usually incredibly dull...just kidding, I do enjoy games like that as well (I'm a huge fan of Fallout NV) but my point is that it seems DA:I has no personality or direction. If I'm a crpg fan and want an experience similar and hopefully better than DA:O (story, strong characters, tactical combat) than it doesn't look like DA:I is going to fit the bill.

In graphics it's probably not going to be like a cRPG. Even DA:O only bore the barest resemblance and that game was pretty for it's time. As for the story and characters, we'll have to wait and see. I would say the best thing about DA2 was the character Varric and he's going to be a lead character in DA:I. So personally I'm not concerned that they're going to neglect characters. Tactical combat is something I'm going to disagree with you on, though. The Dragon Age series has been pretty tactical. Especially when playing on harder difficulty levels.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I haven't been following the development of DA:I very closely (or at all, really) but there's one thing I need to know: will it have an "awesome button?"

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#19 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

The first DA is a fantastic game. I really enjoyed it, including the combat. I just can't go anywhere near this one till I hear some genuine feedback. Its an EA published game. They don't seem to care what state they put a game out.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FelipeInside

@-wildflower- said:

I haven't been following the development of DA:I very closely (or at all, really) but there's one thing I need to know: will it have an "awesome button?"

YEAHHHHHHHHHH, the old logo is back !!! WOOP WOOP. I hated the new one :P

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#21 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Everything I have seen screams DA2 all over again. No way am I buying this at release after the crap they pulled last time.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

I was actually a fan of Origins, but DA2 was a huge let down in my book. Still...I'm rather excited for DA:I, but I'll wait for the reviews to start rolling out, and wait for the feedback to start kicking in before actually buying it. So...I'm hopeful, but wary.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

I decided after last year not to give EA any more money so I don't think I will be getting this, it has nice visuals but its hard to know how the gameplay and role-playing elements will pan out.

Good thing we have Dark Souls 2 and Witcher 3 to fill the RPG void.

well you could always watch the gameplay segment's on youtube. there's 3 20 minute videos that was show at some exhibition. And I like what they showing so I will most likely get it along with witcher 3

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Im waiting to see how it turns out..Da2 was horrible was like a cut an past put together to fast with no care..As some of yall stated about looks like they learned there lesson..Taking there sweet time with this one..If you build a game right people will buy it..Im hopeful it has all an more than dao had..Wait an see fellas don't dismiss the game just yet..See what the player base is saying after its out..If its good than buy it.Im loving this year we have a great rpg year..Going to be a lot of fun..

Rpg fans out there..Might and magic x was just released..Really loving it so far..Just put a thought out there..

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@Gladestone1 said:

Rpg fans out there..Might and magic x was just released..Really loving it so far..Just put a thought out there..

And Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity coming up. Not to mention others like Dead State, the new Torment, Age of Decadence, UnderRail...

With all this incline going on, I had almost forgotten what the grim face of modern mainstream RPGs had looked like.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

@bussinrounds said:

@Gladestone1 said:

And Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity coming up. Not to mention others like Dead State, the new Torment, Age of Decadence, UnderRail...

With all this incline going on, I had almost forgotten what the grim face of modern mainstream RPGs had looked like.

Just because an old title gets a sequel now doesn't make it good.... and just because an RPG is "modern" doesn't make it bad.

I give all RPGs the same chance of impressing.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Elann2008

@bussinrounds said:

@Gladestone1 said:

I'm looking forward to all of those games in their finished states! Especially Dead State, Pillars of Eternity and Tides of Numenera.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#28 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Gonna wait and see. But with all the nice games coming out, i dunno if i will even have the chance/time to play it even if it turns out to be good.

Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

EA ? No thx.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

It has potential.... Can't help but feel that consols will be the focus again and that the game will still majorly sucl like DAII ... but maybe not.