Directx 10 comparison question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

maccaaccam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 maccaaccam
Member since 2004 • 630 Posts

im hoping this is a simple question to answer.

Does directx 10 look better than directx 9 while keeping the same fps as the directx 9 game.

For example in crysis i can play it all on the highest setting possible under directx9 and at a decent fps. if i got direct x 10 will crysis look better than under direct x 9 even if i have to lower some setting to keep a decent frame rate?

Thanks for any help. cause direct x 10 is like the main reason id go up to vista.

BushWacker69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 BushWacker69
Member since 2007 • 614 Posts
looks better in some games but only marginally, with most cards there is a massive hit to the fps, 4800 series seems to handle it better than most but there's still a fair hit
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

Depends on the game honestly. In some games, DX10 performs horribly with hardly any noticeable visual improvements. Other games are a lot better (Company of Heroes I think had good DX10 performance if I remember right).

But, overall, there's not going to be some amazing leap with DX10 games.

maccaaccam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 maccaaccam

ok thanks.

so say i install vista and directx 10. can i just not turn on the direct x 10 features in game? will that make it run as well as it did under dx9

BushWacker69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BushWacker69
Member since 2007 • 614 Posts
there are ways to keep vista but still play in dx9, i think with some it's fairly simple. like Crysis i think you right-click the shortcut and select play in dx9 or dx9 mode or something.
Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts

ok thanks.

so say i install vista and directx 10. can i just not turn on the direct x 10 features in game? will that make it run as well as it did under dx9

maccaaccam

Usually, directx 10 effects need to be enabled in the graphics tab in the option menu within the individual game you want to play. So, for instance, I am running Vista and have an 8800gts card...but if I wanted to play in directx 9 in Bioshock, Crysis, Universe at War, Company of Heroes, etc... all I need to do is go into options, click on the graphics tab, and uncheck the directx 10 box. Actually, some games (like Hellgate: London) have a separate executable file for directx 9 and 10. So, right now, dx10 is simply an option...not a requirement in games (something I am hoping will change in the future...much like how dx8 took about 1-2 years to finally become standard)

maccaaccam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 maccaaccam
thanks for all the help. i mainly use my computer for games and internet. what are some of the biggest disadvantage of going to vista now instead of in a few months. if like you said dx10 is more of an option than a requirment in game.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

Company of Heroes I think had good DX10 performance if I remember right).

zomglolcats

It does not.

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

Well I have 3 Dx10 games currently and I installed vista on a second HDD to test them out. First off is World in Conflict. I didn't notice much difference between Dx9 and Dx10 besides Dx10 having better looking water and some nicer effects overall, but it took a bit of a performance hit that is not warranted for the difference in looks. Then I tried Company of Heroes and I can run it at about 45FPS in a heated battle full settings (except for AA) on Dx9, I went to Dx10 with the same settings, but the shaders on Dx10 and the game ran at 25FPS at the start of a match... which is terrible. Third game, Lost Planet Colonies Edition gave me some error about dx10 initilizing, probably because it's not installed on the vista partition and rather on the xp one. So I didn't give it a try yet.

In Conclusion: Wait before using Dx10, maybe when the next gen of GFX cards come out and maybe after Dx11 we'll be able to use those new shaders with little performance hits.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
My 8800 ultra chugs right through DX10 enabled games like bread and butter ... im hoping the newer series cards do so as well lol .... honestly people have made mods on games like crysis pretty much emulating dx10 graphics ... obviously at the price of performance again but no your not gonna see some huge leap in graphics when upgrading to dx10. DX11 is another story but its not out yet so .... dont buy a gpu for that obviously haha
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
There's very few games where the DX10 performance is similar to DX9. I think Assassin's Creed and Bioshock had the best performance with DX10 (though the differences are subtle, but then again, so is it for every other game besides Crysis).
faisal_6600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 faisal_6600
Member since 2008 • 205 Posts

I think this is good for games after driectx9 this is betterr