Desk Top res vs in game res performance?.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Hi. Me again sorry :P. Any way. Today I decided to lower my desktop resolution from normal 1080p down to 1366x768 just for while im gaming to get that bit extra power to my games. I set my game resolution to 1080p as normal. I noticed a lot of difference from no shimmering and no shadow texture problems. I do still get the odd pop up graphic in distance in Far Cry 3 which I have almost finished ready to play Far Cry 4. As said in other topics I have just bought a 970 gtx and still get that bit slow down and I am trying to eliminate things. So what does the desk top use CPU or graphic card to power the desk top. Even turning aero off doesn't help in games apart from lowering the resolution in NVidia control panel. So what does the desktop mainly use as it CPU or desk top. I am leaning towards it uses CPU more then the graphics by the looks of things.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Lowering your desktop resolution isn't going to do anything. Your PC isn't using significant resources to power the desktop. Aero (which isn't in Windows 8.1) turns off automatically if a game needs those resources.

If you want your computer to be as zippy as possible given what you have, you'd probably want to experiment with overclocking. Minimize the amount of background programs you have running and make sure your PC is malware free.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#3  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

only lowering the game's output resolution would gain you any performance but you will see huge quality drops also.

turn all NVC's settings down to maximum performance options. turn off all the ingame effects you can live without. turn off AA settings ingame. turn shadow settings down to lowest.

about the only way to get much of a boost unless you're having hardware issues. best option is to just start upgrading.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@skipper847 said:

Hi. Me again sorry :P. Any way. Today I decided to lower my desktop resolution from normal 1080p down to 1366x768 just for while im gaming to get that bit extra power to my games. I set my game resolution to 1080p as normal. I noticed a lot of difference from no shimmering and no shadow texture problems. I do still get the odd pop up graphic in distance in Far Cry 3 which I have almost finished ready to play Far Cry 4. As said in other topics I have just bought a 970 gtx and still get that bit slow down and I am trying to eliminate things. So what does the desk top use CPU or graphic card to power the desk top. Even turning aero off doesn't help in games apart from lowering the resolution in NVidia control panel. So what does the desktop mainly use as it CPU or desk top. I am leaning towards it uses CPU more then the graphics by the looks of things.

What's your CPU?

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I used to do this back in the day when every resourse mattered. When you'd manually clear RAM and assign IRQ's yourself. Nowadays we have POWA!!!

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

Is your CPU max'd out while playing games? Its interesting if this would help free up cpu by doing this.

I have a 4 core i7 4700k@4.5ghz and i've never seen any game use more then 50% of my cpu resources so im not sure if this trick would do anything for me... but i'm going to keep it in mind and test it out sometime if i hit a problem game.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 skipper847

Hi. Sorry for not getting back but had to take PC in again as the other morning it wouldn't boot. But he fixed it and the slow boot of 1min 24 seconds was due to old bios and he updated that and boots fine again. No more blue screen 116 and played for cry 3 for 3 hours last night and completed the last bit of it. :D. I was getting blue screen 116 code in all games until I changed cards. How ever I am still getting slow down but I think now its due to TV as its only 60 htz with Vsync on due to that been off i get bad tearing. Just tested Far Cry 3, I no its quite old but still good and was only using 30% CPU. Couldn't believe it he didn't want any money 2nd time taking it back to him as he said its in warranty from 1st time. I was prepared to pay as its only a person like you or me I took it to but he was recommended by a shop where I was going to take it but they stopped repairing so they advised me to go to him at his house. I gave him my old graphic card though as a thank you and said if you can fix it or sell it on do so as he said him self put the 670 on ebay and say its broken as you would still get around £90 but couldn't be bothered with the hassle in case i didn't mention anything what was wrong with it and i would have nothing but comes backs. so gave it to him instead.

