Did I make the right choice?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Xerxezz (6 posts) -
Hello everyone, I'm not so familiar with selecting decent quality for my computer since I do not upgrade my computer a lot. I upgrade it perhaps once every 5 years. I was getting tired of having low FPS on the next-gen games so I've decided to upgrade my computer. Will this set-up provide me with everything I need in order to play the latest next-gen games? If not, please do say so. Here's what I chose: Intel® Core i7-3770K processor 32 GB DDR3-1600 MHz 240 GB SSD 3 TB SATA 600 / 7200rpm / 64MB / 8,5ms 3 GB AMD Radeon HD7970 Power supply: 600 watt(s) Thanks!
#2 Posted by MonsieurX (31695 posts) -
Yes but 32gb ram is overkill for gaming But I'm still wondering why people ask opinions AFTER buying them
#3 Posted by Xerxezz (6 posts) -
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Yes but 32gb ram is overkill for gaming But I'm still wondering why people ask opinions AFTER buying them

Why is it overkill? Is it bad to have more than enough RAM? I'm asking because I have ordered it but during the wait my brain's going paranoid and am thinking whether I've made the right choice or not because it was quite expensive.
#4 Posted by pickettsticket (193 posts) -
[QUOTE="Xerxezz"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Yes but 32gb ram is overkill for gaming But I'm still wondering why people ask opinions AFTER buying them

Why is it overkill? Is it bad to have more than enough RAM? I'm asking because I have ordered it but during the wait my brain's going paranoid and am thinking whether I've made the right choice or not because it was quite expensive.

overkill is just something you say when it is not needed or you will just never get round to using that much, that is however for gaming, if you do any editing you need a LOT of ram so that will serve you well.
#5 Posted by jakes456 (1398 posts) -

for gaming 32gb ram is not needed and neither is a 3770k.

i5 3570k and 8GB ram. Unless you see a good deal on 16gb there is no reason to buy even that.

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13237 posts) -
16GB ram would be more than enough, even for editing videos/images. If you have to ask how much you need, you don't need 32GB - if you needed it, you'd know.
#7 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23864 posts) -
I mean, now that you have 32 gigs of ram, it's good for showing off.
#8 Posted by Xerxezz (6 posts) -
Thank you for the replies. I'd like to add that I do work with several memory-eating programs such as Cinema 4D, After Effects, etc.
#9 Posted by pickettsticket (193 posts) -
Thank you for the replies. I'd like to add that I do work with several memory-eating programs such as Cinema 4D, After Effects, etc.Xerxezz
then consider it not so overkill lol, will last you a good while though. How much was this PC if you don't mind me asking?
#10 Posted by Xerxezz (6 posts) -
[QUOTE="Xerxezz"]Thank you for the replies. I'd like to add that I do work with several memory-eating programs such as Cinema 4D, After Effects, etc.pickettsticket
then consider it not so overkill lol, will last you a good while though. How much was this PC if you don't mind me asking?

It costed me about 1700 Euros. I did, however, add an additional 16GB of RAM because it had room for that (the default setup was 16GB of RAM) and because a friend told me RAM is always welcome, especially in the editing business. By the way, isn't a 3770K good for gaming?
#11 Posted by pickettsticket (193 posts) -
[QUOTE="pickettsticket"][QUOTE="Xerxezz"]Thank you for the replies. I'd like to add that I do work with several memory-eating programs such as Cinema 4D, After Effects, etc.Xerxezz

It costed me about 1700 Euros. I did, however, add an additional 16GB of RAM because it had room for that (the default setup was 16GB of RAM) and because a friend told me RAM is always welcome, especially in the editing business. By the way, isn't a 3770K good for gaming?

I have heard the 3770k will be able to get you 5-10 more fps, but it really is better for editing, and just generally the more powerful chip so yh it is better, hence the bigger price tag.
#12 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23864 posts) -
3770k is the best cpu you can get that isn't a 3960x or a xeon
#13 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (1106 posts) -

32 gig ram

HUHEUAHEUHAEHEUAHUEAHEUAHUEHAUHE

#14 Posted by Amster_G (4290 posts) -

Seriously drop that RAM. Even for demanding programs you can get away with 8GB... or even 16GB if you absolutely must.

Yes, I know I have an unnecessary amount of memory myself as I only play games and do a little bit of HD editing but it was cheap!!!

