Dr Dre Beat Studios good for gaming headphones?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Taexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Taexx
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I'm trying to get headphones for music and gaming on my PC, but wondering if dr dre studios are good for gaming.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Beats by Dr Dre = complete garbage.

Just to name a few companies to purchase from, and some to avoid:

Good List:

• AKG
  • Audio Technica
  • Beyerdynamic
  • Denon
  • Grado
  • Sennheiser
  • Shure
  • Stax
  • Ultrasone

Bad List:

• Astro
  • Beats by Dr Dre
  • Bose
  • Logitech
  • Tritton
  • Turtle Beach

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11266 Posts

Good List:

• AKG
  • Audio Technica
  • Beyerdynamic
  • Denon
  • Grado
  • Sennheiser
  • Shure
  • Stax
  • Ultrasone

Bad List:

• Astro
  • Beats by Dr Dre
  • Bose
  • Logitech
  • Tritton
  • Turtle Beach

NVIDIATI

You should make a thread about that. Add these brands:

Klipsch

Sony

Pioneer

Razer

Steelseries

Koss

Nokia

Bowers & Wilkins

Apple

Maybe make a third list called "ok list".

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Lach0121  Online
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

Actually Sony make some fantastic headphones

sony mdr 7506 and the mdr 7509hd... (these are no headphones to scoff at)

Though I would go with the Sennhieser or AKG, or even Audio Technica.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lach0121  Online

Good List:

• AKG
  • Audio Technica
  • Beyerdynamic
  • Denon
  • Grado
  • Sennheiser
  • Shure
  • Stax
  • Ultrasone

Bad List:

• Astro
  • Beats by Dr Dre
  • Bose
  • Logitech
  • Tritton
  • Turtle Beach

NVIDIATI

Hey man have you seen the new Quincy headphones from AKG.. They are supposed to be awesome! (though rather expensive lol)

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NVIDIATI

Hey man have you seen the new Quincy headphones from AKG.. They are supposed to be awesome! (though rather expensive lol)

Lach0121

They're just repackaged headphones from their older lineup. Example the K701/K702 is the same as the Q701. Only difference are the colours and logos, also the Q701 has a logo blocking a part to the rear of the driver.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lach0121  Online

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

NVIDIATI

They're just repackaged headphones from their older lineup. Example the K701/K702 is the same as the Q701. Only difference are the colours and logos, also the Q701 has a logo blocking a part to the rear of the driver.

Ah, ok so really, at that point its pretty much up to which color:price ratio seems the most attractive, between the k701/k702 and the Q's.

do the Q's lose any quality in sound due to the logo placement?

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Lach0121

Ah, ok so really, at that point its pretty much up to which color:price ratio seems the most attractive, between the k701/k702 and the Q's.

If any sound it lost its not much, I'd say the K702s are the best of the 3. They cost the same as the K701 and have a detachable cord (mini XLR). The Q701s are just more expensive and have some more colours.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Dr. Dre Studios aren't good for anything.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

HD 555 modded to hd 595 are imo the best, without paying an arm and a leg.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lach0121  Online

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"] They're just repackaged headphones from their older lineup. Example the K701/K702 is the same as the Q701. Only difference are the colours and logos, also the Q701 has a logo blocking a part to the rear of the driver.

NVIDIATI

If any sound it lost its not much, I'd say the K702s are the best of the 3. They cost the same as the K701 and have a detachable cord (mini XLR). The Q701s are just more expensive and have some more colours.

K thanks for the heads up... the K702's (well the quincy ones were too, but if they are basically the same HPs) are actually at the top of my list for upgrade, Though I just got the HD280 pros(still great HPs), the upgrade is a distance away, These HD280s are sounding better and better as I use them... (Which I expect that out of all premium HPs)

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

James161324

Also maybe look into the new 558.

Here's a comparison between the two.

I just ordered a pair and am going to compare them to my AD700, ES7, and Creative Aurvana Live (basically rebranded Denon AH-D1001) headphones.

redwarrior191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 redwarrior191
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts

[QUOTE="James161324"]

catfishmoon23

Also maybe look into the new 558.

Here's a comparison between the two.

I just ordered a pair and am going to compare them to my AD700, ES7, and Creative Aurvana Live (basically rebranded Denon AH-D1001) headphones.

hey..could you post here again once you've done comparing it? because i'm alsothinking of buying the 558 over 555 now, but i'm afraid the price difference will not justify it..

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#14 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts

Beats by Dr Dre = complete garbage.NVIDIATI

Dr. Dre Studios aren't good for anything.scoots9

This is not true.

