Do you play any games that aren't available on Steam?

Jimmy_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 5

Edited By Jimmy_Russell

Poll Do you play any games that aren't available on Steam? (59 votes)

I only play games available on Steam 10%
I play games not available on Steam 80%
I prefer not to use Steam 10%

What is Steam?

Assuming you are new to PC gaming, I'll briefly explain Steam. Valve Corporation developed "Steam", a content delivery platform that delivers games via the Internet to its users. Steam offers a single place to store your games, as long as you are able to connect to the Internet with your computer, you can download them anytime, anywhere. Other community features that make Steam incredibley useful: Guides, User Reviews, Discussion Boards, Market, Daily Sales, etc. It's a truly all-in-one gaming platform but, for whatever reason, some games are still unavilable on Steam.

I would like to hear from the GameSpot community.
What games are unavilable on Steam?

Please mention a game that isn't currently available on Steam.

Do you prefer to use Steam exclusively, avoiding games that aren't available on it? Or do you prefer not to use Steam at all? Perhaps you don't have a perference either way. Let us know!

• 
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#1 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I just get games where they are cheapest, and often that means getting games that are available on steam elsewhere (like GTA V, Witcher 3 or most of Ubisofts games).

I have no real loyalty towards Steam, I keep up with most of my gamer friends on there but I have no problem using other services for games (except Uplay, that service is and always has been a pain in the ass)

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

wolfenstein 2009 is not available on any digital store to my knowledge

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@TheShadowLord07 said:

wolfenstein 2009 is not available on any digital store to my knowledge

But it was a Steam game, until it was pulled off.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Of course.

Why would I limit myself and my gaming to a single distribution service?

That's like saying I only buy games from EB.

I play what I want to play, I don't care what client or retail shop it's available from.

I DO look for good prices though. Steam still (they promised this years ago) hasn't got Aussie competitive prices, so these days with the AUS dollar so weak most Steam games are too expensive for us.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Me in 2004:

"What? I can't go to a store and buy Half Life 2? I have to download this crappy 'distribution platform' called Steam? HOW LAME!"

Me in 2015:

"What? This upcomming game isn't on Steam and I have to buy it from a store or download it somewhere else? WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS!!!"

That said, a game not being on Steam won't stop me from playing it. Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, every EA game (that isn't crap), other independent games that aren't on Steam for one reason or another. I get a lot of stuff off Oculus share for the Rift or RiftArcade. The only thing that might bar me from buying a game is having to enter credit card details with a company that looks a bit shady, but forutnately most of them take PayPal.

-Byshop

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

Blizzard games.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

im pretty sure you will be hard pressed to find someone who only plays steam games

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Funyarinpa

@jimmy_russell said:
@the_funyarinpa said:

im pretty sure you will be hard pressed to find someone who only plays steam games

Believe it or not, I rarely play any games outside of Steam. Occassionally I'll play a couple games of Hearthstone and then turn it off after a few minutes. I haven't played StarCraft II for over two years now. I spend a majority of my time playing games on Steam, and the purpose of this thread was to see what I might be missing out on, since I pretty much exclusively play games on Steam.

"I pretty much exclusively play games on Steam", meaning not exclusively. I dont think it would be hard to find someone who plays a majority of only steam, but to find someone who plays only on steam is harder

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Yeah EA games, mass effect 3 and fifa on origin.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Funyarinpa

@jimmy_russell said:
@the_funyarinpa said:
@jimmy_russell said:
@the_funyarinpa said:

Believe it or not, I rarely play any games outside of Steam. Occassionally I'll play a couple games of Hearthstone and then turn it off after a few minutes. I haven't played StarCraft II for over two years now. I spend a majority of my time playing games on Steam, and the purpose of this thread was to see what I might be missing out on, since I pretty much exclusively play games on Steam.

