Dead Space 3 save game system is weird?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 merigoldsass
Member since 2011 • 575 Posts

does aynone think that the Dead Space 3 save game system is strange. SAVE AND QUIT seems to save from the last checkpoint which are rare in the game causeing you to have to start from far back when you load the game. am i doing something wrong or is it that terrible?

S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 S4E
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts

does aynone think that the Dead Space 3 save game system is strange. SAVE AND QUIT seems to save from the last checkpoint which are rare in the game causeing you to have to start from far back when you load the game. am i doing something wrong or is it that terrible?

merigoldsass
No, I don't think you are doing anything wrong, if I remember correctly it did the same to me. It does respawn the resources as well by the way, if you are low or anything.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#3 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
it saves your inventory but the checkpoints are more sporadic than before. Side missions have no "hard" saves so if you leave the game during them, you'll have to start from the beginning. I think their co-op implementation is the reason for the save problems.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

it saves your inventory but the checkpoints are more sporadic than before. Side missions have no "hard" saves so if you leave the game during them, you'll have to start from the beginning. I think their co-op implementation is the reason for the save problems. nutcrackr

This. And the co op implementation is directly responsible for plenty of other terrible things about the game. I'm almost at the end, and I'm just forcing myself to finish it now. It has its moments, but is extremely disappointing overall. I can see myself replaying Dead Space 1, and probably even 2, several times, just because. DS3, though... I doubt I'll ever touch it again after finishing. Which is a real shame, because the gun crafting system is sweet, and would make for great replay value, especially in New Game +, if only playing the campaign wasn't so much of a chore.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

It was made as a result of the co-op.

I'm actually sad they didn't do a little more to make single player as fun as co-op. It's still playable in single player (which is more than can be said for RE5 or Army of Two solo), but all the best stuff is for co-op. Even the story has a great character arc you only see in co-op.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_bi99man

I'm actually sad they didn't do a little more to make single player as fun as co-op. It's still playable in single player (which is more than can be said for RE5 or Army of Two solo), but all the best stuff is for co-op. Even the story has a great character arc you only see in co-op.

SPYDER0416

That's what I'm seeing in my solo playthrough. Lots of parts in cutscenes where they seem to be referencing conversations that I haven't heard, presumably because they would have happened between Isaac and whathisname, during gameplay, if I had a co-op partner. And really annoying areas where you need to run around hitting buttons, which was probably made for two people to do, so neither one had to run back and forth.

And yeah, at least it is playable. Holy sh!t the forced co-op in RE5 was terrible. AI Sheva was dumb as a rock. Totally incompetent, and got me killed more often than she actually helped. I was never even able to beat the final boss, because it was literally impossible with AI Sheva. She simply couldn't do her part. That was one of the worst design decisions I've ever seen in a game, and I really hope someone at Capcom got fired, and blacklisted out of the industry for that.

S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 S4E
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts
Did anyone else have, sort of towards the end, some weird deaths happening? At least I had no idea what was going on, icy place, where you landed or something, and then I think, spikes or something appeared out of the ground and just killed your character?
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

the_bi99man

That's what I'm seeing in my solo playthrough. Lots of parts in cutscenes where they seem to be referencing conversations that I haven't heard, presumably because they would have happened between Isaac and whathisname, during gameplay, if I had a co-op partner. And really annoying areas where you need to run around hitting buttons, which was probably made for two people to do, so neither one had to run back and forth.

And yeah, at least it is playable. Holy sh!t the forced co-op in RE5 was terrible. AI Sheva was dumb as a rock. Totally incompetent, and got me killed more often than she actually helped. I was never even able to beat the final boss, because it was literally impossible with AI Sheva. She simply couldn't do her part. That was one of the worst design decisions I've ever seen in a game, and I really hope someone at Capcom got fired, and blacklisted out of the industry for that.

It gave me newfound respect for Ashely from RE4 since she did what I told her, disappeared for long stretches of time, and didn't waste my damn resources. Sheva being controlled by a real partner is amazing and fun, Sheva AI is bombastically stupid, so I can be glad DS3 decided to try and at least appeal to horror lovers that want to be solo without an AI restricting them (though with the various references and co-op exclusive stuff, it's still not the best they could have done).

The Army of Two games do a surprisingly great job letting you play with AI, but it isn't a survival horror based series. You aren't sharing ammo or having to watch items and health, and in that case an AI just complicates much more, not to mention adding co-op just automatically makes the co-op better than single player because that's what developers intended it for (though somehow in RE6 co-op is kind of pointless, going too far in the other direction by making them completely useless and not requiring any help outside of opening doors).

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_bi99man

(though somehow in RE6 co-op is kind of pointless, going too far in the other direction by making them completely useless and not requiring any help outside of opening doors).

SPYDER0416

That's hilarious. Gotta love Capcom.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#10 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Hmm spikes out of the ground? Are you talking about those sacks on the walls and floor that shoot out explosives?
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

(though somehow in RE6 co-op is kind of pointless, going too far in the other direction by making them completely useless and not requiring any help outside of opening doors).

the_bi99man

That's hilarious. Gotta love Capcom.

Yeah I guess they took the complaints to heart a bit much. They don't need any ammo or health, they go around doing whatever they feel like and are never in any danger, they pretty much exist for the sake of justifying co-op and maybe some banter since they add nothing gameplay wise aside from someone who occasionally kills a zombie or two for you.

So when you do add a co-op partner, it's somehow less worth it. You need to rely on them to be on time for door opening, you need to make sure they don't die, and you damn sure have to share health and ammo resources (which you don't need with the RE6 AI partner).