Beats by Dr. Dre headphones are very nice headphones, if overpriced. I've tried them, and they're comfortable and sound good. You're doing yourself a disservice buying these when superior products exist for significantly less money, but they are good. Every review I have read has been somewhere between good to amazing, including reviewers like Heaphonia and Audioholics, among the CNets and assorting Gizmo sites.

You are going to get more for your dollar with other products, but that doesn't mean these headphones are bad, let alone "complete garbage"; they're just highway robbery. That makes them a Monster product for sure, but saying that they sound terrible is simply untrue.

Boz

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NVIDIATI

Head-fi on the Beats by Dr. Dre Pro (top of the line beats):

"The soundsignature could very well be described as muddy with overbearing low end even more than the studios already had. After all monster outdid themselves with a product with No ****D amplifier Nor noise cancellation and a higher price that fell lower than the already low standard the studios had. Even if the recordings were done in such a way as to have instruments or synthesized to sound more or less at certain frequencies, the beats fell short no matter what I tried."

Even for a low price I would not buy a Beats by Dre headphone, not to mention the Studio's run on batteries and the sound fades as the power diminishes, these headphones are overpriced, produce a poor sound with little to no sound stage, and are impractical. That makes for a garbage product.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bozanimal

Head-fi on the Beats by Dr. Dre Pro (top of the line beats):

"The soundsignature could very well be described as muddy with overbearing low end even more than the studios already had. After all monster outdid themselves with a product with No ****D amplifier Nor noise cancellation and a higher price that fell lower than the already low standard the studios had. Even if the recordings were done in such a way as to have instruments or synthesized to sound more or less at certain frequencies, the beats fell short no matter what I tried."

Even for a low price I would not buy a Beats by Dre headphone, not to mention the Studio's run on batteries and the sound fades as the power diminishes, these headphones are overpriced, produce a poor sound with little to no sound stage, and are impractical. That makes for a garbage product.

NVIDIATI

This is still not true. One reviewer does not make it so; in two minutes of Googling I can find a dozen reviewers that proclaim the opposite and - in my own experience - they are decent headphones.

That does not mean that I would buy them. It does not mean that I think they're a good deal. It does not mean I recommend them.

The sound quality is good, they look nice, they seemed rugged, which is typical of Monster: Strong branding, pretty hardware, obnoxiously overpriced, and moderate performance. Still, I certainly wouldn't put them in a cIass with Logitech or Tritton. They are not garbage, or even bad.

Now if you want to say they're a garbage value, that is something I can get behind. ;)

Boz

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NVIDIATI

I trust my ears and the credibility of sites such as Head-fi. Its also VERY hard to argue the fact that the charts drawn up show a massive bump in the lows and inconsistencies throughout the mids-highs.

As for the TC's interest in a headphone with a lacking sound stage, he'd be very disappointed to find that they would be awful for gaming.

Lets look at this overpowering lows on the Studio:

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

Sony

Mozelleple112

What are you on? Sony make really good head phones....

The 7506 is brilliant...

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bozanimal

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

Sony

Urworstnhtmare

The 7506 is brilliant...

I don't think he was saying that they make bad headphones, only that additional brands should to be added to the list. Sony has a huge line of headphones; some are good, some are not. Really, any of the larger developers - Sony, Pioneer, JVC - are going to have entry-level products through high-end products in their lineup in order to appeal to multiple markets.

That's the problem with making a list of "good" and "bad" manufacturers; usually they've got a number of dogs and diamonds to form their respective lineups. That doesn't mean you can't make a list that's useful; there are certainly a few "Coby" budget brands out there to be avoided, and NVIDIATI hits all the brands known for higher-quality products in the headphone space.

Boz

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

Sony

Bozanimal

The 7506 is brilliant...

I don't think he was saying that they make bad headphones, only that additional brands should to be added to the list. Sony has a huge line of headphones; some are good, some are not. Really, any of the larger developers - Sony, Pioneer, JVC - are going to have entry-level products through high-end products in their lineup in order to appeal to multiple markets.

That's the problem with making a list of "good" and "bad" manufacturers; usually they've got a number of dogs and diamonds to form their respective lineups. That doesn't mean you can't make a list that's useful; there are certainly a few "Coby" budget brands out there to be avoided, and NVIDIATI hits all the brands known for higher-quality products in the headphone space.

Boz

Never heard of this COBY... But the logo looks suspiciously similar to SONYs and so does the look of their homepage... :P

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
:lol: I love Coby, reminds of the Gamestation i saw at a store once
dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points