Deciding on a new GPU

#1 Posted by heatfanman101 (2877 posts) -

Hi all, I'm thinking about upgrading my GPU before the end of the summer and am looking for some options that offer good price to performance ratio. Currently have an HD 6990 with an intel i5 2500k, it still runs pretty nice, but it's been a little over 3 years so it might be time for an upgrade. I was looking around newegg and bestbuy and saw some promising stuff... Zotac GTX 780 for $449.99, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB for $399.99, and a Gigabyte GTX 770 2BG for $319.19. I'm particularly interested in an nvidia card this time around, especially with their watch dogs promo. Any suggestions or input will be highly appreciated, thanks.

(also, sorry if this is the wrong place for this, been a while since I've posted and it seems like there is no longer a forum for PC hardware)

#2 Posted by Coseniath (1685 posts) -

Hello :)

If you care about Watchdogs Performance, having a GTX780 is better option although your link for GTX780 leads to a $499 price.

The 2GB GTX770 is nice too for only $319. So either go for the GTX780 if you got the $$ or stick with the 2GB GTX770. The 4GB 770 will be useful to you only if you are going to SLI, or in some special cases.

99% of the situations the GTX770 will struggle to deliver performance long before it will run out of VRAM.

So the real question goes to you. How much money do you want to spend. $300 or $500?

#3 Edited by EducatingU_PCMR (1177 posts) -

2GB won't be future proof.

Supposedly WD is even struggling on 3GB 780s. So I'd get a 6GB 780/Ti, but they're ridiculously overpriced because Ngreedia

#4 Posted by heatfanman101 (2877 posts) -

@Coseniath said:

Hello :)

If you care about Watchdogs Performance, having a GTX780 is better option although your link for GTX780 leads to a $499 price.

The 2GB GTX770 is nice too for only $319. So either go for the GTX780 if you got the $$ or stick with the 2GB GTX770. The 4GB 770 will be useful to you only if you are going to SLI, or in some special cases.

99% of the situations the GTX770 will struggle to deliver performance long before it will run out of VRAM.

So the real question goes to you. How much money do you want to spend. $300 or $500?

I'm looking to spend as little as possible, but I also want the card to last and for my next upgrade to come a few years after. The GTX 780 drops to $450 once you add it to your cart, which seems like a really good price to grab it for, but I don't really know a lot about Zotec in comparison to other gpu manufacturers. After dealing with a 2 gpu set up for a while, I'm probably not going to be looking into SLI for a while, especially since I have weak-ish cpu (800w, also kind of shoddy quality) and cramped mobo. I am slightly concerned about having only 2 GB of VRAM but if I am saving a lot on the card itself it could be worth the slight downgrade in VRAM.

#5 Edited by Coseniath (1685 posts) -

Hello again.

I would post some benchmarks to see for yourself

From Techspot:

From Guru3D: -------------------------------->

#6 Posted by Speak_Low (1281 posts) -

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

2GB won't be future proof.

Supposedly WD is even struggling on 3GB 780s. So I'd get a 6GB 780/Ti, but they're ridiculously overpriced because Ngreedia

Are the 6GB 780ti cards even out yet? I haven't paid much attention but I'm only seeing links to lots of 3GB cards

#7 Edited by heatfanman101 (2877 posts) -

@Coseniath said:

Hello again.

I would post some benchmarks to see for yourself

From Techspot:

From Guru3D: -------------------------------->

Oh, thanks a bunch for these. Pretty interesting to see the GTX 780 so close to the Titan. I feel like $450 might be a great deal for that card, but having heard very little about Zotec I'm a little wary. Are Zotec as solid as other card manufacturers?

#8 Posted by Coseniath (1685 posts) -

@speak_low said:

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

2GB won't be future proof.

Supposedly WD is even struggling on 3GB 780s. So I'd get a 6GB 780/Ti, but they're ridiculously overpriced because Ngreedia

Are the 6GB 780ti cards even out yet? I haven't paid much attention but I'm only seeing links to lots of 3GB cards

Yeah they called Titan Black :P

ASUS GTXTITANBLACK-6GD5 $1,099.99

#9 Posted by Speak_Low (1281 posts) -

@Coseniath said:

@speak_low said:

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

2GB won't be future proof.

