• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Hey guys, I've been watching some gameplay vids of the game and It looks amazing, can't believe I didn't jump in on this earlier.

I know the game is in Alpha stage and all, but as of right now would it be worth paying for the early access, or should I wait until the full release? Thanks.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I bought it. I like it, but it's so buggy and I don't have the time to devote to it right now to really enjoy it. Just know that you're going to die a LOT!

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BattleSpectre

@soolkiki said:

I bought it. I like it, but it's so buggy and I don't have the time to devote to it right now to really enjoy it. Just know that you're going to die a LOT!

Dying doesn't really bother me, only thing that concerns me is I won't be playing with any mates so how does the game fair in that regard? Can I just jump right into DayZ by myself and expect to have some fun? Like do people usually team up with you and help, or is it more like a shoot on sight type of play style?

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 soolkiki

@BattleSpectre said:
@soolkiki said:

Dying doesn't really bother me, only thing that concerns me is I won't be playing with any mates so how does the game fair in that regard? Can I just jump right into DayZ by myself and expect to have some fun? Like do people usually team up with you and help, or is it more like a shoot on sight type of play style?

Well, there is no real pairing system. You are plopped into a random part of the world and so you'll have to find your friends before you can really play together. By yourself, it is fun, though you need to find food and weapons right away, because the zombies are really really difficult to beat, and impossible with fists and you find that your char is hungry as soon as you start. You can't really hide inside from the zombies either because they clip through walls and doors most of the time. You either kill them or outrun them at this point. Then, with people, I have yet to have someone just kill me on sight. Most of them just want to live and so you'll have them shouting "friendly!" over the mic.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BattleSpectre

@soolkiki said:

@BattleSpectre said:
@soolkiki said:

Well, there is no real pairing system. You are plopped into a random part of the world and so you'll have to find your friends before you can really play together. By yourself, it is fun, though you need to find food and weapons right away, because the zombies are really really difficult to beat, and impossible with fists and you find that your char is hungry as soon as you start. You can't really hide inside from the zombies either because they clip through walls and doors most of the time. You either kill them or outrun them at this point. Then, with people, I have yet to have someone just kill me on sight. Most of them just want to live and so you'll have them shouting "friendly!" over the mic.

Sold! Hahahah awesome, thanks for that you've pretty much sold me the game. Day Z here I come.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I mean, it's already tons of fun and I already have 100 hours in it, but it definitely is still receiving tons of major work. If I want to play a game without any friends, it's pretty much the game I always play. The game is really unpredictable. There have been times I've run around on servers with 60 players and had difficulty finding people, and there were other times I'd only be on a server with 4 people and I'd end up running into a player. Nothing gets your heart pumping like randomly stumbling upon another player. It seems to happen most commonly when you least expect it!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

Hey guys, I've been watching some gameplay vids of the game and It looks amazing, can't believe I didn't jump in on this earlier.

I know the game is in Alpha stage and all, but as of right now would it be worth paying for the early access, or should I wait until the full release? Thanks.

I made an xpadder profile if you would want to play with a controller

and it's defenitely worth it

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BattleSpectre

@KHAndAnime said:

I mean, it's already tons of fun and I already have 100 hours in it, but it definitely is still receiving tons of major work. If I want to play a game without any friends, it's pretty much the game I always play. The game is really unpredictable. There have been times I've run around on servers with 60 players and had difficulty finding people, and there were other times I'd only be on a server with 4 people and I'd end up running into a player. Nothing gets your heart pumping like randomly stumbling upon another player. It seems to happen most commonly when you least expect it!

Awesome, hearing this excites me even more about the game.

@evildead6789 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

I made an xpadder profile if you would want to play with a controller

and it's defenitely worth it

Sweet, but I don't use a controller for my PC (not yet anyway) I really should invest in a 360 controller though, might make some games a little easier to play.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KHAndAnime

I have no problem with people playing games how they like to play them - but playing DayZ with a controller sounds like a really bad idea! Don't do it :p

We're talking about a game where being able to aim at a guy's face half a second faster is the difference between losing your hard-earned character and keeping him. You die - you lose everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@BattleSpectre

Get it and add me on steam.

