Dark Messiah Disc Error

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Taalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Taalon
Member since 2006 • 3424 Posts

I bought Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Collectors Edition earlier today. I put the Making Of DVD in my computer, watched that and had a craving for the game.

So I put it in the drive, hands shaking, and to my horror nothing happened. No Autoplay. Nothing on My Computer, just a DVD-ROM Drive logo.

I tried it on my dad's laptop. The Autoplay menu came up, everything went well. I put Warhammer: Mark Of Chaos in my PC to see if it was games as a whole that didn't work, but that went fine. Anyone have any idea why this could be happening? I'm running Vista Home Premium, but it shouldn't be a problem because all other games work.

Taalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Taalon
Bump. Come on guys, surely ONE person knows what the problem could be.
corky842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 corky842
Member since 2004 • 257 Posts
Gee, have you tried contacting the game's tech support?
felixzelphyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 felixzelphyn
Member since 2005 • 176 Posts
Sounds like it's something wrong with your CD-ROM drive. Not to make you feel stupid, but is it a DVD/CD drive? (I'm not sure if CD-ROM drives are able to read DVD movies, but unable to read the info off of data DVD's)
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I'd recommend doing the Steam registration/install, anyway... I did that with my Collector's Edition just to make sure it was fully patched and such.
Taalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Taalon
Gee, have you tried contacting the game's tech support?
corky842
You bet your balls I have. I've had the same replies as this thread has.
Sounds like it's something wrong with your CD-ROM drive. Not to make you feel stupid, but is it a DVD/CD drive? (I'm not sure if CD-ROM drives are able to read DVD movies, but unable to read the info off of data DVD's)felixzelphyn
Yep, I have a LightScribe DVD Supermulti Drive/ DVD and CD Writer.
I'd recommend doing the Steam registration/install, anyway... I did that with my Collector's Edition just to make sure it was fully patched and such.Makari
I'll try that when the disk actually shows up on my computer...
1337_ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 1337_ownage
Member since 2006 • 1668 Posts
have you tryin to my computer and starting it from there?
or it might just be slow.... took a while for bf2142 to load the first time
daweguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 daweguy
Member since 2004 • 177 Posts
I had same problem with Gothic 2 when i tried to install it for second time . I got really pissed, and now it's collecting dust somewhere. Damned game!
corky842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 corky842
Member since 2004 • 257 Posts
It sounds like you might have a defective disc. Try going to the store and getting a replacement.
Taalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Taalon
I was thinking it might be a defective disc but it worked on my mom's Mac through Bootcamp and it worked on my dad's XP laptop.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
Why not place the disc in your dads laptop and run a discscan for errors. If it shows up to be flawless, maybe there is someone elses computer on which you can try it. If the majority of the other computers do run the disc, it is pretty safe to day you need a new drive.

For some reasons unknown to me, I have the same problem with a different disc. When I load up need for speed, it shows on all my network computers except for my main rig. I had to put the disc in to one of my computers and access it throught the network... I really have no clue wy this is. The disc is fine, the discplayers are in good shape - it just doesn't want to run.

If you tested the disc and there is no option for you to access it through a network, I suggest you return it and asked for a new copy.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Makari"]I'd recommend doing the Steam registration/install, anyway... I did that with my Collector's Edition just to make sure it was fully patched and such.Taalon

This is a bit late, but what I meant was you can use your CD key on Steam. I have the DM Limited Edition (from DoS wee!), and I never actually put my DVD into the drive to install the game... I just went into Steam, Games -> Activate A Product On Steam, and entered in my CD key off the back of the manual. It worked, and it let me just download/patch the entire game (~3.5GB SP, 2GB MP) off Steam and it runs from there now.
Taalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Taalon
[QUOTE="Taalon"][QUOTE="Makari"]I'd recommend doing the Steam registration/install, anyway... I did that with my Collector's Edition just to make sure it was fully patched and such.Makari

This is a bit late, but what I meant was you can use your CD key on Steam. I have the DM Limited Edition (from DoS wee!), and I never actually put my DVD into the drive to install the game... I just went into Steam, Games -> Activate A Product On Steam, and entered in my CD key off the back of the manual. It worked, and it let me just download/patch the entire game (~3.5GB SP, 2GB MP) off Steam and it runs from there now.

I just bought the game again - didn't work either. I'm going to take them back, and try that out.
bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts
[QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="Taalon"][QUOTE="Makari"]I'd recommend doing the Steam registration/install, anyway... I did that with my Collector's Edition just to make sure it was fully patched and such.Taalon

I just bought the game again - didn't work either. I'm going to take them back, and try that out.

I don't think they take back used PC Games.
Ai8en35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ai8en35
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Sorry Mate but Dark Messiah only runs on XP, look at the back of the box on the requirements
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

Sorry Mate but Dark Messiah only runs on XP, look at the back of the box on the requirementsAi8en35

Erm... it runs just fine on Vista. It just isn't mentioned on the back before Vista wasn't out when Dark Messiah was released. It's the same thing with every XP era game.

And why on earth did you buy two copies of the game? Good luck returning opened PC games.