"I pretty much exclusively play games on Steam", meaning not exclusively. I dont think it would be hard to find someone who plays a majority of only steam, but to find someone who plays only on steam is harder

I have friends who have been playing Dota 2 for 2 years straight and don't play anything else, bar the random casual phone games they might play on the road, some people don't find interest in many games. I'm sure there are people who exclusively play Battlefield, or StarCraft II. I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of people don't play games outside of Steam. Why would you when you have over 2,400 games available, and one of the best games ever created: Dota 2.

cause maybe youre into league? :P (and cause every game is not on steam, so they may pick up the odd game elsewhere, even the poll is supporting that people dont really exclusively play on steam)

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

There seems to be a very small amount of games that are not currently on Steam. I wonder why a company would not want to be on the Steam platform, home for over 60 million PC gamers.

Because EA want to control your brain!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

@klunt_bumskrint said:
@jimmy_russell said:

There seems to be a very small amount of games that are not currently on Steam. I wonder why a company would not want to be on the Steam platform, home for over 60 million PC gamers.

Because EA want to control your brain!

- EA don't have their games on Steam so people complain they are not Steam.

- Ubisoft have their games on Steam so people complain they have to have two clients installed.

Can't win.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17777 Posts

aye.

im playing the withcer 3 at the moment. ok it is on steam but i bought at retail and GOG galaxy takes care of the maintenance.

I play from games from EA that use origin. Some from ubisoft (well 2) that use Uplay.

caidig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 caidig
Member since 2012 • 29 Posts

i mostly play games on steam except games like titan fall ware its only on origin and hearthstone that's on battle net but i have been thinking a lot lately about wanting more real copy of my games just for the fact of having the games in some sort of form i know its just a code inside for steam but that's not the point i used to only play on consoles till a few years ago but i miss having game cases all over my room but steam and other forms are just so much easier to get the game on

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I prefer gog, I own every blizzard game, and if it's neither gog or blizzard I'll get it on steam. I refuse to origin and EA.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#20 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I go by whatever is cheapest or whatever that allows me to play the game. Most games are through Steam because it has the most content available on the platform.

I do prefer a steam version if the price is on parity. Generally like using its community features, got used to the install format, tracking and general steamworks support. I also like how Steam handles DLC better than most places. And sometimes I just forget I own a game if it's not in my Steam library for whatever reason since Steam is always open.

Kristaok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kristaok
Member since 2015 • 69 Posts

I pretty much don't do digital, and I especially don't do steam. I just never liked steam, I don't even like Origin, but for the Sims 4 you have to have it. Anything digital can be taken away, but physical copies remain.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Why wouldn't I? Steam =/= PC Gaming. It's just leading distribution platform for the PC. I play a lot of old games that are only available on GOG or games from Blizzard that use Battle.net. I don't play EA games anymore, so I don't use Origin. Mirror's Edge 2 will be only game that will make me use it. Other than that, meh.

EDIT:

And Mass Effect: Andromeda if it's good. But I don't trust Bioware anymore. They are hit or miss these days imo. Have no interest in Battlefields or Battlefront.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

League of Legends, and Blizzard games.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@kristaok said:

I pretty much don't do digital, and I especially don't do steam. I just never liked steam, I don't even like Origin, but for the Sims 4 you have to have it. Anything digital can be taken away, but physical copies remain.

it depends on the genres you play.

you can't do physical with MMOs; those games have no "physical copies". other games depend on online services to be functional; what good would mobas be without matchmaking?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Yeah. Whenever I can I buy games directly from developers. If I can;t do that my second option is GOG, as unlike Steam I feel like I more or less actually own those games instead of renting them. Steam is third option for me, but I have no problem buying and playing games on Origin or uPlay. It helps that Steam prices are generally ridiculously high compared to retail here in Poland. And retail quite often doesnt offer Steam key here.

Plus of course most of F2P games either are not even on Steam, or at most debut there a lot later. And launching them through Steam is a bit of a pain in the ass compared to just directly.

Honestly, I find the resitance to just launch another client baffling. But then again, I grew up writing separate autoexec.bats for every game to squeeze the additional 10-40 KB of memory just to make the game run, so my perspective might be skewed :D

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

@Kh1ndjal said:
@kristaok said:

you can't do physical with MMOs; those games have no "physical copies".

What do you mean? Retail copies? If so, I can find a retail copy of most MMOs out there.

