Do I need all these versions of Visual C++?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

Doing some cleaning of the harddrive, uninstalling sh!t I don't use/need, scrubbing registry, that sort of thing. Noticed I have a bunch of different versions of Microsoft Visual C++ in my programs list. Do I need all of them? Would it f*** anything up if I uninstalled all but the newest ones?

visualp.jpg

#2 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23869 posts) -
yes leave them alone
#3 Posted by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

Alrighty then.

#4 Posted by achilles614 (4878 posts) -
If it were me I'd just delete them all up to the current to be safe. Old programs are like old people, no need for them around and they just take up space and resources.
#5 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

If it were me I'd just delete them all up to the current to be safe. Old programs are like old people, no need for them around and they just take up space and resources.achilles614

That's not always the case, some programs use the older versions of certain software simply because whoever wrote the program used those older versions and the newer versions implement that dependency in a different way. Probably with the C++ redistro's it would be ok to only leave the latest versions, but if anything breaks you will probably have to uninstall/reinstall that app to fix it (unless the app is kind enough to reinstall it when it launches).

#7 Posted by doubutsuteki (2905 posts) -

They were most likely installed because programs you installed needed them.