I have 278 hours so far, I play with a bunch of friendly guys and we have a server so we can loot up in relative safety.

Also may I draw your attention to my sticky thread on this board, you can see what they've been adding.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

It is fun playing by yourself, but the true experience is within playing with other strangers /friends.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

it's worth it right now just as much as it will ever be; you are buying the end product anyway with that purchase. the correct question is that "is it worth playing right now?"

my answer is yes. i already got 70 hours clocked in that stripped down alpha version. i really love the concept of the game. now that i've played so much of it (70h for an alpha is something i never saw myself doing), i tend to only play it after new patches to test all the new stuff. can't wait to see where they end up with this.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BattleSpectre

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@BattleSpectre

I have 278 hours so far, I play with a bunch of friendly guys and we have a server so we can loot up in relative safety.

Also may I draw your attention to my sticky thread on this board, you can see what they've been adding.

I already have you on Steam, I'm like a ninja ;)

I think we added each other ages ago, anyways I'm Florinx Fox (don't ask, my little brother chose the name, he's obsessed with Foxes or somefing).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@BattleSpectre

I think we added each other ages ago, anyways I'm Florinx Fox (don't ask, my little brother chose the name, he's obsessed with Foxes or somefing).

DayZ isn't bad, and you can have some fun with it in it's current state... but it has a few major flaws.

One is no buddy system, so it's basically pointless playing with friends.

Another is longetivity. Once the initial awe wears off, there isn't much to do in the game. Just wander around looking for food basically. They are adding more things in the future.

Sony have created a similar product called H1Z1: http://games.on.net/2014/05/h1z1s-first-gameplay-footage-released-shows-zombies-on-fire/

Have to wait and see what that brings.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BattleSpectre

@FelipeInside said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@BattleSpectre

DayZ isn't bad, and you can have some fun with it in it's current state... but it has a few major flaws.

One is no buddy system, so it's basically pointless playing with friends.

Another is longetivity. Once the initial awe wears off, there isn't much to do in the game. Just wander around looking for food basically. They are adding more things in the future.

Sony have created a similar product called H1Z1: http://games.on.net/2014/05/h1z1s-first-gameplay-footage-released-shows-zombies-on-fire/

Have to wait and see what that brings.

I like the idea of Day Z though, I don't plan on playing with friends and I just like the idea of meeting random people and deciding on whether or not you can trust them or not. It really feels like a survival game where if you die you lose everything so you have to be really careful. Sony's game looks interesting but I have a bad feeling about it, I'm not writing it off but with Day Z here it'll be hard to compete I reckon.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Day Z...

Is a game where you spend 10-20 minutes running around a empty environment collecting items at 30-40FPS on low settings on a $700/£500 GPU avoiding zombies that offer no challenge what so ever that also walk through wall's... Then you get killed by another player and you spawn again and repeat.

Day Z?... Great concept but poor game made by a mod development team that has never made a finished product and seeing as this mod has been around for 4-5 years now chances are Day Z is never going to feel like a finished product.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Day Z...

Is a game where you spend 10-20 minutes running around a empty environment collecting items at 30-40FPS on low settings on a $700/£500 GPU avoiding zombies that offer no challenge what so ever that also walk through wall's... Then you get killed by another player and you spawn again and repeat.

Day Z?... Great concept but poor game made by a mod development team that has never made a finished product and seeing as this mod has been around for 4-5 years now chances are Day Z is never going to feel like a finished product.

I basically second this. Great concept, and sounds exciting on paper.... once you play it for a while though, you realize it's not a completed product by a long shot.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KHAndAnime

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Day Z...

