Do bookshelf speakers with a subwoofer work with PCs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

I want to know if bookshelf speakers+subwoofer works on a PC.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Everything works with a PC. :P
NaturalDisplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NaturalDisplay
Member since 2010 • 548 Posts
Everything works with a PC. :PKHAndAnime
Hahaha very true.
bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

As long as you have a soundcard with the relivent outs you can get anything working really.  

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

You can do HDMI audio through the video card's port to pass through to a receiver.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Depends on the amps more than the speakers.

Whether you're using a stereo amp that passes through the sub (which has a crossover) then to the speakers, or reciever or something else.

Chances are you can make everything work though.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hydralisk86

Depends on the amps more than the speakers.

Whether you're using a stereo amp that passes through the sub (which has a crossover) then to the speakers, or reciever or something else.

Chances are you can make everything work though.

kraken2109

I'm not very good with technology, but i think i remember my brother having a rectangular metal box, that was probably the amp. Is an amp necessary? What does it do? I jus did a random wikipedial search on amps, and nothing really turns up.  What about receivers?  What are those, and are they necesary?  My sound card is inside my PC, but months ago it was acting weird...Is it possible for me to just plug the speakers in the sound hole that comes with the PC itself, and not the sound card, and make it work?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KHAndAnime

What kind of bookshelf speakers were you looking at? Some are active, some are passive. Active ones have an amp built into them. If they aren't active, you can buy a Dayton T-Amp for cheap.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hydralisk86

What kind of bookshelf speakers were you looking at? Some are active, some are passive. Active ones have an amp built into them. If they aren't active, you can buy a Dayton T-Amp for cheap.

KHAndAnime

I'm thinking on maybe buying speakers and a subwoofer on April, and i think i remember a few people in the forums recommending these: http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1200-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00669L3HS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360960493&sr=8-2&keywords=dayton+audio+subwoofer and http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp/B000OG6I6A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360961047&sr=8-3&keywords=bookshelf+speakers However, is there a chance they could come out with better speakers and subwoofer later on around April?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

hydralisk86

I'm thinking on maybe buying speakers and a subwoofer on April, and i think i remember a few people in the forums recommending these: http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1200-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00669L3HS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360960493&sr=8-2&keywords=dayton+audio+subwoofer and http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp/B000OG6I6A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360961047&sr=8-3&keywords=bookshelf+speakers However, is there a chance they could come out with better speakers and subwoofer later on around April?

I'm sure there are much better bookshelf speakers that you can purchase than ones from Sony. I've never heard of Sony making the best budget bookshelf speakers. It's really not a matter of time, rather a matter of research and how much money you're willing to spend. And those are passive, so you would to buy an amp. Given the size of those Sony speakers, you might need an amp bigger than the one I linked.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hydralisk86

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

KHAndAnime

I'm sure there are much better bookshelf speakers that you can purchase than ones from Sony. I've never heard of Sony making the best budget bookshelf speakers. It's really not a matter of time, rather a matter of research and how much money you're willing to spend. And those are passive, so you would to buy an amp. Given the size of those Sony speakers, you might need an amp bigger than the one I linked.

I'm willing to spend around $300, but that could change in the future.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kraken2109

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"] I'm thinking on maybe buying speakers and a subwoofer on April, and i think i remember a few people in the forums recommending these: http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1200-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00669L3HS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360960493&sr=8-2&keywords=dayton+audio+subwoofer and http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp/B000OG6I6A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360961047&sr=8-3&keywords=bookshelf+speakers However, is there a chance they could come out with better speakers and subwoofer later on around April?

hydralisk86

So you're after 2.1, would you want to upgrade to 5.1 in the future or not?
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] I'm sure there are much better bookshelf speakers that you can purchase than ones from Sony. I've never heard of Sony making the best budget bookshelf speakers. It's really not a matter of time, rather a matter of research and how much money you're willing to spend. And those are passive, so you would to buy an amp. Given the size of those Sony speakers, you might need an amp bigger than the one I linked.

kraken2109

Excuse me for asking, but is 5.1 better than 2.1?
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kraken2109
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] I'm willing to spend around $300, but that could change in the future.hydralisk86

5.1 is surround sound with a sub, 2.1 is stereo with a sub. If you want to upgrade to 5.1 at some point you're better off buying a reciever but only starting with 2.1, and then you can add extra speakers late, rather than buying a stereo amp and later deciding you want surround. It's basically down to your budget. 5.1 means splitting up your budget and is not recommended for under $500.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] So you're after 2.1, would you want to upgrade to 5.1 in the future or not?

5.1 is surround sound with a sub, 2.1 is stereo with a sub. If you want to upgrade to 5.1 at some point you're better off buying a reciever but only starting with 2.1, and then you can add extra speakers late, rather than buying a stereo amp and later deciding you want surround. It's basically down to your budget. 5.1 means splitting up your budget and is not recommended for under $500.

I'll probably stick to 2.1, then.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kraken2109
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] Excuse me for asking, but is 5.1 better than 2.1?

I'll probably stick to 2.1, then.

$300 is a difficult budget, if it was $200 I'd say get a nice amplifier and a nice pair of stereo speakers and buy the sub a bit later, but I guess $300 might squeeze in a decent sub too. Dayton make some good budget subs: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-629
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hydralisk86

As long as you have a soundcard with the relivent outs you can get anything working really.  

bulby_g

What happens if my sound card is broken? I think it's broken, it's been acting weird, and i don't know if it stopped working, because my speakers stopped working some time ago, so i can't test the sound card with them. I tried plugging my ipod earbuds into one of the holes in the soundcard, but it doesn't work either. If i were to plug the bookshelf speakers into the hole that comes with the PC, should they work?  Also, the sound card is placed inside the PC.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kraken2109

[QUOTE="bulby_g"]

hydralisk86

What happens if my sound card is broken? I think it's broken, it's been acting weird, and i don't know if it stopped working, because my speakers stopped working some time ago, so i can't test the sound card with them. I tried plugging my ipod earbuds into one of the holes in the soundcard, but it doesn't work either. If i were to plug the bookshelf speakers into the hole that comes with the PC, should they work?  Also, the sound card is placed inside the PC.

