Did I just ruined a perfectly good plasma TV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Adamantium4k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Adamantium4k2
Member since 2009 • 896 Posts

I bought a 50' plasma HDTV to watch the Super Bowl game. I watched the game for about two and a half hours, and turned the TV off. That same day I turned the TV back on and noticed some 'ghosting' of the NFL logo and score board. You can only see it when the TV powers on, then it fades out. Is this normal for just 2 hours of viewing to already get image burn in.

I keep my settings on 'movie mode' which makes the picture dark.

albi321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 albi321
Member since 2007 • 1552 Posts
No return that thing. Newer plasma televisions shouldnt burn in like that after only 2 hours.
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

there is a break-in-period for brand new plasmas

What is the "break-in" period and what should I do during the break-in period to minimize any risk of image retention?
When your plasma TV is initially installed, the first 100 hours of use is known as the "break-in period." During this time, to minimize any risk of image retention, you should:

Make sure the plasma TV is in a viewing mode (aspect ratio) that completely fills the screen. The panel is shipped in this condition, in what is called the "Just" mode.
Turn down the Picture setting (in the Picture menu) to +0.
Briefly engage the 4:3 mode and confirm the side bars are set to "Mid", or "Bright". This can be adjusted in the Set Up menu.
Always return the display mode that fills the screen (such as Just, Zoom, Full, or H-FILL).
Try not to view channels with stationary backgrounds or logos for extended periods of time.
Avoid extended display of static images (video games, computer images, DVD title screens, etc.). "

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
2 hours? Almost certainly image retention. It should go away.
TropicalGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TropicalGuy
Member since 2004 • 394 Posts

Same thing happened to me playing twilight princess. Don't sweat it. Hidden inside your tv's menu should be a static option (don't know its name, but it does that, satic) that's there exactly to remove ghosting. I ran it for like 3 mins and then everything was fine.

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 rastan
Member since 2003 • 1405 Posts
Yeah run the menu option. What kind of TV?
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

Newer plasmas will still have image retention if you dont give the phosphorus a break in period. Take note that i said "retention" and not "burn in". The two should not be confused with one another. Retention will go away with general usage eventually.

BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BeavermanA
Member since 2003 • 2652 Posts
Run the scrolling screen protection from the menu. It should go away within minutes if not seconds. Do follow the break in advice posted though. After that you can watch things like 2.35:1 movies that have the black bars on top and bottom without issue. You may see a small image retention line where the bars ended, but run the scrolling thing again and it will disappear almost instantly.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

this is why its more wise to get an lcd or led tv which will be succeeded by a laser tv in 10 years(laser tvs will last as long as CRT tvs and look better than anything out today. prototypes are being developed today)

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

this is why its more wise to get an lcd or led tv which will be succeeded by a laser tv in 10 years(laser tvs will last as long as CRT tvs and look better than anything out today. prototypes are being developed today)

bigM10231

LCD stsinks its laggy and does bad colours

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Laser tvs? I think holograms are next after OLED becomes the norm. I think the term "tv" may even be on the way out.

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rastan
The next big thing will be OLED. The benefits of plasmas with the benefits of lcd and then some. We are still a ways off though until it becomes affordable in larger sizes.
BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BeavermanA

[QUOTE="bigM10231"]

dontshackzmii

LCD stsinks its laggy and does bad colours

I have one of the newer 240hz backlit LED lcd screens.My plasma is much better for watching tv or movies. And the plasma cost a few hundred less. Maybe you can get a lcd that can compare to a plasma, but it would probably have to be 2x the price or more.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Sigh. There is nothing wrong with your plasma tv.

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rastan
All LCD's are just trying to meet the performance of the best plasmas. Localized LED dimming helps LCD get closer to plasma, but as you mentioned, usually at a much higher price.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bigM10231

if lcd screens are more expensive, then why is it the cheapest at sams club?(toshiba by the way)

BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BeavermanA
What are the specs? Refresh rate, contrast ratio, size, resolution... Your standard lcd will be dirt cheap, but look terrible compared to a better panel. The entry level for plasmas is probably more simply because they start at 42" for 1080p I believe. If they had 1080p+ 24-30" plasmas I'd be all over them.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bigM10231

What are the specs? Refresh rate, contrast ratio, size, resolution... Your standard lcd will be dirt cheap, but look terrible compared to a better panel. The entry level for plasmas is probably more simply because they start at 42" for 1080p I believe. If they had 1080p+ 24-30" plasmas I'd be all over them. BeavermanA
thishttp://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/toshiba-26av52u/4507-6482_7-33570793.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

and it can do 1080i

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rastan
There is no point to 1080i in a 720p fixed pixel panel. I've seen that tv and it's ok for a kitchen tv, but nothing special. It has very visible lag and a noisy image.
BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BeavermanA