Supposedly WD is even struggling on 3GB 780s. So I'd get a 6GB 780/Ti, but they're ridiculously overpriced because Ngreedia

Are the 6GB 780ti cards even out yet? I haven't paid much attention but I'm only seeing links to lots of 3GB cards

Yeah they called Titan Black :P

ASUS GTXTITANBLACK-6GD5 $1,099.99


Not a bad price. I'll take two! (I wish)

:(

#10 Edited by Coseniath (1685 posts) -

@heatfanman101 said:

@Coseniath said:

Hello again.

I would post some benchmarks to see for yourself

From Techspot:

From Guru3D: -------------------------------->

Oh, thanks a bunch for these. Pretty interesting to see the GTX 780 so close to the Titan. I feel like $450 might be a great deal for that card, but having heard very little about Zotec I'm a little wary. Are Zotec as solid as other card manufacturers?

The cooler seems nice both at keeping the GPU cool while being silent. I don't know about the quality of Zotac, but I never heard anything bad either...

#11 Edited by PredatorRules (9012 posts) -

@heatfanman101 said:

@Coseniath said:

Hello again.

I would post some benchmarks to see for yourself

From Techspot:

From Guru3D: -------------------------------->

Oh, thanks a bunch for these. Pretty interesting to see the GTX 780 so close to the Titan. I feel like $450 might be a great deal for that card, but having heard very little about Zotec I'm a little wary. Are Zotec as solid as other card manufacturers?

No, go with EVGA, MSI, Asus and Gigabyte as brands.

#12 Posted by heatfanman101 (2877 posts) -

Found some good alternatives from reputable brands:

EVGA GTX 780 for $499.99 (after rebate)

ASUS GTX 780 for $519.99

Another EVGA GTX 780 for $509.99 (after rebate)

MSI GTX 780 for 479.99 (after rebate)

#13 Edited by Coseniath (1685 posts) -

@heatfanman101 said:

Found some good alternatives from reputable brands:

EVGA GTX 780 for $499.99 (after rebate)

ASUS GTX 780 for $519.99

Another EVGA GTX 780 for $509.99 (after rebate)

MSI GTX 780 for 479.99 (after rebate)

With that price MSI is the best offer.

#14 Posted by Hydrolex (1494 posts) -

If I were you, I'd wait for the 800 series

#15 Posted by PredatorRules (9012 posts) -

@heatfanman101 said:

Found some good alternatives from reputable brands:

EVGA GTX 780 for $499.99 (after rebate)

ASUS GTX 780 for $519.99

Another EVGA GTX 780 for $509.99 (after rebate)

MSI GTX 780 for 479.99 (after rebate)

I'd go with EVGA, the FTW version is slightly more OC than the Superclocked version.

#16 Posted by Hydrolex (1494 posts) -

3GB Vram might be a problem in the future, as you can see, watch dog needs 3GB but people with 6gb said it used up to 3.5

#17 Posted by heatfanman101 (2877 posts) -

@Hydrolex said:

If I were you, I'd wait for the 800 series

Any idea on a release date? I heard they weren't coming until next year, but I could definitely be wrong about that.

#18 Edited by Coseniath (1685 posts) -

Actually I just looked at newegg and find one also great GTX780 that you didn't mention:

GIGABYTE GV-N780GHZ-3GD

Its the fastest GTX780 (1020Mhz core!!!) and its price is $519.

Here you can see the GPU reaching 780ti lvls of performance.

"For instance, the GHz Edition card was just as impressive providing nearly 20% more performance than a standard GTX 780 on average, which works out to about 5% slower than the standard GTX 780 Ti and 4% faster than the Radeon R9 290X. Despite those massive gains from factory, we extracted another 8% from each card by overclocking them further and what's most impressive is that we didn't have to adjust the WindForce 3X's coolers, which remained extremely quiet during loads -- a rarity on stock high-end cards."

A Crysis 3 example:

#19 Posted by insane_metalist (7016 posts) -

Go with GTX 780 GHz edition if you can't afford GTX 780 Ti.

