Do steam games not run as smooth as retail?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

The topic title says it all. A few of my steam games seem to have so hiccups every now and then, the FPS seem to very now and then. My most recent purchase riddick dark athena runs like crap, I know its nt my pc I am maxing Mirrors edge and can run crysis NP. I have noticed slow downs in my steam version of Fallout3 goty that i didnt notice in my hard copy reg fallout3 game as well.

Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

The topic title says it all. A few of my steam games seem to have so hiccups every now and then, the FPS seem to very now and then. My most recent purchase riddick dark athena runs like crap, I know its nt my pc I am maxing Mirrors edge and can run crysis NP. I have noticed slow downs in my steam version of Fallout3 goty that i didnt notice in my hard copy reg fallout3 game as well.

Advid-Gamer

they should run just fine, and not any worse than the retail version. I mean steam itself doesn't exactly take up much of your hardwares resources. I've never had the problems you are talking about. Have you tried reinstalling the gams in question? Just do it overnight when you are asleep so that you won't wait all day for them.

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

I have never had issues with games lagging because of steam. I really like it and have gotten all recent purchases off of steam (some off D2D if not offered by steam at the time)

Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
There's no difference in-game between steam and retail, besides the miniscule amount of processing for the overlay. Also, Riddick surprisingly takes alot to run. I actually had to go down a resolution selection to run it smoothly, but I can run crysis on a good looking setting too.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

Sparticus247

they should run just fine, and not any worse than the retail version. I mean steam itself doesn't exactly take up much of your hardwares resources. I've never had the problems you are talking about. Have you tried reinstalling the gams in question? Just do it overnight when you are asleep so that you won't wait all day for them.

I would prefer to buy every game on steam if I could, I like not having to have a disk. This is in no way a bashing thread I love steam, I was just wondering if this was common. Does Riddick just run like crap or what, I let the Fallout3 thing slide but this is 2 games back to back that are running worse then some of the more demanding games I have on hard copy.
Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

[QUOTE="Sparticus247"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

Advid-Gamer

I would prefer to buy every game on steam if I could, I like not having to have a disk. This is in no way a bashing thread I love steam, I was just wondering if this was common. Does Riddick just run like crap or what, I let the Fallout3 thing slide but this is 2 games back to back that are running worse then some of the more demanding games I have on hard copy.

Yeah...it's just some games run better than others, and run worse than they really should. I've never played Riddick, but others who have here seem to say that it runs bad. I mean look at Oblivion, that game will always stutter a little bit no matter what you play it on. Smoothe most of the time yes, but it has it's issues. Fallout 3 acted better though.

knight0151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 knight0151
Member since 2008 • 1205 Posts

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="Sparticus247"]

Sparticus247

Yeah...it's just some games run better than others, and run worse than they really should. I've never played Riddick, but others who have here seem to say that it runs bad. I mean look at Oblivion, that game will always stutter a little bit no matter what you play it on. Smoothe most of the time yes, but it has it's issues. Fallout 3 acted better though.

There should be absolutely no difference between steam version and retail versions.

This is very true, especially since it uses a lot of CPU (Especially the AI) and it can only use one on the pc, so you can have a quad core, it'll only use one. Horrible coding.

costyssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 costyssj4
Member since 2005 • 473 Posts

They actually run better on steam since they defragment the games, they run better if people dont defrag once in a while, but if they do then they run the same.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34747 Posts
I'd say they run the same on Steam, unless your computer is weak enough to notice that the program is running in the background.