Does Steam allow more than one person to have the same exact name?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheGrinchh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheGrinchh
Member since 2013 • 254 Posts

Because I'm uberly surprised that my name I wanted has never been taken. It's simply "Grinch" and I'm just thinking theres no way no one doesn't have that name :P

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Yes people can have the same Steam Name, which you can change all the time. Not so sure about username

TheGrinchh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheGrinchh
Member since 2013 • 254 Posts

Yes people can have the same Steam Name, which you can change all the time. Not so sure about username

lostrib
Oh, thats it :P Forgot about the username.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

You cant have the same account name as someone else but you can change your display name to anything you want.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I always wish I can change my account login name... I made it years ago when I was younger and didn't know that it was permanent!

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

I always wish I can change my account login name... I made it years ago when I was younger and didn't know that it was permanent!

The_Capitalist
I wish that I could merge my accounts. I put Aliens vs Predator 2 into different Steam accounts than the rest of my games, not knowing that I couldn't do anything about it. And my old Half Life 2 account is different, too...
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

The_Capitalist

no one really sees that anyways though

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

TheGrinchh

Yup that's it. Username has to be unique, but you can change your profile name any time, and they don't care if anyone else already has it. I have yet to ever see two people in a multiplayer game with the same name, though. I wonder how steam would handle that. Maybe I'll try that myself tonight, in CSGO. Change my name to be exactly the same as someone else in the same game as me, see what happens.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

superclocked

I wish that I could merge my accounts. I put Aliens vs Predator 2 into different Steam accounts than the rest of my games, not knowing that I couldn't do anything about it. And my old Half Life 2 account is different, too...

I also have an old account that I don't use anymore, although I think an old friend of mine still uses it. I made it back when steam was nothing but a launcher program for HL2 and CSS. All I ever had on it was HL2 and CSS. Gave it to my friend and made a new account when I got the Orange Box, since it had a copy of HL2, along with the other games. I was actually wondering why I didn't get a 5 year veteran coin in the last CSGO update, then remembered that I've only had CS on  this  account since I bought the collection with CSGO last year.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGrinchh"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

the_bi99man

Yup that's it. Username has to be unique, but you can change your profile name any time, and they don't care if anyone else already has it. I have yet to ever see two people in a multiplayer game with the same name, though. I wonder how steam would handle that. Maybe I'll try that myself tonight, in CSGO. Change my name to be exactly the same as someone else in the same game as me, see what happens.

It'll just put a number next to your name.

like Jangowuzhere (1)

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#11 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Steam name yes. Login/Account name, no. It's one of the nicer things about steam though.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
[QUOTE="illmatic87"]Steam name yes. Login/Account name, no. It's one of the nicer things about steam though.

I like the automatic offline mode. If I'm not connected to the internet, when I start a Steam game, it starts right up into offline mode without needing a password or anything. With other software, like Windows Live, I have to put in my username and password everytime that I start a game, even when I'm offline...