Funny, my GTX 670 maxes it at 1200p, 60 FPS (cept for AA on low). Dean Hall was contracted to work on ArmA 3, which was completed. His team, now consisting of a small division of employees at Bohemia Interactive, have completed tons of games (see BI's dev history). DayZ standalone has only been in development since later 2012, so the game itself has been in development for less than 2 years. S.T.A.L.K.E.R, one of the most acclaimed PC titles, took over 6 years to complete.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BattleSpectre

@FelipeInside said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Day Z...

I basically second this. Great concept, and sounds exciting on paper.... once you play it for a while though, you realize it's not a completed product by a long shot.

Yeah but if you go into the game with the right mindset that it's not a complete product and expect all the things that come with it like it running poor, heaps of bugs and glitches you'll enjoy it. Before you buy the game it even warns you on the Steam page that it's going to have lots of bugs and you shouldn't buy it if that's not what you want.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-579f651eab962

I look at it like this.

I paid £20 for it and have had 278 hours of entertainment, that's 13.9 pence an hour.

Now that's cheap entertainment, and it's not even in Beta yet.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@KHAndAnime said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Day Z...

Funny, my GTX 670 maxes it at 1200p, 60 FPS (cept for AA on low). Dean Hall was contracted to work on ArmA 3, which was completed. His team, now consisting of a small division of employees at Bohemia Interactive, have completed tons of games (see BI's dev history). DayZ standalone has only been in development since later 2012, so the game itself has been in development for less than 2 years. S.T.A.L.K.E.R, one of the most acclaimed PC titles, took over 6 years to complete.

60FPS... Maxed?... Would you mind providing a screen shot of the game in a town please with the FPS counter. Because I get 30-40FP no matter what setting I use unless I am in a forest looking at a tree.

STALKER:

• Had a single player portion with 30-40 hours of gameplay
  • Had a Mulitiplayer

Day Z:

• Is a one big multiplayer map with zombie's in it that have little to no AI.

They are not even remotely comparable.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@klunt_bumskrint said:

I look at it like this.

I paid £20 for it and have had 278 hours of entertainment, that's 13.9 pence an hour.

Now that's cheap entertainment, and it's not even in Beta yet.

I agree... You can still have fun with it, I have logged in 47 hours on the Standalone.

That being said once you realize how long its been in development and that its just one map with zombies in it that have no AI and its full of glitches and runs poor, it makes you wonder what they have been doing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-579f651eab962

They were a very small team when the alpha was released. Now they're much larger and getting more done, just look in my stickied thread at all the stuff they're been adding.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FelipeInside

@BattleSpectre said:
@FelipeInside said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Day Z...

Yeah but if you go into the game with the right mindset that it's not a complete product and expect all the things that come with it like it running poor, heaps of bugs and glitches you'll enjoy it. Before you buy the game it even warns you on the Steam page that it's going to have lots of bugs and you shouldn't buy it if that's not what you want.

The bugs are annoying, but they are just bugs. Problem is some bugs are game breaking... and even if you look past that, there isn't much to do in the game after the initial "new game vibe" wears off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

If you're playing with say 6 other people trying to keep a town or airfield as yours it can almost become a tactical shooter. Also it gives great opportunities for in game pictures.

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

I really tried to like it but the controls are awful, fighting zombies is awful. It looks good but plays bad. Its basically tons of walking and collecting till some douche bag decides to kill you for no reason.

I've had way more fun with 7 days to die. In this you can build whatever you want. If want large scale mmo for this type i'd wait for H1Z1.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Day Z...

60FPS... Maxed?... Would you mind providing a screen shot of the game in a town please with the FPS counter. Because I get 30-40FP no matter what setting I use unless I am in a forest looking at a tree.

STALKER:

• Had a single player portion with 30-40 hours of gameplay
  • Had a Mulitiplayer

Day Z:

• Is a one big multiplayer map with zombie's in it that have little to no AI.

They are not even remotely comparable.

