Did i make a mistake? (360 HDMI)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=130306110150

^^i just bought that item mainly for a new battery pack and HDMI

but i didn't know about only the newer consoles having HDMI ports, i have a launch 360, so of course i don't have an HDMI port

so am i basically screwed?

If so, should i just try to get a refund?

Also, if i can't get a refund, should i just be able to use that HDMI cable for my AT&T U-Verse receiver if it has an HDMI port on the back?

Avatar image for Love_Hina_Lover
Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Love_Hina_Lover
Member since 2002 • 4381 Posts

Well the intercooler, optical cable, battery pack and charge cable are all ood for you. Unfortunaly your 360 does not have hdmi so the hdmi and hdmi audio adoptor are useless to you

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CDUB316

Well the intercooler, optical cable, battery pack and charge cable are all ood for you. Unfortunaly your 360 does not have hdmi so the hdmi and hdmi audio adoptor are useless to you

Love_Hina_Lover

damn, that sucks, i wanted to free up some space on the back of my tv so i didn't have to sweet the component cables back and forth...ahh

and i didn't really want the intercooler because it's bad for the 360 and makes them overheat faster (does the opposite of what it's supposed to and can catch you 360 on fire) i already have a charge cord, but the only thing of value to me would be that battery pack because mine won't hold but 2 mins of charge anymore

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
You should be able to use the HDMI cable with another device if you wanted.
CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CDUB316

You should be able to use the HDMI cable with another device if you wanted.Bane_v2

thanks, yea just kind of disappointed, i had no idea that only the newer versions come with HDMI ports

joe11king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 joe11king
Member since 2005 • 879 Posts

If your TV supports it, you could always get the Microsoft VGA adapter for the 360. It works with all Xbox's and will give you a lot better quality than component.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts

If your TV supports it, you could always get the Microsoft VGA adapter for the 360. It works with all Xbox's and will give you a lot better quality than component.

joe11king
It depends on the tv really. Both are analog, but component will give him alot more options for tweaking the clarity and color of the image...
CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CDUB316

joe11king

how much would that be?

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts
[QUOTE="CDUB316"]

[QUOTE="joe11king"]

how much would that be?

10-15 dollars, it wouldnt be much difference in terms of quality but the wire creates less clutter behind your tv.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

I bought a HDMI adapter for my 360. I had a launch 360 as well and thought i was screwed, but i wasnt here is a pic. Sry for the messy room. Its from madcatz (i know i know, but oh well).

joe11king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 joe11king

[QUOTE="CDUB316"]

[QUOTE="joe11king"]

TerroRizing

how much would that be?

10-15 dollars, it wouldnt be much difference in terms of quality but the wire creates less clutter behind your tv.

no no no... maybe double that. ONLY buy Microsoft brand cables/accessories for your 360. I had a generic VGA adapter for my 360 and compared to the Microsoft one it looked like crap.

Microsoft VGA HD/AV Cable for Xbox 360

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CDUB316

[QUOTE="TerroRizing"][QUOTE="CDUB316"]

how much would that be?

joe11king

no no no... maybe double that. ONLY buy Microsoft brand cables/accessories for your 360. I had a generic VGA adapter for my 360 and compared to the Microsoft one it looked like crap.

OH, that's a VGA thing, i totally forgot that i have one of those...i got it for my monitor, but i didn't end up using it because i got my samsung tv

i'll go ahead and try that

so do the audio cables (red and white) go in the audio out ports or the DVI ports?

how much more clarity will i get compared to component?

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CDUB316

I bought a HDMI adapter for my 360. I had a launch 360 as well and thought i was screwed, but i wasnt here is a pic. Sry for the messy room. Its from madcatz (i know i know, but oh well).

painguy1

yea i know, i saw that...but they are like $70+ on ebay and everywhere else online...i could just sell my 360 and buy a used one with an HDMI port for that much, lol

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

oh lol. ok then

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CDUB316

[QUOTE="joe11king"]

[QUOTE="TerroRizing"] 10-15 dollars, it wouldnt be much difference in terms of quality but the wire creates less clutter behind your tv.CDUB316

OH, that's a VGA thing, i totally forgot that i have one of those...i got it for my monitor, but i didn't end up using it because i got my samsung tv

i'll go ahead and try that

so do the audio cables (red and white) go in the audio out ports or the DVI ports?

how much more clarity will i get compared to component?

so i tried it and it's not working, it's saying that the mode is not supported or something on my tv...the input is set on PC

the VGA cable fits fine, but why isn't it working...does it mean anything that it says "pc" and nothing else...does that port only work with PC's?

