Do I really need HDMI with only 720p native rez?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for miguel_69692003
miguel_69692003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 miguel_69692003
Member since 2003 • 127 Posts

I just got a new 42 inch samsung plasma TV which supports 720p and upscales to 1080i, I have been doing some reading on HDMI vs composite and have found conflicting views on both. Some say there is no difference, others say there is a difference between night and day and so on. Now I have heard that HDMI helps you get the most out of your TV espically when in 1080p, but I have heard that with 720p it really doesn't make a big deal. So whats the deal, do I need HDMI with my TV set up or what?

Also on a side note, I have a older 360 without HDMI, should I consider buying one with HDMI for my set up, or is it just a waste of money at this point?

l0053

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 l0053
Member since 2008 • 70 Posts

I hope you meant component and not composite.

component = HDTV resolution capable

composite = SDTV only

The difference between HDMI and composite is the difference between HDTV and SDTV.

The improvement of HDMI over component is more of a gray area. It is very setup dependent. I don't suppose you can borrow a 360 with HDMI and try it out on your TV? That would be the easiest way to test the HDMI vs. component video performance on your setup.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

I just got a new 42 inch samsung plasma TV which supports 720p and upscales to 1080i, I have been doing some reading on HDMI vs composite and have found conflicting views on both. Some say there is no difference, others say there is a difference between night and day and so on. Now I have heard that HDMI helps you get the most out of your TV espically when in 1080p, but I have heard that with 720p it really doesn't make a big deal. So whats the deal, do I need HDMI with my TV set up or what?

Also on a side note, I have a older 360 without HDMI, should I consider buying one with HDMI for my set up, or is it just a waste of money at this point?

miguel_69692003
Well it wont change the world, but it does make a difference. I've noticed some color, and menus looked much cleaner with HDMI vs component. The real difference is you get a full digital signal with HDMI and the potential to push a higher bandwidth signal. Also the digial audio you get with HDMI is superior to analogue component if you plan on using you TV speakers for audio. Its well worth the price. I payed less for my HDMI cable than my sony brand component cables. Under $20 at monoprice.com
JohnD212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JohnD212
Member since 2002 • 621 Posts
Trust me...do HDMI...the Samsung panels have the Just Scan feature while playing games that allows you to do 1:1 Pixel mapping...but it requires HDMI...its makes things a little sharper cause it eliminates the overscan problem.
slim_jimmy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 slim_jimmy21
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts
since you 360 dont have a hdmi port i wouldnt worry about it. if u ever buy a ps3 then i would buy a hdmi same time u buy a ps3.
Boxcutters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Boxcutters
Member since 2007 • 850 Posts

why not, hdmi looks much clearer than analog compoment cables plus the audio comes in the same cable.

I would upgrade you old 360 too, because the new ones have hdmi and run much cooler, saves on energy cost, PLUS they make a lot LESS noise!

Rumpleforskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rumpleforskin
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

With a digital panel it would be preferred to use hdmi. Since your TV is digital it's best to feed it a digital signal instead of having the console convert a digital singal to analog and sending it through the component cables and having the tv convert the signal again back to digital. Users like myself that have tube hdtv's will be fine just using component cables.

Not sure I would buy another console for the hdmi though.