Perhaps it's a hardware compatibility issue on your end? Just because you have poor performance doesn't mean everyone else does. I'm not running my character all the way into Cherno to prove this mere point - it should be common knowledge that some games, particularly unfinished ones, are unoptimized and run better on some setups than others.

They're both PC FPS games, why can't you compare the amount of time they took to develop? S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had a barebones multiplayer with a handful of tiny maps and handful of weapons and basic game modes. The singleplayer is big, but blatantly not requiring over six years of development. Unlike S.T.A.L.K.E.R, DayZ has an absolutely huge, seamless map, filled with insane amounts explorable space and buildings. DayZ's also implementing a crafting system (involving trap building), intricate health/food system, more types of varying loot, item customization, in depth vehicle system, hunting, etc. DayZ is a huge project - and absolutely nothing remotely like it has ever been done or even attempted until its development. There's no reason why it wouldn't take a few years to finish. Multiplayer games are a little more difficult to make when they're at this scale.

Really, what's the point in bitching about how long it takes for a game to release anyways? It's done when it's done. I want my DayZ to not play like Battlefield 4 when it's officially finished.

People are entitled to not liking the game. It's unfinished and far from completion, why should you like it? But saying things like the full game will never be finished because the mod's development began 5 years ago (which isn't true) is just silly. Mod development doesn't count towards game development. A vision for a completed DayZ game never even existed until late 2012, and you think the full game should be done because the mod existed a year and a half before that?

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Just know that you'll have to deal with alpha stuff like bugs and lots of incomplete features. But other than that, DayZ is definitely the most entertaining multiplayer game I have ever played. :)

@soolkiki said:

I have yet to have someone just kill me on sight.

Are you serious? How many hours do you have in the game? I play it almost every day. And while friendly people do exist, the majority of players KOS all the time.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 soolkiki

@harry_james_pot said:

Just know that you'll have to deal with alpha stuff like bugs and lots of incomplete features. But other than that, DayZ is definitely the most entertaining multiplayer game I have ever played. :)

@soolkiki said:

Are you serious? How many hours do you have in the game? I play it almost every day. And while friendly people do exist, the majority of players KOS all the time.

I am serious and I believe you, but that has not been my experience so far. I think I've only put a little under 10 hours in because of time restraints between work and school.

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator

@soolkiki said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@soolkiki said:

I am serious and I believe you, but that has not been my experience so far. I think I've only put a little under 10 hours in because of time restraints between work and school.

Well, then you've been incredibly lucky so far.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@BattleSpectre

You can add me as well

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

not even remotely worth it in its current form.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-579f651eab962

@Geminon: Your opinion

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BattleSpectre

@evildead6789 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@BattleSpectre

You can add me as well

Most definitely, what's your Steam name? I don't have the game yet but hey, doesn't hurt to add friends from Gamespot for future games too.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

The game is great fun, I have put about 40 hours into it. I started off playing everyday now I have back off some. With the future updates coming I know I will get back into it just taking the time off I guess.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Geminon

@klunt_bumskrint said:

and you saying that it IS worth it is YOUR opinion....

so what exactly is your point? is the entire point of the thread not to offer an opinion on the game?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

@Geminon said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

and you saying that it IS worth it is YOUR opinion....

so what exactly is your point? is the entire point of the thread not to offer an opinion on the game?

I backed up my "opinion" with anecdotal evidence based on my own experiences, you just said "not worth it"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

@Geminon: You apparently!

Anyway TC has decided to give it a go. @BattleSpectre: Lets see what he thinks.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Geminon

@klunt_bumskrint said:

im not the one that posted complaining that i didnt provide "evidence".....as if evidence matters when it comes to an opinion....

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator

@Geminon said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

im not the one that posted complaining that i didnt provide "evidence".....as if evidence matters when it comes to an opinion....