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CDUB316

so yea, kept trying

it just keeps saying mode not supported and there is no way i can change anything that i know of...am i supposed to change something to make it work?

damn, this sucks, lol...can't to HDMI and now can't do VGA...looks like i'm stuck with component and i'll have to keep switching cord after cords, bleh, i hate cords

joe11king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 joe11king

so yea, kept trying

it just keeps saying mode not supported and there is no way i can change anything that i know of...am i supposed to change something to make it work?

damn, this sucks, lol...can't to HDMI and now can't do VGA...looks like i'm stuck with component and i'll have to keep switching cord after cords, bleh, i hate cords

CDUB316

you need to set your 360 to a resolution that's supported by your TV. To do this, you'll need to change the display settings of your 360 while using the VGA cable.

Try booting up your 360, pressing up on the d-pad once, tap your right bumper a few times, hit the A button three times, press up on the D-pad a few more times, and hit the A button. If memory serves me right, doing so will set the resolution of the 360 down enough so your TV will display it. You can then select your actual resolution.

Hope this helps! Come back and tell me if it works :)

EDIT: Oh and the audio must go in your "computer-in" port. This will either be 2 RCA or a standard 7.5mm headphone jack and reside somewhere near your VGA-in port. You should have gotten an adapter with your VGA cable that changes the 2 RCA plugs to a dual-channel 7.5mm headphone jack, so use whichever one your TV supports.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CDUB316

[QUOTE="CDUB316"]

so yea, kept trying

joe11king

you need to set your 360 to a resolution that's supported by your TV. To do this, you'll need to change the display settings of your 360 while using the VGA cable.

Try booting up your 360, pressing up on the d-pad once, tap your right bumper a few times, hit the A button three times, press up on the D-pad a few more times, and hit the A button. If memory serves me right, doing so will set the resolution of the 360 down enough so your TV will display it. You can then select your actual resolution.

EDIT: Oh and the audio must go in your "computer-in" port. This will either be 2 RCA or a standard 7.5mm headphone jack and reside somewhere near your VGA-in port. You should have gotten an adapter with your VGA cable that changes the 2 RCA plugs to a dual-channel 7.5mm headphone jack, so use whichever one your TV supports.

i'm not getting it to work, i did what you said and idk what i'm clicking at all

i figured out how to change the resolution on my tv, but the option is blacked out for some reason, i don't understand

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CDUB316

If you wanna see how the back of my tv is setup...go here

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/guides/howToVideoTypeList.do?type_ia_cd=02010000&type=televisions

^^^click on the last video at the bottom (how to guide 2008 samsung tv's)

that isn't my exact setup, but the back is identical (not the size of the tv or the composite on the side, i don't have that)

so yea, basically the blue port (PC) is where i'm putting the big piece in...is that right?

joe11king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 joe11king

[QUOTE="joe11king"]

[QUOTE="CDUB316"]

so yea, kept trying

CDUB316

i'm not getting it to work, i did what you said and idk what i'm clicking at all

i figured out how to change the resolution on my tv, but the option is blacked out for some reason, i don't understand

sorry my mistake.... it's not 3 times you have to hit the A button at the last part, It's 4. I just checked it. You may not be able to see what you're doing, but that's EXACTLY the button sequence you have to press to lower your resolution.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CDUB316

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9301604&type=product&id=1218080215881

^^also, go there and look at more images and click back

again...not the exact layout of my tv, but has all the same stuff on the back as this one

joe11king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 joe11king

so yea, basically the blue port (PC) is where i'm putting the big piece in...is that right?

CDUB316

Yes. Put your VGA plug into the blue trapezoid shape, and use your headphone jack adapter to plug in your audio. The plugs you should be looking at are in the "PC-in" box, right next to each other.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CDUB316

i'm still not getting it

i got it once and it said it changing the settings, but after awhile the mode not supported came up again

can't believe there's not an easier way to do this...it works fine for my monitor though

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CDUB316

if only i could find a cheap HDMI converter...why are they so expensive