You need an amp for most bookshelf speakers, then you plug the amp into the soundcard. Which hole did you put the earbuds in?
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

[QUOTE="bulby_g"]

kraken2109

You need an amp for most bookshelf speakers, then you plug the amp into the soundcard. Which hole did you put the earbuds in?

Actually, the earbuds right now are plugged into the hole in the front that is for earbuds. They work some of the time. I was just hoping if i get bookshelf speakers, that i can use the green hole in the back of the PC that came with the PC. But then because the earbuds only work sometimes, i may have to just buy a new computer.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraken2109
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] What happens if my sound card is broken? I think it's broken, it's been acting weird, and i don't know if it stopped working, because my speakers stopped working some time ago, so i can't test the sound card with them. I tried plugging my ipod earbuds into one of the holes in the soundcard, but it doesn't work either. If i were to plug the bookshelf speakers into the hole that comes with the PC, should they work?  Also, the sound card is placed inside the PC.hydralisk86

Actually, the earbuds right now are plugged into the hole in the front that is for earbuds. They work some of the time. I was just hoping if i get bookshelf speakers, that i can use the green hole in the back of the PC that came with the PC. But then because the earbuds only work sometimes, i may have to just buy a new computer.

You don't need a new computer if the sound is broken, just a soundcard.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] You need an amp for most bookshelf speakers, then you plug the amp into the soundcard. Which hole did you put the earbuds in?

You don't need a new computer if the sound is broken, just a soundcard.

Well, if i'm not mistaken, the sound itself doesn't work sometimes, so even if i replace the soundcard, the sound may still not work.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
If you get a working soundcard,I don't get why it wouldn't work... :|
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hydralisk86
If you get a working soundcard,I don't get why it wouldn't work... :|MonsieurX
Basically, i have been using cheapo ear buds to listen to stuff on my PC, and they are horrible because they only work well with an ipod. the issue is, i cannot remember whether or not the sound has problems once in the while. I was saying it's possible that the soundcard only works sometimes, but i didn't have speakers to plug into the hole of the soundcard in the back of the PC because my speakers broke. after that, i used cheap headphones plugged into the headphones hole on the front of the PC, until those headphones broke, and i was using the ipod earbuds i just mentioned.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MonsieurX
Get some cheapo earbuds and try it out? :|
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hydralisk86
Get some cheapo earbuds and try it out? :|MonsieurX
I plugged in the earbuds into the holes in the back of the PC. The green hole on the top works, the green hole on the bottom doesn't (I'm not 100% sure, but i think the bottom green hole is the soundcard). This computer, after a few more months, will have been around 7 years old, if that information is important.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MonsieurX
Then getting a soundcard will solve the problem Look for the Asus Xonar DX
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hydralisk86

Then getting a soundcard will solve the problem Look for the Asus Xonar DXMonsieurX
Do you think a 7 year old computer will work well with that soundcard? Second question is, is it as simple as removing the old sound card and inserting the new one? I have never done it before, but i might be able to get my brother to do it for me.

I did a newegg search on this soundcard, it seems people had trouble installing it...Is it really that hard to install? I'm considering just buying some nice headphones and using those instead.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MonsieurX

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Then getting a soundcard will solve the problem Look for the Asus Xonar DXhydralisk86

Do you think a 7 year old computer will work well with that soundcard? Second question is, is it as simple as removing the old sound card and inserting the new one? I have never done it before, but i might be able to get my brother to do it for me.

I did a newegg search on this soundcard, it seems people had trouble installing it...Is it really that hard to install? I'm considering just buying some nice headphones and using those instead.

You're fine if you have a PCI lane on your motherboard and shouldn't be hard,just put it in
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hydralisk86

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Then getting a soundcard will solve the problem Look for the Asus Xonar DXMonsieurX

You're fine if you have a PCI lane on your motherboard and shouldn't be hard,just put it in

What is a way to test to see if the PCI lane isn't somehow broken? I mean the inside of the PC has a lot of dust in it. Are we talking about this sound card? http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-Channel-XONAR_DX-XD-90-YAA060-1UAN00Z/dp/B0017DJXG6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362971169&sr=1-1&keywords=Asus+Xonar+DX

And we are talking about the PCI Express Slot right?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MonsieurX
It's the soundcard on your motherboard that seem to malfunction
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hydralisk86
It's the soundcard on your motherboard that seem to malfunctionMonsieurX
OK. Well, for this month, i will buy some cheap headphones, do you know what the best ones are for $35 or cheaper? I will decide to buy a card maybe later next month, not now.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kraken2109
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]It's the soundcard on your motherboard that seem to malfunctionhydralisk86
OK. Well, for this month, i will buy some cheap headphones, do you know what the best ones are for $35 or cheaper? I will decide to buy a card maybe later next month, not now.

Why are you buying headphones if your sound is broken..?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MonsieurX
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]It's the soundcard on your motherboard that seem to malfunctionkraken2109

Front port is working
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] OK. Well, for this month, i will buy some cheap headphones, do you know what the best ones are for $35 or cheaper? I will decide to buy a card maybe later next month, not now.

Front port is working

That is the issue atm, i'm not sure if the sound doesn't work like once every 50 uses. I will have to keep testing the sound and see if there is a problem.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?products_id=167

Really good set of speakers simple too. Uses 3.5mm cord(mp3 cord)