Maybe evidence isn't the right word here, but you have to backup your opinion. The whole point of this thread is helping TC make a decision. Just saying "not worth it" without explaining why, does not contribute to the discussion in any meaningful way.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

As someone who loved the mod and played it and its variations for hundreds of hours I don't care for the standalone. It feels off to me, the sense of dread I still get from mods like Day Origins and even the original for a while is totally absent. The zombies suck, the mouse acceleration sucks (they might have fixed this by now), and it doesn't fix the aimlessness of the mod that became a problem once you became good it. Mods like Dayz Origins and Epoch fixed this by having base building and vehicles to repair, Standalone is just exploration and looting which gets terribly old terribly quickly. Having good loot just isn't enough to make me care about my character any more, I need something more to live for after playing other, better versions of Dayz.

If you want to wander around looting and fighting zombies, Breaking Point is way better (even though the fighting zombies part has been reduced in recent updates). If you want to go for end game objectives, Origins is better even though it has the shitty UI of the mod and crappy zombies.

I put like 20 hours into the mod and got so damn bored of it so quickly. They just keep adding usless, half finished features that do nothing to improve the game. This is an alpha, add meaningful shit and worry about the bugs later, you shouldn't be worrying about polish at this stage. Sort the zombies, get some vehicles and persistent structures in and then add the superfluous crap like getting wet and having to boil water later on. I get they want to emphasize the survival aspect but right now its not worth playing. I cant believe people are putting hundreds of hours into this.

Right now its shaping up to be a 4/10 game, great concept being shat upon and stolen by other, more competent developers.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Geminon

@harry_james_pot said:

@Geminon said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Maybe evidence isn't the right word here, but you have to backup your opinion. The whole point of this thread is helping TC make a decision. Just saying "not worth it" without explaining why, does not contribute to the discussion in any meaningful way.

no, you dont. you dont have to back up an opinion at all... THAT IS WHY IT IS AN OPINION. you can have an opinion for any reason, with any amount of evidence... you can even have an opinion that completely flies in the face of truth, just because you dont believe it.

this isnt fucking CSI. who gives a shit why people think what on an internet forum.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FelipeInside

@Geminon said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@Geminon said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

this isnt fucking CSI. who gives a shit why people think what on an internet forum.

Why would people ask for opinions or even read them on a forum, or even BE on a forum if people didn't give a shit about other's opinion?

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Geminon

@FelipeInside said:

@Geminon said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@Geminon said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Why would people ask for opinions or even read them on a forum, or even BE on a forum if people didn't give a shit about other's opinion?

because if a bunch of people like a game... chances are it is a good game. it doesnt matter WHY they like it... they just do.

this shit does not require a 5 page paper to justify... game is bad... game is good. if you want to know more, then go do your own research. chances are you arent going to like or hate a game for the same reasons as someone else anyhow... and it takes just as much time as looking for a forum post....

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#46  Edited By True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint:

Hey what's your steam? I just bought this too, would be fun playing with a group.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BattleSpectre

@Geminon: Geminon sorry for making you upset I guess. I've been on this website for a few years now and have got to know some people and make friends, so I value their opinion and thoughts on a game.

Sure I could YouTube some videos or look for answers on Google, but I want to know what you guys think, all I was doing was asking a question which is why we're on this forum anyway to give our honest opinions.

I personally don't think there was anything wrong with your answer because you said "not worth it in it's current form" which pretty much gives me a rough idea on what you meant.

But I do understand where the others are coming from too, anyways at the end of the day we're all on this forum to ask questions and get to know each others opinions, so thanks for sharing anyway.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

@BattleSpectre:

Myself personally I much perfer 7 days to die. I have over 100 hours in that game. Looking for a new server host as unfortunately all the AU ones are no longer available or full (depending on provider).

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BattleSpectre

@darksusperia said:

@BattleSpectre:

Myself personally I much perfer 7 days to die. I have over 100 hours in that game. Looking for a new server host as unfortunately all the AU ones are no longer available or full (depending on provider).

Interesting, I'm also from Australia. Never heard of this game to be honest I'll have to check it out.