#20 Edited by heatfanman101 (2877 posts) -

@Coseniath said:

Actually I just looked at newegg and find one also great GTX780 that you didn't mention:

GIGABYTE GV-N780GHZ-3GD

Its the fastest GTX780 (1020Mhz core!!!) and its price is $519.

Here you can see the GPU reaching 780ti lvls of performance.

"For instance, the GHz Edition card was just as impressive providing nearly 20% more performance than a standard GTX 780 on average, which works out to about 5% slower than the standard GTX 780 Ti and 4% faster than the Radeon R9 290X. Despite those massive gains from factory, we extracted another 8% from each card by overclocking them further and what's most impressive is that we didn't have to adjust the WindForce 3X's coolers, which remained extremely quiet during loads -- a rarity on stock high-end cards."

A Crysis 3 example:

Looks like a great deal, also found this guru3d article and it seems super impressive for that price.

#21 Posted by nyc05 (10186 posts) -

You're looking at some of the same GPUs I was looking at today. But then I found this: PNY GTX 770 4gb $309.99

I really wanted more than the 2gb VR nVidia tends to offer on their GPU, and I also wanted a bit more power than the 760, but I also didn't want to pony up for a 780. Especially since I will take a look at the 2015 GPU offerings, so this card seems to be really good value/performance for the price.

Check it out.

#22 Posted by heatfanman101 (2877 posts) -

@nyc05:

Oh wow, nearly $200 of that 770. Hmm, with that price I might consider doing the same thing. Now its really just a question of whether I want to pony up the extra $200 for the Gigabyte GTX 780 or go with the PNY GTX 770 and possibly save for a future upgrade (or other college/living related expenses). Will the extra 1 GB of VRAM make up for some of the performance loss also?

#23 Posted by nyc05 (10186 posts) -

@heatfanman101:

I'm not the go-to guy for the higher-end side of PC tech, that's for sure, but, as far as I know, the extra VRAM will help out if you want to go beyond 1080p, and/or in a game like Watch_Dogs where high VRAM is necessary if you want ultra textures and have some sort of AA.

I think the fact that the PNY is only $310 makes it so worthwhile because you'll get great performance now without breaking the bank, allowing yourself to game well today while saving for your next upgrade.

The 780 is the more powerful card, and I did consider it, but, as I really do have interest in checking out the next GPU line, it didn't seem worth it to drop $500 on a GPU now if that's the case. Should I decided against buying from the next GPU line, I'll still have a card that will perform well, especially because of that 4gb VRAM.

#24 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (1699 posts) -

pcpartpicker.com Use it to find the best deal on the card you want. I'd go for something like the EVGA 780 6gb

#25 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

I have a similar build and was about to ask a similar question... Don't mind me, I'll just creep here in the corner.

Don't know if I can swing $500 for a card though :(

#26 Posted by heatfanman101 (2877 posts) -

It seems the PNY GTX 770 was just a memorial day sale and it is now up to $390, which is still a pretty solid price, but for the little bit more it seems worth it to go with the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780. The PNY also seems to come with the previous promo, which is for Assassin's Creed. I'll probably look over some more options before tomorrow (also free to post any deals if you find any more deals if you stumble upon them) and if nothing else pops up I'll probably go with the Gigabyte GTX 780. Thanks for the all the input guys, seems like I have some really great options for my upgrade.

#27 Edited by Arthas045 (5575 posts) -

@heatfanman101 said:

It seems the PNY GTX 770 was just a memorial day sale and it is now up to $390, which is still a pretty solid price, but for the little bit more it seems worth it to go with the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780. The PNY also seems to come with the previous promo, which is for Assassin's Creed. I'll probably look over some more options before tomorrow (also free to post any deals if you find any more deals if you stumble upon them) and if nothing else pops up I'll probably go with the Gigabyte GTX 780. Thanks for the all the input guys, seems like I have some really great options for my upgrade.

Try pcpartpicker.com that will give you the best prices on retail sites. It does not work on things like ebay.

#28 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (1177 posts) -

@heatfanman101 said:

It seems the PNY GTX 770 was just a memorial day sale and it is now up to $390, which is still a pretty solid price, but for the little bit more it seems worth it to go with the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780. The PNY also seems to come with the previous promo, which is for Assassin's Creed. I'll probably look over some more options before tomorrow (also free to post any deals if you find any more deals if you stumble upon them) and if nothing else pops up I'll probably go with the Gigabyte GTX 780. Thanks for the all the input guys, seems like I have some really great options for my upgrade.

Overpriced as fuck.

770 = 280x

Better get a 290 for $400, and it comes with 4GB of VRAM.

#29 Posted by Horgen (111466 posts) -

@nyc05 said:

You're looking at some of the same GPUs I was looking at today. But then I found this: PNY GTX 770 4gb $309.99

I really wanted more than the 2gb VR nVidia tends to offer on their GPU, and I also wanted a bit more power than the 760, but I also didn't want to pony up for a 780. Especially since I will take a look at the 2015 GPU offerings, so this card seems to be really good value/performance for the price.

Check it out.

Well if you are willing to switch again in a year, yeah no need to drop 500$ on a card now.

#30 Edited by yngsten (290 posts) -

I can recommend the ASUS GTX 780 DCIIOC. My friend has the Gigabyte Windforce version mentioned above and is very happy also. Especially since he ordered a 770 and got 780 lol, I'd pick one of them. However if you aim to game over 1080p resolution, the 780ti might be a better idea in the longer run.

#31 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (4155 posts) -

I think people here are missing one key bit of information.

You currently have a HD 6990... a card that is on the same performance level as a GTX 680 which is a GTX 770.

There is no reason to upgrade right now... I would wait another generation of cards.

Wait till the 870 comes out or the 880.

Right now a GTX 780 would barely be a upgrade worth shouting about since your card is basically performing better than a GTX 680.

#32 Posted by Coseniath (1685 posts) -

Wait a min. I never really noticed that.

If you got the 6990, then you should really wait.

Although jumping from a dual gpu to a single gpu there will be a lot of benefits, at this time it will be only a side upgrade...

#33 Posted by heatfanman101 (2877 posts) -

@yngsten:

I doubt I could spend $700+ on a card right now, the $519.99 Gigabyte GTX 780 is already pushing it a little bit, but I can make enough room for that. I was looking at some more deals, I found a slightly cheaper 4gb GTX 770 from PNY (no watch dogs here, but if I'm getting a better deal on the card I can always get the game on sale later)and the Gibabyte Windforce GTX 770.

@Grey_Eyed_Elf:

Something I'm also considering, but by the time the next generation comes out my card will be over (or very close to) 4 years old and I'm not really sure if it will hold up or not by the time they release. If I do go with the Gigabyte GTX 780 Ghz Edition I'd probably try to wait out until the next generation of cards after the 800 series.

#34 Posted by Alienware_fan (1514 posts) -

Get something with atleast 4Gb of vram or dont get anything at all, maxwell and next gen cards will have 8Gb vram for a reason.

#35 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7653 posts) -

Gtx 770 = 680 which is last gen of cards. 780 was last year and still the "latest". You can always wait, 6990 is still beefy on its own no? I will say by all means avoid 770 4gb, you are paying extra vram that the card won't be able to utilize much in other words it only looks good on paper.

http://gpuscanner.com/#amd-r9-290

http://gpuscanner.com/#amd-r9-290x

^Something to consider if you are opened to used. Ofc. they are reference coolers mostly so you may need to buy an aftermarket one.

#36 Posted by heatfanman101 (2877 posts) -

The consensus seems to be to wait then, any ideas on how early next year the next series is coming? There aren't many big graphical releases this year, but there is the Witcher 3 coming early next year, so hopefully there will be something by then.

#37 Posted by Coseniath (1685 posts) -

There are a lot of rumors.

1st There is a rumor that since AMD has no plans for 20nm GPU this year, neither Nvidia will so we will see 28nm Maxwell.

2nd There is a rumor that Maxwell 20nm is coming late this year (Maybe November/December).

3rd And there is an other rumor saying that TSMC at the moment is doing 20nm for Nvidia, but we don't know when they will be released.