#15 Posted by Xerxezz (6 posts) -

Seriously drop that RAM. Even for demanding programs you can get away with 8GB... or even 16GB if you absolutely must.

Yes, I know I have an unnecessary amount of memory myself as I only play games and do a little bit of HD editing but it was cheap!!!

Amster_G
What's wrong with having a lot of spare RAM? It wouldn't hurt your computer, amarite? I already bought it so it'd be silly not to use it, lol.
#16 Posted by way2funny (4570 posts) -

[QUOTE="Amster_G"]

Xerxezz

What's wrong with having a lot of spare RAM? It wouldn't hurt your computer, amarite? I already bought it so it'd be silly not to use it, lol.

You picked up a nice cpu and you have plenty of ram, nothing wrong with that.

#17 Posted by C_Rule (9812 posts) -
Well, you could always make a massive RAM disk.
#18 Posted by pickettsticket (193 posts) -

[QUOTE="Amster_G"]

Xerxezz

Yh, no idea why there so much hate for 32gb of ram, especially when you already have it (you would be damn crazy to not use it if you have it)

It will last you thats for sure so don't worry about the negatives the ram seems to be getting

#20 Posted by MonsieurX (31695 posts) -

I don't like the video card selection the op made cuz it does not have physX. I would have went with Nvidia based cards. You can play games the way they were meant to be played with Nvidia.

DeViLzzz
PhysiX is a gimmick and rarely worth the extra power needed.
#21 Posted by Fizzman (9884 posts) -

Not a fan of a PSU that low. Should have went with atleast 750.

#22 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (1106 posts) -

[QUOTE="DeViLzzz"]

I don't like the video card selection the op made cuz it does not have physX. I would have went with Nvidia based cards. You can play games the way they were meant to be played with Nvidia.

MonsieurX

>cant detect sarcasm

>HURRR DURRRR

#23 Posted by kraken2109 (13237 posts) -

DeViLzzz
Can't tell if trolling
#24 Posted by MonsieurX (31695 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="DeViLzzz"]

ClassicRockFTW

>cant detect sarcasm

>HURRR DURRRR

Don't see how this was sarcasm. Reported anyway
#25 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (1106 posts) -

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"] PhysiX is a gimmick and rarely worth the extra power needed.MonsieurX

>cant detect sarcasm

>HURRR DURRRR

>reporting for no reason

>:lol:

>still cant detect blatant sarcasm despite the fact he spells out the who nvidia slogan

>still mentallly deficient

#26 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23864 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

>cant detect sarcasm

>HURRR DURRRR

ClassicRockFTW

>reporting for no reason

>still cant detect blatant sarcasm despite the fact he spells out the who nvidia slogan

nah ur posts in OT all worthy of being reported to mainly for being tryhard
#27 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (1106 posts) -

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"] Don't see how this was sarcasm. Reported anywayJigglyWiggly_

>reporting for no reason

>LOL

>Cry sum moar

>"tryhard":lol:

#28 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12895 posts) -

Not a fan of a PSU that low. Should have went with atleast 750.

Fizzman
Components are getting more and more power efficient, that PC wont go anywhere near 600W at full load.
#29 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23864 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

>reporting for no reason

ClassicRockFTW

>LOL

>Cry sum moar

are you even trying

madcusbad confirmed

#30 Posted by kraken2109 (13237 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

>reporting for no reason

ClassicRockFTW

>LOL

>Cry sum moar

#31 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (1106 posts) -

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] nah ur posts in OT all worthy of being reported to mainly for being tryhardkraken2109

>LOL

>Cry sum moar

>I aint even butthurt

#32 Posted by kraken2109 (13237 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

>LOL

>Cry sum moar

ClassicRockFTW

>I aint even butthurt

>this isn't 4chin
#33 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (1106 posts) -

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]  kraken2109

>I aint even butthurt

>this isn't 4chin

>ORLY? I really thought it was...

#34 Posted by Horgen (111188 posts) -
Which version of windows 7(I assume) are you running? The 3770K and 3570K performs about the same in games. However for editing the 3770K is far better than the 3570K.
#35 Posted by Xerxezz (6 posts) -
[QUOTE="horgen123"]Which version of windows 7(I assume) are you running? The 3770K and 3570K performs about the same in games. However for editing the 3770K is far better than the 3570K.

Yes, it came with Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.