[QUOTE="BeavermanA"]What are the specs? Refresh rate, contrast ratio, size, resolution... Your standard lcd will be dirt cheap, but look terrible compared to a better panel. The entry level for plasmas is probably more simply because they start at 42" for 1080p I believe. If they had 1080p+ 24-30" plasmas I'd be all over them. bigM10231

thishttp://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/toshiba-26av52u/4507-6482_7-33570793.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

and it can do 1080i

See that's just a low end tv. Small size and 720p, if it can use 1080i or 1080p, it's just downsizing the res. That's fine if you want something small and cheap, but you can't compare that to any plasmas as I said they start at a much higher size.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts
All LCD's are just trying to meet the performance of the best plasmas. Localized LED dimming helps LCD get closer to plasma, but as you mentioned, usually at a much higher price.rastan
Yeah it actually cost me less to buy a PRO-111FD than it would have for the latest Samsung or Sony LCD/LED.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

not to ruin the tc thread. but i thought i would share mystory from this weekend. i ordered my friend a 60` LG plasma and it came in on saturday. so i went over to helphim mount it. first of all the thing was huge!!!. the box it came in was as long as his pool table lol. well it was kinda strange looking. because it has a giant sheet of glass as the screen i guess? it stuck out over the edges of the tv and a little less then a half inch on all sides. we never really gave it a second thought. so we lefted out of the box. as we lefted it my friend said the glass is cracking!!! i said no its just the plastic covering under it. so he removed it and i heard it cracking my self. it came already on a stand which was very flimsy. we took it off the stand and carried it about 10 feet to the wall where he wanted it mounted. by this time the 150 plus pounds the tv was felt like 500 lbs to me!!! as i tried to get one leg on the chair that we had to use to reach the mount my arms were going dead on me. i said you gotta wait and set it down i cant left it any higher then my chest. so i start to go down to one kneetrying not to set it down on its bottom because of the glass sticking out. the thing was crushing me and when my friend tried to st his side down he didnt angle it so it would be set on the back panel of the tv. the glass cracked accross the the bottom then started to run up the left side of the screen!!. mea meanwhile the only thing hold my side up was my big toe that was under the tv so the botton wasnt touch the ground. i felt really bad that his new tv cracked.even though he is the one that set it on the ground wrong. it was my fault that we had to sit it down.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bigM10231

not to ruin the tc thread. but i thought i would share mystory from this weekend. i ordered my friend a 60` LG plasma and it came in on saturday. so i went over to helphim mount it. first of all the thing was huge!!!. the box it came in was as long as his pool table lol. well it was kinda strange looking. because it has a giant sheet of glass as the screen i guess? it stuck out over the edges of the tv and a little less then a half inch on all sides. we never really gave it a second thought. so we lefted out of the box. as we lefted it my friend said the glass is cracking!!! i said no its just the plastic covering under it. so he removed it and i heard it cracking my self. it came already on a stand which was very flimsy. we took it off the stand and carried it about 10 feet to the wall where he wanted it mounted. by this time the 150 plus pounds the tv was felt like 500 lbs to me!!! as i tried to get one leg on the chair that we had to use to reach the mount my arms were going dead on me. i said you gotta wait and set it down i cant left it any higher then my chest. so i start to go down to one kneetrying not to set it down on its bottom because of the glass sticking out. the thing was crushing me and when my friend tried to st his side down he didnt angle it so it would be set on the back panel of the tv. the glass cracked accross the the bottom then started to run up the left side of the screen!!. mea meanwhile the only thing hold my side up was my big toe that was under the tv so the botton wasnt touch the ground. i felt really bad that his new tv cracked.even though he is the one that set it on the ground wrong. it was my fault that we had to sit it down.

monson21502
thats messed up. my 200lb EDTV doesnt do that and my LCD tv doesnt have glass
rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rastan
Sounds like the TV was set on its back and lifted awkwardly. May also be a design issue with the LG using the glass across the entire facade. It shouldn't crack so easy, as I have helped hang many 50" plasmas (never LG) on the wall and have never had any issue. We also never used chairs. Always used step stools.
BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BeavermanA
Sounds like it may have been damaged before you started lifting it. You get it delivered from a store or pick it up yourselves? Both my TV's I ordered off the internet and had free shipping, but the shipping company made sure to open the box and verify there was no physical damage with my LCD. My plasma came free shipping through Amazon with CEVA whiteglove. They came in, set everything up and powered on the tv to verify it was in flawless working order. Then you sign the paper. If he signed a paper stating it had no damage he may be screwed.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 monson21502

we cut the box open. there wasnt nothing at all wrong with the screen. but when we started to left it from the white foam protectors we heard it starting to crack. the tv looks like they just glued a gaint sheet of glass that was a little to big for the frame. only way to grab it without putting presure on the glass was grabbing the top back and putting the other hand on the bottom back. which made it harder to left. i told my friend the buyer reviews had people saying you should have two people to take it out of the box and 3 or 4 people to mount it. but he wouldnt listen to me. im not sure if that glass a part of the screen. i never seen a tv like that before. next time im over there i`ll try to take some pics of it. it has a really baddesign flaw imo

