This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts

So basically I'm looking for a laptop for college next fall and I'm trying to find a laptop, windows. I just want a quality laptop with a good reputation. Is this ASUS any good?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Yes its good.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Looks decent. What are you going to be doing with a college laptop, anyway?
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CongressManStan
[QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]Looks decent. What are you going to be doing with a college laptop, anyway?

You know... Nah man I'm just joking around. Probably just typing up some papers, hopefully playing a couple games, and other various things. Any other opinions on this?
dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts

So basically I'm looking for a laptop for college next fall and I'm trying to find a laptop, windows. I just want a quality laptop with a good reputation. Is this ASUS any good?

CongressManStan

I'm going to be buying the Full HD version of that laptop in a few weeks (also for college :P). If you want to see it in person, I know Fry's carries it in their stores. It's a good jack-of-all-trades laptop, as it does everything quite well. It's a great laptop. The CPU is really good, and the RAM is upgradable to 16GB. People I've talked to generally get 3-4 hours of battery life with average use. The it's got a midrange GPU, which will give you good performance without the low battery life and bulk associated with higher end models. It should play most modern games at med-high, depending on how demanding the game is.

There are three bad things with this laptop however. First is the bloatware. A lot of people have recommended reinstalling Windows altogether to get rid of it, but if you decide to just remove the programs, it seems that the driver for the Fn keys is linked to one of the programs, so expect to reinstall the driver. Second, is the webcam. People say it's choppy in video mode, especially in less than optimal lighting conditions. Some have suggested that it might be a problem with the driver, so it is possible that this might be fixed in the future. Third is its size. Due to the frame around the screen, it is a bit wide for a 15.6". When comparing it to other laptops, I'd say it's closer to the size of a 16.4" than a typical 15.6", whether or not that will be an issue for you depends on the importance of portability. Again, I'd recommend seeing it in person, I found it to be not that bad. A fourth, but less important downside, is the keyboard. It's got some flex and some people didn't like it, I personally didn't find it to be too bad, but you can always get a higher quality chiclet keyboard off of ebay and change it out.

All in all, you'd have a hard time finding a laptop with similar specs and quality, especially at that price point. The only other laptop that I can think of that comes close is the new Dell XPS 15.

If you are going to get it though, I'd recommend getting it off of Amazon for $900 (no tax, too), they throw in Total War: Shogun 2 for free, and since you're a college student, you'd also get free 2 day shipping via a free Amazon Prime membership.

Jetset314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Jetset314
Member since 2011 • 234 Posts

I have an ASUS laptop and I have had no issues with it. Battery is stable, screen is very bright with a decent resolution. I think you will enjoy it :)

CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CongressManStan

[QUOTE="CongressManStan"]

dk00111

I'm going to be buying the Full HD version of that laptop in a few weeks (also for college :P). If you want to see it in person, I know Fry's carries it in their stores. It's a good jack-of-all-trades laptop, as it does everything quite well. It's a great laptop. The CPU is really good, and the RAM is upgradable to 16GB. People I've talked to generally get 3-4 hours of battery life with average use. The it's got a midrange GPU, which will give you good performance without the low battery life and bulk associated with higher end models. It should play most modern games at med-high, depending on how demanding the game is.

There are three bad things with this laptop however. First is the bloatware. A lot of people have recommended reinstalling Windows altogether to get rid of it, but if you decide to just remove the programs, it seems that the driver for the Fn keys is linked to one of the programs, so expect to reinstall the driver. Second, is the webcam. People say it's choppy in video mode, especially in less than optimal lighting conditions. Some have suggested that it might be a problem with the driver, so it is possible that this might be fixed in the future. Third is its size. Due to the frame around the screen, it is a bit wide for a 15.6". When comparing it to other laptops, I'd say it's closer to the size of a 16.4" than a typical 15.6", whether or not that will be an issue for you depends on the importance of portability. Again, I'd recommend seeing it in person, I found it to be not that bad. A fourth, but less important downside, is the keyboard. It's got some flex and some people didn't like it, I personally didn't find it to be too bad, but you can always get a higher quality chiclet keyboard off of ebay and change it out.

All in all, you'd have a hard time finding a laptop with similar specs and quality, especially at that price point. The only other laptop that I can think of that comes close is the new Dell XPS 15.

If you are going to get it though, I'd recommend getting it off of Amazon for $900 (no tax, too), they throw in Total War: Shogun 2 for free, and since you're a college student, you'd also get free 2 day shipping via a free Amazon Prime membership.

Thanks man! I'll have to check it out more deeply since it sounds like the size is something that you find unique. I was looking at buying it from amazon.
dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
[QUOTE="CongressManStan"] Thanks man! I'll have to check it out more deeply since it sounds like the size is something that you find unique. I was looking at buying it from amazon.

No problem. Like I said, it's something you should see in person, it's really not that bad as far as size goes. When I tried it out, I found that the extra size was a small price to pay for the quality of the laptop. It's also quite a good looking machine.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
[QUOTE="CongressManStan"][QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]Looks decent. What are you going to be doing with a college laptop, anyway?

You know... Nah man I'm just joking around. Probably just typing up some papers, hopefully playing a couple games, and other various things. Any other opinions on this?

Then this doesn't look like a bad choice. I take it you're going to be taking notes on pen and paper, at least.
gumeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 gumeh
Member since 2007 • 235 Posts

CongressManStan
good enough, u can study, work, playing a few recent games, multimedia, video editing, graphical editing, everything u can do. the price = performance, 9 point
hushamjaveed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hushamjaveed
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts

Yes..Acer Aspire is excellent... And economical.. Basically what requirements you want on laptop??