D-Link DI-604 router + Static Ip address = Problems?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mccormickja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mccormickja
Member since 2003 • 104 Posts
Hi

I bought a D-Link DI-604 router to play Xbox Live with (as its Xbox Live recommended) and its great for that. But for use with P2P programs I need to do port forwarding, and in order to do that I need to have a static IP. Fine, as I set a static Ip addres on my previous router (using portforward.com) with no problems - and to make it clear I mean an internal static IP, ie only on my computer.

But... It doesnt work! Im pretty much 99% sure that all the ip address/ subnet mask/ dns values are correct (Im using the same dns values as I did on my previous router only a week ago, and that worked - and yes, on the same isp)... So whats the problem?

Ive tried doing it on my internet connection properties AND through the router menu.

Anyway know what could be up?

Thanks in advance.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
Turn off DHCP
TNT_9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TNT_9999
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
Make sure the router has DHCP on. In the Xbox or Windows network settings enter in your local static address example 192.168.1.100 subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0 for that IP. For default gateway use the routers IP and for DNS you can use your ISPs DNS information or just put in your routers IP for primary DNS. In port forwarding enter the local IP and port numbers you want to open, some configs have a check box on the side to enable.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DirkVDV01
Turning DHCP on will give dynamic internal IP's that have a time ticket... You better turn it off, or otherwise IP's will change once the ticket deadline has been reached.
TNT_9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TNT_9999
He wants to enter static ip's on his computer not in the router settings.
mccormickja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mccormickja
[QUOTE="DirkVDV01"]Turning DHCP on will give dynamic internal IP's that have a time ticket... You better turn it off, or otherwise IP's will change once the ticket deadline has been reached.

Ok thanks for the quick replies. Will turning off DHCP affect the other users of my router (my Xbox, and my two housemate's computers?).

So whats youre saying is simply, turn off DHCP and then set a static IP address like I did and it should work?

Thanks
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DirkVDV01
He wants to enter static ip's on his computer not in the router settings.TNT_9999
DHCP will overwrite those settings then.
mccormickja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mccormickja
He wants to enter static ip's on his computer not in the router settings.TNT_9999

Yeh.

But Im sure Ive alread done what you said.. o why isnt it working?

I got all the details from my ipconfig and then chose and IP address for myself outside of the IP address pool (according to portforward.com).. So why wouldnt it work?

DO I need to wait for a bit, cos with my old router the change was instant.
TNT_9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TNT_9999
[QUOTE="TNT_9999"]He wants to enter static ip's on his computer not in the router settings.DirkVDV01
DHCP will overwrite those settings then.

I'm just saying DHCP will automatically gets his network settings from his ISP.  All he wants to do is port foward.  Assigning a manual address in windows will keep his local ip address from changing.
TNT_9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TNT_9999
[QUOTE="TNT_9999"]He wants to enter static ip's on his computer not in the router settings.mccormickja

Yeh.

But Im sure Ive alread done what you said.. o why isnt it working?

I got all the details from my ipconfig and then chose and IP address for myself outside of the IP address pool (according to portforward.com).. So why wouldnt it work?

DO I need to wait for a bit, cos with my old router the change was instant.

In Windows go to start, settings network conections. Right click the connection go to properties, select internet protocol(TCP/IP) and click properties. Than choose Use Following IP and DNS will choose manual.

Just use the IP to get into your router config, enter it for primary DNS server. If that still doesn't work try automatic settings on again and copy the local IP it gives usually 192.168.1.10 or 192.168.1.100 and repair the connection when you re enter your manual settings.
kidkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kidkit
Member since 2005 • 2783 Posts
%$@!$ the D-Link Di-604, like most Dlink routers can do DHCP address reservation. Use that, reserve addresses for your computer(s) that needs port forwarding. Keep it simple, avoid static addressing.
uranus_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 uranus_001
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Disable DHCP Go to Windows Network Settings, use your routers IP for the DNS and Gateway.
mccormickja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mccormickja
[QUOTE="kidkit"]%$@!$ the D-Link Di-604, like most Dlink routers can do DHCP address reservation. Use that, reserve addresses for your computer(s) that needs port forwarding. Keep it simple, avoid static addressing.

Ahh I see.

Did that. and it no longer has an "expire time" for my ip address now.

Btw guys I DID try the network connections, properties etc route for getting a static IP address, but for some reason it didnt work! Dunno why (as it worked fine with my previous router, only about a week ago!), but who cares.

Thanks for your help guys.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

A router reservation (if that's an option on your router) or setting up a static IP on the computer is the best way to go. Do -not- turn DHCP off on the router or -all- your computer will require static IPs.

Do this. Set up your static ip how you think it should be set, then cut and paste the results of an "ipconfig /all" from that box here. When setting up the static IP, bear the following in mind:

The IP address you assign it should be in the same subnet as the router (i.e. if your router is 192.168.2.1, your IP needs to be 192.168.2.2 through 254 assuming a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0). Also, the address should not overlap with any existing box you have on your network. It also should not exist within the DHCP scope range of the router (many routers start at .100, so following in suit from my previous example you'd pick a number between 192.168.2.2 through 192.168.2.99).

Log into your router or view the IPconfig of another box on your network to find your ISP's DNS servers and enter those sequentially. Also, make sure the -internal- IP address of your router is set as your "default gateway." If either of these two things are not done correctly, your computer will not be able to browse the internet.

One last thing to bear in mind is that if you wanted to get going right now, you don't actually need static IPs. It's certainly recommended, but if you turn your computer on more than one a week (the default lease expiration time on many devices) then you don't have to worry about your ip changing. A static IP is still the best way to go, but if you just want to get going now you could forward to your DHCP assigned address.

-Byshop