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rastan
There's definitely a design issue with the glass acting as the "frame" of the TV. My guess is that it's an additional piece of glass placed on top of the plasma glass panel which would definitely also add some extra heft. Unfortunately it seems you put some undue pressure on that glass frame holding it by the glass and then probably twisting it some what while you placed it.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 monson21502
There's definitely a design issue with the glass acting as the "frame" of the TV. My guess is that it's an additional piece of glass placed on top of the plasma glass panel which would definitely also add some extra heft. Unfortunately it seems you put some undue pressure on that glass frame holding it by the glass and then probably twisting it some what while you placed it.rastan
the glass was really thick. its crazy how easy it was cracking. i got it from newegg with free shipping. the thing is almost impossable to pick up without touching the glass in some way. we still mounted even after it cracked. its a big crack, but its hard to see when the tv is on. wonder if he has to send it back for repairs or if they will send someone to fix the glass?
rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rastan
I'd call them and tell them that it was already cracked in the box.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 monson21502
I'd call them and tell them that it was already cracked in the box.rastan
good idea. but will they buy it? it is now mounted on the wall. getting it offf the mount now is gonna be hell lol
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 monson21502
[QUOTE="rastan"]I'd call them and tell them that it was already cracked in the box.monson21502
good idea. but will they buy it? it is now mounted on the wall. getting it offf the mount now is gonna be hell lol

problem is, tv didnt get to his house till tuesday. but when didnt unbox it till saturday night.
NiHM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NiHM
Member since 2002 • 194 Posts

Not to sound rude or anthing, but you don't sound like either one of you have any business handling that TV. From your follow up posts you sound like you were aware that just the two of you weren't up to the task. According to the product page on Newegg, that tv barely weighs more than 100 lbs when you take the stand off it. Convince your friend that you need some extra help before the two of you damage another tv. You have to be careful when handling a plasma. You cannot twist the display at all or you risk damaging it, and unfortunately, it sounds like that's what might have happened here. Having said that, I agree that the glass should not have cracked so easily if it was handled proplerly.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

No return that thing. Newer plasma televisions shouldnt burn in like that after only 2 hours.albi321

That's not burn-in. In fact, it's extremely hard to burn in a new plasma nowadays.

The first 200 hours the tv will ghost nearly any definitive image, even if you're on the channel for only a minute or two. This is called ghosting or image retention. Not hard to get rid of.

1.) Some plasma's have a screen wipe or white screen ability, use it, it either wipes the screen with a white screen that gradually wipes to a black and back again. Or turns the screen all white. It helps get rid of image retention.

2.) Turn the channel to a non-hd channel and let it play for an hour or two. It'll wipe the image the same way as described above, instead using the tv channel itself.

3.) Put the input to tv tuner, and unplug the cable. The "snow" is another way of getting rid of image retention.

You'll find that as you break in your new plasma this happens. Heck, going to a DVD menu in the first few hours might leave an image. Don't panic, it's NOT BURN IN.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

bigM10231

Plasma's last as long as CRT's. The myths about plasma's only applied to the first couple years it was on the market. There is a great discussion and review of plasma's done by Cnet.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 monson21502

Not to sound rude or anthing, but you don't sound like either one of you have any business handling that TV. From your follow up posts you sound like you were aware that just the two of you weren't up to the task. According to the product page on Newegg, that tv barely weighs more than 100 lbs when you take the stand off it. Convince your friend that you need some extra help before the two of you damage another tv. You have to be careful when handling a plasma. You cannot twist the display at all or you risk damaging it, and unfortunately, it sounds like that's what might have happened here. Having said that, I agree that the glass should not have cracked so easily if it was handled proplerly.

NiHM
that must be wrong. because we took his other plasma off the wall 42` 95 lbs. and it wasnt even close to as heavy as the 60`. maybe they ment that sheet of glass is 100 lbs? its at least close to a inch thick and it covers the whole tv and a couple centimeters over the whole base of the tv. you are right though we shoulda had more help. but once we realized we might not be able to get it up all the way up on the mount. thats when we got in trouble. there was nothing we could do. accept what i did and bascly let the tv smash me so it would put presure on the class. my friend i guess was as nimble as me so he had to set it down the best he could.
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

in english we write the word "lift" to describe the picking up of an object, its not spelt like the direction "left" as u did so many times during your story.

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rastan
Live and learn.... I believe the 60" version ~130lbs.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 monson21502

in english we write the word "lift" to describe the picking up of an object, its not spelt like the direction "left" as u did so many times during your story.

kungfool69
oh i did, didnt i :lol: