Does a keyboard matter?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

When it comes to PC gaming or can I just get a cheap one and then get a better mouse?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Mouse is more important then a keyboard.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

The main thing that matters is that it has N-key rollover/anti-ghosting. Other than that, it is all about how the keyboard feels and that is all personal preference.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jr14

@BassMan: n-key rollover/anti ghosting? What you mean by that?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

@Jr14 said:

one of the bigger differences between super cheap keyboards and better quality keyboards is how the queue up and handle multiple key presses. In games, especially FPS games, you are pressing keys really fast or pressing Shift (to run), W and D (to move and strafe forward and to the right), and hitting space (to jump). Not all keyboards will register all the keys being pressed and/or queue up the keystrokes in the exact order you press it. It usually manifests as a slightly unresponsive keyboard or just completely ignores the 4th or 5th simultaneous button press.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BassMan

@XaosII said:

@Jr14 said:

one of the bigger differences between super cheap keyboards and better quality keyboards is how the queue up and handle multiple key presses. In games, especially FPS games, you are pressing keys really fast or pressing Shift (to run), W and D (to move and strafe forward and to the right), and hitting space (to jump). Not all keyboards will register all the keys being pressed and/or queue up the keystrokes in the exact order you press it. It usually manifests as a slightly unresponsive keyboard or just completely ignores the 4th or 5th simultaneous button press.

Yes. I recently upgraded my keyboard because of this. I would be playing BF4 and I would stop moving unexpectedly as if I was stuck on geometry. Then, I would look around and nothing was around me. I died a bunch of times because of this. It pissed me off. So, I looked into it and my keyboard could not keep up with all the keys I was pressing. I no longer have the issue since upgrading.

This website explains it in detail and lets you test your keyboard...

http://blog.controlspace.org/2010/08/n-key-rollover-what-it-is-and-how-to.html

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Don't buy wireless, and maybe don't buy the cheapest thing you can find (i.e. consider a ~$30 keyboard from a reputable brand).

I recently got a Perixx gaming keyboard (hadn't heard of the brand but took a chance on it at 50% off on Newegg) and it's just so much better than your average consumer keyboard despite me paying about the same amount as one... might be worth looking for a deal like this before settling (this is my first "gaming" keyboard, and the upgrade has been much more appreciated than I expected. I'd recommend it. And, again, it was about the same price as a decent non-gaming keyboard given the great sale). If you do just want to nab something off the shelf, maybe consider a ~$30 Microsoft keyboard - they tend to have decent key action and be pleasant to type on. Nothing worse than a flexy $10 keyboard with unresponsive keys when you are in the heat of battle!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Jr14 said:

When it comes to PC gaming or can I just get a cheap one and then get a better mouse?

My keyboard got 6 macro keys which I do not use, I actually bought it because LEDs.

Moved from Razer Blackwidow mechanical to Corsair K30 rubber dom - I don't think that's a downgrade but actually an upgrade, it looks far better IMO and it got LEDs :D

Mouse is the most important, it doesn't have to cost more though, I use CM Storm Spawn and I love it and it fits great for my fingertip grip.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jr14

Logitech

G105

What about this keyboard? It's only $38.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BassMan

@Jr14 said:

Logitech

G105

I wouldn't buy it. Again, make sure it has N-key rollover/anti-ghosting. If there is no mention of it, it can't really be considered a serious gaming keyboard. I am not sure if it is exclusive to mechanical keyboards (which tend to be pricier). I picked up my Logitech G710+ for $100 CAD, which is a pretty good deal for a mechanical keyboard.

Edit: It seems like the G105 has a 6 key rollover. It has potential. See what owners are saying about ghosting.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GeryGo  Moderator

@Jr14 said:

Logitech

G105

Great keyboard, get it.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@Jr14 said:

Logitech

G105

I have used it extensively. I would not recommend it if you are one of those super-competitive gamers that plays online shooters. You're better off putting that $38 toward something better.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jr14

@PredatorRules: ok I will thank you

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jr14

One more quick question. What's the difference between a mechanical and non mechanical keyboard? Which is better for gaming? Cause I was looking and the Logitech G510's is non mechanical and the G710 is mechanical.

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xCaZx
Member since 2015 • 82 Posts

I have used everything from cheapo combo mouse/keyboards to what I am using now which is a Mechanical keyboard and a decent quality mouse I picked up at best buy.

Personally, I wouldn't run out and replace your keyboard unless your noticing some substantial problems with the one you have currently. I replaced my old one cause it would randomly not respond for a few seconds at a time...usually at the worst possible times (in the middle of a gun fight on CS). I broke down and bought a mechanical keyboard and am happy with it so far.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Got a Ducky Legend with brown keys and i can tell you that just typing random shit (like im doing right now lol) is already pleasant. Just tried my first mechanical keyboard about 1 month n a half ago and never going back.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@Jr14 said:

One more quick question. What's the difference between a mechanical and non mechanical keyboard? Which is better for gaming? Cause I was looking and the Logitech G510's is non mechanical and the G710 is mechanical.

The feel of mechanical keys are different, some are slightly harder to push (black), some do clicky mouse like sounds (blue), some are "meant" for gaming which are the red ones with the lightest force you need to push, brown switches are the most popular because they combine gaming reds and typing with slightly more resist.

The main difference between mechanical and rubber dome is lifespan of the keys; in most descriptions they say the keys should live 5 times more.

Also to take a note you only need 1/3 of the actual push for the keyboard to recognise the command - compared to rubber dome.

I personally don't know that because I've stopped using my BlackWidow after a year or two.

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/ a quick view and explanation about mechanical switches.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#18  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@Jr14 said:

Comfort is most important. In general, I like the feedback and feel of a mechanical keyboard and i use that, but that's just me. But it really depends on the games' control scheme, particularly if the game uses the F1-F12 keys as i find most gaming keyboards have them aligned slightly more left than standard keyboards for easier access..

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jr14

I will probably get the Logitech G710 for $99. Looks like a good keyboard.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BassMan

@Jr14 said:

I will probably get the Logitech G710 for $99. Looks like a good keyboard.

It is a good keyboard. Just be mindful of which one you get. The G710 has the blue switches (very loud and clicky). The G710+ has the brown switches (less loud and nice tactile feel). I have the the G710+ myself. They are both the same price I believe.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jr14

@BassMan: thanks for the tip il see which it is. It says G710, but on the picture it has a + next to the name.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BassMan

@Jr14: If the keyboard itself has blue on the left side, it is the blue switches. If it has orange/brown, it is the brown switches. They are both good and it comes down to preference.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jr14

@BassMan: it has brown/orange on the left side

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BassMan

@Jr14: Same one that I have. :)

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I love the Cherry Reds.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I happen to like the old generic, no-frills L100 that Dell shipped with their budget PCs.

I bought a number of them dirt cheap at a resale store.

Perlstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Perlstein
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

@Jr14: Mechanical keyboard have more feeling when you gaming, especially, RGB mechanical keyboard. I think it is design for game. I love mechanical keyboard in game.

Perlstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Perlstein
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: Really? where did you bought it, I would like buy this type https://www.ireidea.com/product-category/electronics/keyboards/, it is deals and cheap price, it is look great, what do you think?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

lol necro spam

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GeryGo  Moderator

@neclord06: That's a 3 years old thread, locked.