This topic is locked from further discussion.

necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 necorid
Member since 2009 • 378 Posts

So i downloaded the shareware DOOM 1 from game spot and that works fine. then i downloaded the JDOOM patch. this patch claims to add the full game. i followed all the steps correctly to install it and yet i can only play shareware. now i need to know. patch claims to include the full game, i have evidence that says it does and it doesnt. does anyone know if the JDOOM patch includes the full game or is it all a lie?

necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 necorid

hmmmmm. i guess everyone is to busy with their new-fangled next Gen games to care about the best FPS every made

necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 necorid

i dont think this is catching guys

necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 necorid

Hmm your right. i guess no one cares about DOOM any more. sad

necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 necorid

drinks later?

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

this is all I could find. hope it helps.

necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 necorid

Thanks bud

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts

pvtdonut54
epic
necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 necorid

ya it really doesnt help all that much

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pvtdonut54

[QUOTE="pvtdonut54"]

TerroRizing

epic

i lol'd :lol:

necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 necorid

sarcasm is useless on the internet

Avatar image for -tears-run-red-
-tears-run-red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -tears-run-red-
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts
DOOM 1 is not the best FPS ever made :[
necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 necorid

with what facts do you challeng my statement? whatever game you are thinking of. it would not have been made if DOOM hadnt popularized FPS into mainstreem gaming

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TerroRizing

with what facts do you challeng my statement? whatever game you are thinking of. it would not have been made if DOOM hadnt popularized FPS into mainstreem gaming

necorid
You just simply cannot confirm that, I think Wolfenstein did just as much.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
What is claiming to be the full game: shareware or Jdoom?
necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 necorid

Wolfenstein started the franchise but DOOM on share ware clocked in over 3 million downloads as of 2005. the most succesfull fps in history

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TerroRizing

Wolfenstein started the franchise but DOOM on share ware clocked in over 3 million downloads as of 2005. the most succesfull fps in history

necorid
If thats accurate, there are several other fps that sold more.
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pvtdonut54

[QUOTE="necorid"]

TerroRizing

even Halo probably sold more :lol:

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

necorid

You have to have the full game. jDoom only adds 3D functionality to the game. The actual levels are created in the doom.wad file located in the actual game. If you only have the demo, it's only going to recreate the demo levels. If you have the full versions of Doom 1, 2 Ultimate doom, then it will recreate the full versions of those games.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

necorid

You are incompetent at PC gaming history. Wolfenstein wasn't the first FPS, but it was the first successful, popular, mainstream game in pop culture. Without it, Doom wouldn't have existed because the id guys would have still been working with Apogee or on their Mario side scrollers.And Half Life sold over 9 million copies, 300% more than Doom. Next time you quote numbers, make sure they're correct. (Source)

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TerroRizing

[QUOTE="TerroRizing"][QUOTE="necorid"]

pvtdonut54

even Halo probably sold more :lol:

It did, Half-Life 2 demolishes doom in sales as well.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

dude, people have lives, tehre not hear to help you with your problems 24/7, how about giving it more than 10 minutes before you start bumping it 5 times.

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

No no no, Jdoom requires the Full Version of Doom's WAD Files (Data Files). If you give it shareware WAD files, it'll give you a shareware JDoom game.

BTW to all these previous posters. Doom had 3+ mil coppies sold in 1993!!!! That's like selling 20 Mil in 2009. Not many played games back in 1993. It was a reletively new market.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

hmmmmm. i guess everyone is to busy with their new-fangled next Gen games to care about the best FPS every made

necorid

actually DOOM 2 is the best FPS ever made....but close.

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

[QUOTE="necorid"]

AFBrat77

Doom 1 is better... lol Doom 2 was good, but Doom 1 takes the cake

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 krazyorange

No no no, Jdoom requires the Full Version of Doom's WAD Files (Data Files). If you give it shareware WAD files, it'll give you a shareware JDoom game.