@kristaok, you better learn to start liking digital cause you are missing out on awesome titles.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

I'd be more inclined to play a game I'm borderline interested if its on steam. I will play good games regardless of the platform though (interesting origin exclusives, blizzard games, etc..)

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kh1ndjal

@FelipeInside: a retail copy of an mmo is just the game file anyone can download freely (legally) and put on a disc (legally).

Buying it physically just means you get to input a code from a piece of paper into your account (creation) instead of clicking on a link in your email.

In other words, same, but less convenient.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FelipeInside

@Kh1ndjal said:

@FelipeInside: a retail copy of an mmo is just the game file anyone can download freely (legally) and put on a disc (legally).

Buying it physically just means you get to input a code from a piece of paper into your account (creation) instead of clicking on a link in your email.

Correct, I just thought you meant you can't get physical discs anymore with MMO games.

And convenience depends on the user. For someone with slow internet, it's a lot faster (and sometimes cheaper) to buy the game and install it from the disc instead of waiting hours for it do download.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Of course, currently playing TitanFall, BF4, SC2, & HOTS to name a few !!

Whilst there is a huge number of great titles on Steam there are many others not available.. I don't limit myself to 1 service !!

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kh1ndjal

@FelipeInside said:
@Kh1ndjal said:

Correct, I just thought you meant you can't get physical discs anymore with MMO games.

And convenience depends on the user. For someone with slow internet, it's a lot faster (and sometimes cheaper) to buy the game and install it from the disc instead of waiting hours for it do download.

with preloads and huge release day patches i'm not sure there is any guarantee that a physical copy will let you play earlier.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Given the same price I usually buy games on Gamersgate...their blue coin thing is awesome and over the years I have racked up at least $100 in coins that I've used to buy games with. Most games on Gamersgate come with a steam key anyways, so getting the best of both worlds. I also play Battlenet games, Ubisoft, EA, and other indie games not on Steam. I think Steam is awesome, however, I don't limit myself to use it exclusively.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FelipeInside

@Kh1ndjal said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Kh1ndjal said:

with preloads and huge release day patches i'm not sure there is any guarantee that a physical copy will let you play earlier.

It still saves you a lot of download.

Sure, an MMO sometimes has big patches, but the actual game is also normally huge for someone on slow internet.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

A few bits on Origin and Uplay, some old games I have that aren't on Steam. I'd say 90% of my play time is on Steam games though and I prefer to buy there if possible as I like to keep most of my collection together.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Dont really care about steam I have no loyalty with them. Whatever is cheapest is where i go. LOL@ Xbox live for $60

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

I rather have my games scattered than centralized under Steam....so yes.

vrj_rrls_2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 vrj_rrls_2015
Member since 2015 • 20 Posts

I prefer not to use steam when I can I really prefer the no DRM games on GOG

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#38  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2861 Posts

If i had fast internet with unlimited bandwidth i'd probably use steam and gog.com all the time. But as it is, i rarely use any digital download and try to buy games in physical format... bandwidth is too expensive where i live to waste. My overcharge cost is almost 2 dollars a gig, and i rarely have any extra bandwidth at the end of a month so if i download a game thats 50 gb, that would cost me over 100 dollars of bandwidth.... then you have the cost of the purchase of the game on top of that, it doesn't work out.

Jade92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Jade92
Member since 2015 • 44 Posts

I'd prefer to only use steam so all my games are in one place.... but then I wouldn't be able to play the likes of sims, dragon age inq and mass effect 3!

Avatar image for deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
deactivated-5938196c2bbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
Member since 2013 • 344 Posts

If you ask me, EA should go ahead and begine releasing their titles on Steam again. Even if it means I would have to use Origin to actually play them, I would be happy.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

I 'tolerate' to use steam/ any DRM similar distribution service as a last resort. I like my game library not taken hostage every time I wish to play something. GoG, gets the exception of being the only one without DRM and with its own installer for each game. Still in the end, it doesn't matter anymore. You need a 'account' just to be able to play any modern PC game nowadays.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

I play a lot of games on steam but I have many that aren't, I'm not too picky about it, unless we're talking origin or uplay.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 342 Posts

Almost every game I play is not on steam. Theres only 2 or 3 that use steam that ive played.