D&D-based PC games... few and far between...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 df853
Member since 2004 • 1433 Posts

What are some D&D-based computer games out there that are good? And I am talking about not the super old ones made for DOS, but rather ones that have ok graphics, and can be run on a more modern computer, such as one with WinXP.

Here are ones that I already know about:

• Temple of Elemental Evil
  • Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor

I sorta liked Pool of Radiance, but it got repetitive. I liked Temple of Elemental Evil A LOT , despite its many bugs. It's too bad Troika went outta business.

I am looking for a game that is something along those lines, and I really really want it to be turn-based. More people probably know about Baldur's Gate, so I can use that as an example. Is there some game out there just like Baldur's Gate or the games mentioned above (and it has to be turn-based, unlike Baldur's Gate)?

Surely some hardcore gamers can answer this...

Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts

I am looking for a game that is something along those lines, and I really really want it to be turn-based. More people probably know about Baldur's Gate, so I can use that as an example. Is there some game out there just like Baldur's Gate or the games mentioned above (and it has to be turn-based, unlike Baldur's Gate)?

df853

Technically speaking, the Baldur's Gate series is turn-based. Same with the Icewind Dale series and Neverwinter Nights series. The D&D-themed game that doesn't use turn-based gameplay mechanics would be Dragonshard...but that's because it's an RTS game. With BG/IWD/NWN, the turns are all played out in 'real-time' (i.e. they are all strung together on a timer), however, to really see the turns, enable the option to pause combat at the end of every turn.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

Basically, your choices nowadays are really limited.

All I can recommend is NWN 1 & 2 and their expansions. The online community for these games are huge and theres a ton of usercreated content.

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
You might be better off just playing some actual D&D these days. Maybe we'll see a D&D PC game revival after 4th edition releases.
df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 df853
[QUOTE="df853"]

Ein-7919

Technically speaking, the Baldur's Gate series is turn-based. Same with the Icewind Dale series and Neverwinter Nights series. The D&D-themed game that doesn't use turn-based gameplay mechanics would be Dragonshard...but that's because it's an RTS game. With BG/IWD/NWN, the turns are all played out in 'real-time' (i.e. they are all strung together on a timer), however, to really see the turns, enable the option to pause combat at the end of every turn.

Baldur's Gate and the other games you mentioned are technically turn-based. You are technically correct, the best kind of correct... and when I played through Baldur's Gate, I used the pauses, but to me that just seemed to damage the flow of the game. When the game pauses, all your characters freeze in motion and it's like the game comes to a complete halt and waits for you to make your moves before you unpause. I just didn't like it this way as much.

With a turn-based game that does not play out in real-time, your characters still seem "alive" while it waits for you to make a decision. By that, I mean they still appear to be breathing or moving slightly, or waiting on you to do something. The trees still move, the background remains dynamic. And it just overall keeps it from seeming choppy. With Baldur's Gate it only felt like it flowed well if you didn't have auto-pauses on. With a game that is designed to be turn-based and not played out real-time, I don't generally feel like the flow of the game is degraded.

Having said that, Baldur's Gate I & II are sweet games. I beat both of them. I played Icewind Dale halfway through. I never played Neverwinter Nights though. Thank you for the suggestions.

Any one else have some suggestions no one in here has thought of yet?

df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 df853

You might be better off just playing some actual D&D these days. Maybe we'll see a D&D PC game revival after 4th edition releases.Alaris83

That would be awesome. I hope that happens.

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

You might be better off just playing some actual D&D these days. Maybe we'll see a D&D PC game revival after 4th edition releases.Alaris83

I am hoping that we get to see some good DnD games come out - either from existing franchise or something new.

Also DnD are coming out with an online service which should be interesting

LINK

http://au.pc.gamespy.com/articles/867/867920p1.html

Siofen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Siofen
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

Neverwinter Nights is a great choice you get ALOT of bang for your buck for the game and all it's expansions, 20$. I've been playing the game often for over 5 years now and it's still as fun as it's always been, the community is probably one of the best for any games out there, and theres a sea of content out there, and premium modules that add more single player experience.

The next patch bioware is going to give us, will add ridable horses and 1 new prestige class, and MUCH MUCH more.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Knights of the Old Republic.. Though its Starwars, it uses a modified version of the DND 3rd edition rules.. And for what its worth I would think any DnD lover would love this game, even if your not a fan of Starwars.
LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
Im playing thru Neverwinter Nights: Diamond right now and am shocked of how good a 2002 game is.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58543 Posts

Im playing thru Neverwinter Nights: Diamond right now and am shocked of how good a 2002 game is.LTZH

ya it really is one of my favorites. Of course, it was the first DnD game I ever played.

The expansions are extremely high quality too.