BTW to all these previous posters. Doom had 3+ mil coppies sold in 1993!!!! That's like selling 20 Mil in 2009. Not many played games back in 1993. It was a reletively new market.

simardbrad
Game sales don't inflate with time
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

krazyorange
Game sales don't inflate with time

haha god thank you. I was scrolling down here to say that, but you beat me to it :)
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 krazyorange
We think alike :) Also: gaming had been fairly mainstream in pop culture since the mid-80's with the Nintendo and arcades. Gaming companies were huge even then (Virgin, Origin, even EA, GT Interactive, Westwood, etc). There were gaming magazines everywhere, games were in the news with the Night Trap/MK controversy -so no, it was not a "relatively new market" and millions played games.
Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
DOOM 1 is not the best FPS ever made :[-tears-run-red-
Yes it is. Halo was the worst btw.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 krazyorange
[QUOTE="-tears-run-red-"]DOOM 1 is not the best FPS ever made :[Dr_Brocoli

eeeeeh it might have been the most influential, but it's hardly the best. I'm the number one fanatic of old school, classic games, but Doom's gameplay didn't really hold up past 1995 :(. As for Halo, it's not the worst, but I agree with you in that it's most definitely nowhere near the best. It's merely "good."
necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 necorid

hehehe this is funny. i like where this is going

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
[QUOTE="Dr_Brocoli"][QUOTE="-tears-run-red-"]DOOM 1 is not the best FPS ever made :[krazyorange

eeeeeh it might have been the most influential, but it's hardly the best. I'm the number one fanatic of old school, classic games, but Doom's gameplay didn't really hold up past 1995 :(. As for Halo, it's not the worst, but I agree with you in that it's most definitely nowhere near the best. It's merely "good."

This is true. Doom was the best in its time, but if you sit someone down today and got him to play Doom and then any other modern FPS, they'd laugh if they heard you calling Doom the best game ever.
necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 necorid

Although i claim DOOM is the best. Tribes Vengeance and Halo Custom Edition for PC are top quality PC gaming

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 krazyorange
That's an opinion not many people are going to share with you. And by "not many," I mean something around five or six other people total. Halo was never top quality on the PC, not by a long shot. The graphics weren't that great, the story wasn't very original or deep, the characters were horrible, and the gameplay itself was boring (oh yeah, instead of making the game double as long, we'll just reverse the first half...EXCEPT WITH HORDE or whatever it's called). Halo was okay at best. Same for Tribes Vengeance; that is one strong opinion you have. Proof alone: I bought it brand new for one dollar less than a year after it came out. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but far from "top quality PC gaming."
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
krazyorange, I am friending you. Halo for the PC was a joke. I give the game credit for single handedly making the Xbox a legitimate console...but despite being an above average console FPS, Halo was at best average as a PC game, particularly when it had the likes of the Half-life series to contend with.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AFBrat77

[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]

[QUOTE="necorid"]

simardbrad

Doom 1 is better... lol Doom 2 was good, but Doom 1 takes the cake

I don't agree, I think DOOM 2 bought the original to perfection....not to mention double-barelled shotgun, Mancubus, Arch-Vile, Revenants, and Arachnotrons! Never played a game with such incredibly devious level design, and this game just kept building to a crescendo with each passing level, weirder and scarier as you marched toward the end.

The original DOOM gets the credit (for being first), but the sequel is Id's Masterpiece IMO.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AFBrat77

[QUOTE="Dr_Brocoli"][QUOTE="-tears-run-red-"]DOOM 1 is not the best FPS ever made :[krazyorange

debatable....I think DOOM and DOOM 2 hold up MUCH better than say, the original HL, a game I love as well. Can't go back and play HL again, but I'd jump on the original DOOM's in a heartbeat.

necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 necorid

hehehe. i said halo Custom edition. regullar halo PC is terrible but i am an avid creator of custom mods. Halo CE is the trackmania of FPS

snared04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#39 snared04
Member since 2009 • 455 Posts
1. DOOM killed Wolfenstein in every facet, viewpoint, etc. possibly imaginable. DOOM was WAY more popular with MAY more circles of gamers, etc. 2. Halo is still overrated, and it outselling DOOM proves less than nothing, as the marketshare of gaming when DOOM was released is nothing compared to the market into which Halo was. 3. You can easily buy the pack of all the classic doom games for the low low price of like 10 dollars. I know this because I bought them all from Wal-Mart several years ago.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 krazyorange

[QUOTE="krazyorange"][QUOTE="Dr_Brocoli"] Yes it is. Halo was the worst btw. AFBrat77

debatable....I think DOOM and DOOM 2 hold up MUCH better than say, the original HL, a game I love as well. Can't go back and play HL again, but I'd jump on the original DOOM's in a heartbeat.

I don't know who you're debating with (maybe yourself in a mirror?) but the original Half Life blows Doom clear out of the water -and I'm not even that much of a HL fan! Anyone can easily play though HL again, and I have many times along with BS and OF. The narrative, the conversations, the level design, they hold up well against a good deal of the crap getting published today. It was stable, it worked, it was revolutionary. It wasn't just run, shoot, and press "space" a billion times.
TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TerroRizing

1. DOOM killed Wolfenstein in every facet, viewpoint, etc. possibly imaginable. DOOM was WAY more popular with MAY more circles of gamers, etc. 2. Halo is still overrated, and it outselling DOOM proves less than nothing, as the marketshare of gaming when DOOM was released is nothing compared to the market into which Halo was. 3. You can easily buy the pack of all the classic doom games for the low low price of like 10 dollars. I know this because I bought them all from Wal-Mart several years ago. snared04
Halo is underated on forum boards like these, but it isnt quite on the level of the Half-Life series or some of the other top pc shooters.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AFBrat77

[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]

[QUOTE="krazyorange"] eeeeeh it might have been the most influential, but it's hardly the best. I'm the number one fanatic of old school, classic games, but Doom's gameplay didn't really hold up past 1995 :(. As for Halo, it's not the worst, but I agree with you in that it's most definitely nowhere near the best. It's merely "good."krazyorange

I don't know who you're debating with (maybe yourself in a mirror?) but the original Half Life blows Doom clear out of the water -and I'm not even that much of a HL fan! Anyone can easily play though HL again, and I have many times along with BS and OF. The narrative, the conversations, the level design, they hold up well against a good deal of the crap getting published today. It was stable, it worked, it was revolutionary. It wasn't just run, shoot, and press "space" a billion times.

Much as I love Half-Life that same kind of gameplay has been done better through the years, notably with Far Cry and HL2, so it doesn't age as well.

The original DOOMs have their own style, and quite frankly I'd say they aged much better in the gameplay department.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 krazyorange

I see your point sort of. Doom began the FPS craze in a more mainstream fashion. However, Half Life jumpstarted the genre with fresh ideas and the notion that FPS games didn't just have to be linear key hunts while mowing down enemy after enemy.

I still disagree with you when you say Doom aged better though. Sometimes I enjoy the mind numbing brutality and the secret-hunting (and IDDQD/IDKFA - still remember them 16 years later!) -and who can not be overrun with joyous nostalgia at the pink monsters- but, on another level, it lacks any sort of complexity. If I were in the mood for a FPS hack-n-slash, I'd run through Painkiller again, or give the Serious Sams another go (or Will Rock, etc etc). I never would find the occasion to relive Doom. In fact, last week I started shooting through Doom 3 again (this time with Duct Tape), and I believe that's as close as I'll ever get to going back in time with Doom.

But Half Life I could replay dozens of times. I'm not sure if it's pure nostalgia (I'm a gamer fueled by the classics - I find they were given more TLC by less people rather than the contemporary concept of tossing millions and two hundred designers at a project, each person with a task so small it makes the games feel soulless) but the opening tram ride is so epic and warming that I could never get tired of it.

Maybe it's just me, but in my well-knowledged opinion, Half Life holds up better than Doom.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

Necorid, check your messages.