Dead Genres (or perhaps sleeping)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NocturnalDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NocturnalDemon
Member since 2007 • 558 Posts

Sci-Fi MMOs.  It's been pretty empty since Anarchy Online and Starwars Galaxies died.  Hopefully the Fallout MMO will be good.

Space Shooters.  We miss you, Descent and Freespace.  Freelancer was a nice try, but the future of this genre looks particularly bleak.

First Person Dungeon Crawlers.

Mech Sims.  The days of Mech Warrior were classic indeed.

Flight Sims.

anyone else want to add?

*updated*

Shrodinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Shrodinger
Member since 2005 • 994 Posts
Fighting games for the pc. Look at my sig and click the link for a list I compiled of recent ones.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
It's cyclical. mid 90s saw the death of RPGs, only to be ressurected by Diablo, Fallout and BG2. Late 90s-2001= death of puzzle genre, but now it's back. Currently Adventure and sim are making a come back (including space sims).
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts

Richard Garriot's MMO, Tabula Rasa, should be coming out later this year, and it has a sci-fi setting. Also I wouldn't hold your breath on the Fallout MMO. It will be a miracle if it gets made.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I think space sims are pretty effectively dead. Freespace 2 killed it. It pretty much proved that no matter how good, they won't sell. :) Freelancer was a good effort, though. It's still a really pretty game and modded to all hell.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I think space sims are pretty effectively dead. Freespace 2 killed it. It pretty much proved that no matter how good, they won't sell. :) Freelancer was a good effort, though. It's still a really pretty game and modded to all hell.Makari

Don't forget X series, a very interesting take with limitless depth.. The amount of things you can do in that game is incredible.. And Freespace 2 is still alive and kicking with the mod community with dozens of campaigns that make any fan cry out in joy for the massive amounts of gameplay there is.

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts

You can also look forward to Huxley to fill the void of Sci Fi MMOs. Also Anarchy Online may have been given a bit of new life with the release of it's latest expansion Lost Eden.

I hate to admit it but I realy miss the days of the good old dungeon devling PC RPGs such as Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Hack.

Spindry69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spindry69
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts

Flight Sims have been dormant for a long time. Anyone who remembers the Microprose or Jane's era would agree. Though there is hope on the horrizon with Fighter Ops.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Flight Sims have been dormant for a long time. Anyone who remembers the Microprose or Jane's era would agree. Though there is hope on the horrizon with Fighter Ops.

Spindry69
Nah, the IL2 and Lockon series has pretty much been the best their is for us military sim junkies. IL2: 1946 hasn't been out all that long, and includes two expansions that were previously available outside Russia. And then there's Storm of War: Battle of Britain from the same guys coming up on a new engine.
Decado_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Decado_basic
Member since 2002 • 4030 Posts

Mech Sims.  Haven't had a quality one in ages (none of significance being developed right now, afaik).

The only space sims I know of in development are mods or being made in Russia :(

Vito25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Vito25
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts
HELLO!!!!!    You guys need to check out SpaceForce 2 coming out in like a week. I'm definitly getting it. And yes we need new Mechwarrior game.
NocturnalDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NocturnalDemon

Mech Sims.  Haven't had a quality one in ages (none of significance being developed right now, afaik).

The only space sims I know of in development are mods or being made in Russia :(

Decado_basic

I had forgotten about Mech Sims!  Omg...I've shamed myself.  There just hasn't been a good one in so long :(

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
I loved the Wing Commander games. I'd like to see a resurgence of that genre again someday. Nintendo's Starfox has the potential, but the developers would have to risk delivering to a very niche audience.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Decado_basic

Definitely would love to play Heavy Gear 3 if it would ever be made.

Decado_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Decado_basic

Heavy Gear 3 or Mechwarrior 5...with today's technology?  *drools*

It is frustrating because quality Mech games actually sold pretty well, but the developers who made make console games now :(

Decado_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Decado_basic

HELLO!!!!! You guys need to check out SpaceForce 2 coming out in like a week. I'm definitly getting it. And yes we need new Mechwarrior game. Vito25

I didn't realize it was coming out so soon.  Leary of it because of the developer (anyone played the first StarForce?).  Anyone heard anything about Chronicles of Tarra, Parkan II and The Tomorrow War?

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Decado_basic"]

Mech Sims. Haven't had a quality one in ages (none of significance being developed right now, afaik).

