Hellenic1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hellenic1234
Member since 2006 • 201 Posts

I am waiting for the newer DirectX12 GPU's to be released. Just a few questions.

How long do you think do we have to wait until they are released?

To access DirectX12, do I have to upgrade to Windows 10, will Windows 10 be a free upgrade if you have Windows 8?

Important, will I have problems playing DirectX10 and Direct X11 games such as Civilization V and Shogun 2 Total War, will they work just as good as they do on Windows 8 and a DirectX11 GPU?

Thanks.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

dx12 q4 2015 or q1 2016 ,dx12 gpu is already released nvida 9xxx series has full support , amd new 3xxx series will have full support i think the release date q3 2015 . off course you wont have problems running dx11 or 10 by dx12 , dx always had backwards compatibility , dx12 is like extension to the rest .it will run better at dx 12 and only windows 10 will support dx 12 .

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

@Jawad2007 said:

dx12 q4 2015 or q1 2016 ,dx12 gpu is already released nvida 9xxx series has full support , amd new 3xxx series will have full support i think the release date q3 2015 . off course you wont have problems running dx11 or 10 by dx12 , dx always had backwards compatibility , dx12 is like extension to the rest .it will run better at dx 12 and only windows 10 will support dx 12 .

Thanks for that. That's made my mind up and defo waiting till at least March 2016 to buy a new PC with windows X.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Actually the DX12.0 which will have most performance improvements and especially the parallel CPU working with the GPU (huge improvement for the 4threaded CPU and more), will be enabled to all AMD GCN cards which means 7xxx, Rx 2xx and all Nvidia DX11 GPUs from Fermi and up which means 4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx too.

Now if you want the new graphics options (like tesselation for DX11) as @Jawad2007 said, Maxwell has DX12.1 which will enable Conservative Rasters andRaster Ordered Views.

AMD will also launch new GPUs (Rx 3xx) in June that will support the new graphic options.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Upgrading to Win 10 is supposed to be free the first year for everyone with Win 7 or newer I believe.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@horgen said:

Upgrading to Win 10 is supposed to be free the first year for everyone with Win 7 or newer I believe.

Don't you mean W10 IS free for everyone?

If its available for pirates free, then anyone could just download W7/8.1 and get a free upgrade license.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@horgen said:

Don't you mean W10 IS free for everyone?

If its available for pirates free, then anyone could just download W7/8.1 and get a free upgrade license.

But remember the catch. If it's a pirated version you will get a non-genuine Windows 10 license.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#8 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

The W10 upgrade is most likely to be delivered via Windows update from what I can tell from the tech demo and other info - and there's bound to be checks in place to try to prevent non-genuine W7/8 installs from actually using it properly, they've put updates through it before that include checks that will break pirated versions after all. I'm sure pirates will end up with W10 one way or another regardless, but you'll probably need a genuine license to upgrade to a working copy of W10 for free via the intended method at least.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@robotopbuddy said:

The W10 upgrade is most likely to be delivered via Windows update from what I can tell from the tech demo and other info - and there's bound to be checks in place to try to prevent non-genuine W7/8 installs from actually using it properly, they've put updates through it before that include checks that will break pirated versions after all. I'm sure pirates will end up with W10 one way or another regardless, but you'll probably need a genuine license to upgrade to a working copy of W10 for free via the intended method at least.

They confirmed non genuine of copies are included for the upgrade as well. They want people off Windows 7 and to use the Windows marketplace store to purchase apps.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898668/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-software-pirates-too.html

Also to the op, the amd 2xx series and nvidia 6xx and above supports DX12.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@robotopbuddy said:

They confirmed non genuine of copies are included for the upgrade as well. They want people off Windows 7 and to use the Windows marketplace store to purchase apps.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898668/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-software-pirates-too.html

Also to the op, the amd 2xx series and nvidia 6xx and above supports DX12.

They already said that it will be a non-genuine Win10 license for pirated Win7/8.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/19/microsoft-says-free-windows-10-upgrades-for-pirates-will-be-non-genuine-and-unsupported-stays-mum-on-security/

So basically pirates end up the same as always. Actually he left a lot of things unanswered so there could even be another catch.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Well that's disappointing, I thought they were trying some a bit innovative.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#12 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

last time i checked Directx12 will work in windows 7 also. So theres not a reason to update to 8 or 10.

I'm sticking with windows 7 because everything i have works so well in it and i can't risk any problems with windows 10 will cause me with any of my older apps or games. If windows 10 has some huge gaming performance increase i'll probably install it under some kind of dual boot but i can't see there being anything dramatic since i found windows 8 to run things sluggish compared to 7.

so OP, unless Microsoft has gone back on what they said last year, DX12 will work in windows 7.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

So will my gtx 980 double or triple fps in games when dx12 cones out? Benchmarks show double fps for star swarm on the 980 with a 4 Core CPU on medium quality and triple on extreme quality. Would be nice to get 120+ on games I can only run barely above 60fps.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

the question is how many games is supporting DX 12 , or the new opengl . IF Microsoft released dx 12 q4 possibly , lets say 4-5 months for engines to start supporting it that means at least 1 year to have a game that support dx 12 .

but maybe developers like CD Projekt give a patch for Witcher 3 that's support DX 12 . but how many developers well do that ?

to be honest I would like OpenGL to have more support , its kindda disappointing that we cant choose what OS we can play in .

How much i tried to play @linux still go back to windows cause Games and programs like Autocad .

its not about the OS to be free or not , its just a matter of taste , and i see people with linux OS trying to buy programs more that windows .

OpenGL works Great both in Windows and Linux .

And Again Bravo AMD for pushing Microsoft and Opengl to make something New , that is literary gonna make our PC Superior with less demanding techs .

We got stuck with Dual core system for long time , and companies like intel took advantage of single processor performance advantage .

How many people have i7 Cpu for like 10 fps advantage . or the new line with 8 cpuz and nothing to fully utilize it , " not talking about rendering and other stuff "