Just spent £340 on my Pc all together but my next thing is a monitor. Prefer 27" 144hz. I have this Asis VG278HE in mind and cost £300 but a couple of people say its got bad light bleed from the side so still looking.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@skipper847 said:

Hi. Sorry for not getting back but had to take PC in again as the other morning it wouldn't boot. But he fixed it and the slow boot of 1min 24 seconds was due to old bios and he updated that and boots fine again. No more blue screen 116 and played for cry 3 for 3 hours last night and completed the last bit of it. :D. I was getting blue screen 116 code in all games until I changed cards. How ever I am still getting slow down but I think now its due to TV as its only 60 htz with Vsync on due to that been off i get bad tearing. Just tested Far Cry 3, I no its quite old but still good and was only using 30% CPU. Couldn't believe it he didn't want any money 2nd time taking it back to him as he said its in warranty from 1st time. I was prepared to pay as its only a person like you or me I took it to but he was recommended by a shop where I was going to take it but they stopped repairing so they advised me to go to him at his house. I gave him my old graphic card though as a thank you and said if you can fix it or sell it on do so as he said him self put the 670 on ebay and say its broken as you would still get around £90 but couldn't be bothered with the hassle in case i didn't mention anything what was wrong with it and i would have nothing but comes backs. so gave it to him instead.

Just spent £340 on my Pc all together but my next thing is a monitor. Prefer 27" 144hz. I have this Asis VG278HE in mind and cost £300 but a couple of people say its got bad light bleed from the side so still looking.

Dude seriously? you're turning resolution down but you think to buy a 27' 144Hz monitor?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

I used to do this back in the day when every resourse mattered. When you'd manually clear RAM and assign IRQ's yourself. Nowadays we have POWA!!!

God I remember those days.... Rambooster 1.0 then 2.0 o boy! Then I just started buying more ram

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 skipper847

Well I no for sure something is holding me back. Even he said wack everything on full and don't use recommended settings in games your pc is good enough even for latest games now. I no AC black flag not well optimized but I cant even have 2x msaa on I have to have FXX at best I have razor cortex installed and it shows as soon as I have 2x msaa it goes to 30 FPS something is really wrong with this junk of a PC.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@04dcarraher said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

God I remember those days.... Rambooster 1.0 then 2.0 o boy! Then I just started buying more ram

Why the only thing that I remember is memmaker? :P

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By skipper847

Hi. I just did a CPU test with intel Processor diagnostic tool and it passed the test so looks like no problems there. It says processor information. Intel64 family 6 model 58 stepping 9. Is this good?.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By skipper847

Think my PC is just total crap. Windows update not working and keeps saying needs to be checked. Now my xbox one controller will not work and saying runtime error. Worked be for. Even though I just spent over £300 on it I think I will stick with consoles or find a new hobby. PC and consoles are doing my head in at the moment. Think it mainly my PC and just stick to browsing the net. At least I completed Far cry 3 last night for 1st time. That annoyed that I just chucked my mouse across the room in anger. Surprised it dint brake or anything else broke.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

I remember shutting down the Windows XP explorer.exe in task manager when I launched a game..

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@skipper847 said:

Think my PC is just total crap. Windows update not working and keeps saying needs to be checked. Now my xbox one controller will not work and saying runtime error. Worked be for. Even though I just spent over £300 on it I think I will stick with consoles or find a new hobby. PC and consoles are doing my head in at the moment. Think it mainly my PC and just stick to browsing the net. At least I completed Far cry 3 last night for 1st time. That annoyed that I just chucked my mouse across the room in anger. Surprised it dint brake or anything else broke.

Well the Alienware Alpha I3 version is selling for low $400's on Amazon right now... Everything I have read has shown that it has surprisingly great performance for such a form factor and price.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skipper847

Fixed it. Formatted the bleeding thing and put windows 8 pro on which I had the disk for. Just installed drivers now installing updates. Then I will test my games. It started with that error when I used razor cortex after that my pc went slow. So never putting that on again.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

If you're gonna turn the res down then don't even think about buying a 144hz monitor, you'll be wasting money.
You can gain more performance out of a game if you turn the res down in games (not desktop).

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By skipper847

Well after 7 hours of formatting and putting windows 8 pro and updates then 8.1 pro and updates on then installing ac4 black flag. All I can so is WOW. It as it should have been. Also on gpu tweak my GPU power goes up to 87% is this normal?.