Deadly Premonition PC Director's Cut on Steam Greenlight

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I guess they threw this up like 5 days ago but I missed it. Apologies if there's a thread on this already but I didn't find one so I figured I'd start a new one, but apparently they are bringing this game to PC and it's up for voting on Greenlight to see if they'll carry it on Steam.

Personally, I'm interested, although I'm annoyed because this would now be the 3rd version of this game that I've purchased. The original Xbox version was cheap enough, but the PS3 version was almost full price and was just as sh!tty as the Xbox version in terms of items like frame rate. Polarizingly anachronistic graphics and gameplay aside, frame rate issues are frankly inexcusable and just the result of lazy development. I was so annoyed by the frame rate on the PS3 version that I barely played it.

Hopefully an overpowered PC will make up for crap development.

This version will include all the add-ons to the PS3 version.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160687506

So, anyone else planning on getting this? This will -hopefully- be the best version.

-Byshop

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
I voted for it last week once I found out about it. I would like to check it out.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I'm expecting it to be the worst version. Deadly Premonition was a technical disaster on both PS3 and 360. The PS3 version, despite being released later with improvements, looks and performs far worse then the 360 release. I'm predicting that the PC version will have bad controls and poor optimization.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Byshop  Moderator

I'm expecting it to be the worst version. Deadly Premonition was a technical disaster on both PS3 and 360. The PS3 version, despite being released later with improvements, looks and performs far worse then the 360 release. I'm predicting that the PC version will have bad controls and poor optimization.

JangoWuzHere

The PS3 version's performance was abysmal (at least in the rain during the intro and in the "weird forest room" segments). It had been a while since I had played the 360 version and I loaned it to a friend so I didn't have it for comparison, but it did seem worse to me.

The thing is, PC versions can be modded (to a degree) even if the devs make crappy versions.

-Byshop

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

I beat this game years ago.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#6 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
That looks awesome.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#7 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

voted

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Byshop

The PS3 version's performance was abysmal (at least in the rain during the intro and in the "weird forest room" segments). It had been a while since I had played the 360 version and I loaned it to a friend so I didn't have it for comparison, but it did seem worse to me.

The thing is, PC versions can be modded (to a degree) even if the devs make crappy versions.

-Byshop

Not everything can be fixed with mods. It depends on how moddable the actually game itself can be.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

Not everything can be fixed with mods. It depends on how moddable the actually game itself can be.

JangoWuzHere

Sure, but I also have an overpowered PC. Even the worst PC ports I've ever seen never ran as slow on my PC as DP did on PS3.

-Byshop

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

I honestly don't care if this is a horrible port. The fact it ran so poorly was part of the fun when I played through it. :P

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Byshop  Moderator

I honestly don't care if this is a horrible port. The fact it ran so poorly was part of the fun when I played through it. :P

agpickle

Like I said, I could forgive every anachronism the game had -except- for the frame rate.

-Byshop

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

I want it on PC. I love Twin Peaks. That this game counts that show among its influences is reason enough for me to buy it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Byshop  Moderator

I want it on PC. I love Twin Peaks. That this game counts that show among its influences is reason enough for me to buy it.

psn8214

I like how they say it's influenced by Twin Peaks when virtually every element of the game, characters and story is blatanty ripped off from it.

Eccentric, straight laced FBI agent who constantly talks to an unseen character? Check.

Murder of a young girl in a semi-rural town full of odd characters? Check.

Crazy old lady who carries around an innanimate object that she treats like a person? Check.

Strange, unexplained supernatural undertone/subtext? Check.

Etc, etc.

-Byshop

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 psn8214

I like how they say it's influenced by Twin Peaks when virtually every element of the game, characters and story is blatanty ripped off from it.

Eccentric, straight laced FBI agent who constantly talks to an unseen character? Check.

Crazy old lady who carries around an innanimate object that she treats like a person? Check.

Etc, etc.

-Byshop

Byshop

Haha, honestly, you're selling me on the game. :P Twin Peaks is one of my all time favorites in any form of media. They even have a Log Lady rip-off? That's f*cking awesome. :D

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

Etc, etc.

-Byshop

psn8214

Haha, honestly, you're selling me on the game. :P Twin Peaks is one of my all time favorites in any form of media. They even have a Log Lady rip-off? That's f*cking awesome. :D

Shameless ripoff or not, being compared to Twin Peaks is only a good thing in my book. I wasn't trying to dissuade you.

-Byshop

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 psn8214

Shameless ripoff or not, being compared to Twin Peaks is only a good thing in my book. I wasn't trying to dissuade you.

-Byshop

Byshop

Truth. I almost wish I'd picked it up when I still owned consoles. Still, I'd rather play it on PC.