NocturnalDemon

I had forgotten about Mech Sims! Omg...I've shamed myself. There just hasn't been a good one in so long :(

Honestly, there are still a lot, they're just on consoles and not the way we liked them to be. :(
daftpunk_mk5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 daftpunk_mk5
Member since 2006 • 344 Posts

Spindry69

definitly. the Jane's games were AMAZING, I remember how fun it was to play F-15 on my sidewinder 2 joystick 

exl40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 exl40
Member since 2006 • 60 Posts
Adventure games such as Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, et al. are well and truly dead.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Decado_basic

What's wrong with Russia? Plus it should be eastern-central Europe, that's where space sims are made right now :)

And we did have new Starsiege in development, but it was canceled :( :( :( 

kopyright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kopyright
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Some sort of sports game compilation... I still remember the Summer/Winter/California/World/Whatever Games series and the great fun we had with them. Guess there's just no market for these anymore.

When was the last really good pinball sim for PC?
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts

Sci-Fi MMOs. It's been pretty empty since Anarchy Online and Starwars Galaxies died. Hopefully the Fallout MMO will be good.

Space Shooters. We miss you, Descent and Freespace. Freelancer was a nice try, but the future of this genre looks particularly bleak.

First Person Dungeon Crawlers.

Mech Sims. The days of Mech Warrior were classic indeed.

Flight Sims.

anyone else want to add?

*updated*

NocturnalDemon

I consider space rangers a space shooter.. Although it's more strategy ish, but it fills that void for me and is fairly recent ish..

I guess only one company making real flight sims can be considered a dead genre 

J-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 J-REAL
Member since 2006 • 595 Posts
Black Shark will put the flight sim back on the map. Its a chopper sim.
zer0sil3nce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 zer0sil3nce
Member since 2007 • 237 Posts
there are some good MMORPGs sci-fi coming out soon too.
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts
omg heavy gear 3!!!
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ForlornHope
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts
i really wish adventure games would die already. they are usaly so frustrating.
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ForlornHope
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts

Some sort of sports game compilation... I still remember the Summer/Winter/California/World/Whatever Games series and the great fun we had with them. Guess there's just no market for these anymore.

When was the last really good pinball sim for PC?kopyright

man california games was fun on sms and genesis. weird too. 

kopyright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kopyright
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Would EVE Onlie cout as SciFi MMO? It's not exactly like you are running around on planets shooting aliens and stuff, but it's clearly a SciFi setting.
sircyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sircyrus
Member since 2003 • 6358 Posts

I'd throw Dynamic World & Skill-based MMO's up on that list. Dynamic World meaning a game world completely open to you at the very start in which the players determine how it evolves, rather than moving from 1 zone to the next in search of the next XP grind. Ultima Online and SWG being 2 examples.

Skill-based MMO's meaning MMO's which feature skill development rather than levelling up. Again, UO and SWG being 2 examples. Level-based MMO's took the easy way out. It limits content, seperates the playerbase, removes the player from the world (since areas are temporary locations rather than permanent 'playgrounds'), and dumbs down combat.

UO is really the only example of the 2 that is worth mentioning because of how badly SWG turned out after/during beta, but atleast they tried to rekindle things.

llakallaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 llakallaka
Member since 2006 • 1230 Posts

mmm...all they do is think about something inovating to come out with...but when they do come out with a game...the genre it was ment to be...was ment to be...!!!

Decado_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Decado_basic
[QUOTE="Decado_basic"]

Mech Sims. Haven't had a quality one in ages (none of significance being developed right now, afaik).

AdrianWerner

What's wrong with Russia? Plus it should be eastern-central Europe, that's where space sims are made right now :)

And we did have new Starsiege in development, but it was canceled :( :( :(

Usually a noticeable lack of talent and budget, buggy games, bad translations should they get localized. I'd much rather have the quality sim studios of the past making these games than "Eastern European" or Russian studios that often have never made a quality game in their existance.

NocturnalDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NocturnalDemon

Would EVE Onlie cout as SciFi MMO? It's not exactly like you are running around on planets shooting aliens and stuff, but it's clearly a SciFi setting.kopyright

Eve is a sci-fi mmo, true, but it isn't very good.  There hasn't been a good sci-fi mmo since 2003.

sircyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sircyrus
Member since 2003 • 6358 Posts

[QUOTE="kopyright"]Would EVE Onlie cout as SciFi MMO? It's not exactly like you are running around on planets shooting aliens and stuff, but it's clearly a SciFi setting.NocturnalDemon

Eve is a sci-fi mmo, true, but it isn't very good.  There hasn't been a good sci-fi mmo since 2003.

I certainly hope you're not referring to Star Wars Galaxies as a good sci-fi MMO. Out of all the "big" MMO's SWG is easily the worst out of all of them, and no it's not from the NGE, and it wasn't good pre-CU. The game was horrible back in beta, at release, and still is today. They botched it badly.