4th There is a rumor too for releaseing Maxwell next year, but this rumor is about 20nm Maxwell which means we will see 28nm GM204 this year....

So the only thing we can do is wait...

#38 Edited by Horgen (111466 posts) -

@Coseniath said:

There are a lot of rumors.

1st There is a rumor that since AMD has no plans for 20nm GPU this year, neither Nvidia will so we will see 28nm Maxwell.

2nd There is a rumor that Maxwell 20nm is coming late this year (Maybe November/December).

3rd And there is an other rumor saying that TSMC at the moment is doing 20nm for Nvidia, but we don't know when they will be released.

4th There is a rumor too for releaseing Maxwell next year, but this rumor is about 20nm Maxwell which means we will see 28nm GM204 this year....

So the only thing we can do is wait...

Love playing the waiting game. Means I will get more out of my 680. Not buying anything until GM110/210 is released. And hopefully AMD will have a good candidate as well.

#39 Posted by Coseniath (1685 posts) -

@horgen said:

@Coseniath said:

There are a lot of rumors.

1st There is a rumor that since AMD has no plans for 20nm GPU this year, neither Nvidia will so we will see 28nm Maxwell.

2nd There is a rumor that Maxwell 20nm is coming late this year (Maybe November/December).

3rd And there is an other rumor saying that TSMC at the moment is doing 20nm for Nvidia, but we don't know when they will be released.

4th There is a rumor too for releaseing Maxwell next year, but this rumor is about 20nm Maxwell which means we will see 28nm GM204 this year....

So the only thing we can do is wait...

Love playing the waiting game. Means I will get more out of my 680. Not buying anything until GM110/210 is released. And hopefully AMD will have a good candidate as well.

Really you can't imagine how many times I argued at hardware sites' forums. When GTX680 was realeased, I was saying that GK104 is not the flagship chip and there is a GK100/110 but probably Nvidia saw the performance of 7970 (which was released a lot earlier) and made the GK104 as 680 instead of GK100/110 etc etc...

And since you have the GTX680 you should wait for GM100/110/210 cause you already have a powerful enough GPU to wait longer.

My ideal is that I always seak for 2x or 3x the performance of my current GPU, unless a new tech will be out and its needed in order to play a game (from TnL to today's DX11).

#40 Edited by skipper847 (3680 posts) -

Can a mobo out date graphic card??. At the moment i have z77x-UD3h and when DX12 comes out about 1 year, later i am thinking of getting a proper DX12 Card. At the moment this one is fine and does the job well which is a MSI670GTX. But in a year and year and half i might upgrade so will these DX12 cards still fit this mobo?.

#41 Edited by Coseniath (1685 posts) -

@skipper847 said:

Can a mobo out date graphic card??. At the moment i have z77x-UD3h and when DX12 comes out about 1 year, later i am thinking of getting a proper DX12 Card. At the moment this one is fine and does the job well which is a MSI670GTX. But in a year and year and half i might upgrade so will these DX12 cards still fit this mobo?.

Sure why not? PCI-E 3.0 isn't fully utilised yet, not even PCI-E 2.0...

So I can tell you for sure that if we have a normal evolutionary new architecture leap your mobo will be fine. Now if the leap will be revolutionary, dunno...

#42 Posted by heatfanman101 (2877 posts) -

Hey guys, sorry to revive this, but I saw a deal today that I wanted to run by here and see if it was worth grabbing or waiting. This EVGA GTX 780ti 3GB is only $620 right now (w/ rebate and 10% MasterCard discount), seems like a really good deal for such a powerful card, worth grabbing or should i stay on course and just wait?

#43 Posted by PredatorRules (9012 posts) -

@heatfanman101 said:

Hey guys, sorry to revive this, but I saw a deal today that I wanted to run by here and see if it was worth grabbing or waiting. This EVGA GTX 780ti 3GB is only $620 right now (w/ rebate and 10% MasterCard discount), seems like a really good deal for such a powerful card, worth grabbing or should i stay on course and just wait?

I don't see how 140$ extra worth 20% boost.

Get the 780 superclocked and call the day, unless you really don't have elsewhere to spend those extra 140$