crysis + physics card =???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Deamon321
Member since 2005 • 1568 Posts
crysis + physics card= ownage or no ownage? ok so If crysis supported a physics card alll of the stuff like the next gen physics system and stuff would run smoother but would this mean theyd optimize it poorly for normal CPU's? do you guys think it would be a good thing for crysis to support a physics card or not?
sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts

No, the physics card would act normally like a cpu in calculating the physics, to relieve stress off of the cpu, but adds more indepth detail at most times (games like GRAW 1, 2, and Cell Factor), so this can cause a fps decrease, cause it means more "stuff" to be rendered and calculated by both cpu and gpu.

Although, I highly do not think the game will be supporting the Aegia physix card.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
I think its better that they stick with their own physics engine. The cards simply aren't widespread enough, and judging by the few games that use it the thing its not all that useful.
Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts
Not nedeed at this stage. The core 2 duo processor is powerful enough for it at this time. Maybe the next generation of games will need psu's, but then again cpu's are getting ever more powerful. The upcoming intel core 2 design will feature 8 cores as standard, and it will run at 4+ Ghz.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#5 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
we've seen from graw that using the physics card actually decreases performance because the gpu has to draw more objects. So I'd rather a bit more simplistic physics and better performance than over the top physics and bad performance.
Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts
Crytek said crysis wont rupport one because they saw no performance increases
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

Crytek said crysis wont rupport one because they saw no performance increasesTerrorantula

Yep, Crytek said that they won't support physics cards.

delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 delirin
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

I also posted on this subject at the crytek forums... but I really think Ageia is a piece of gimmickey crap so I'll post here too ;)

The developer interviews of crysis show a good deal of care was put into the physics engine. almost everything is destructable, trees can be blown to bits from many points, fences can be knocked down etc etc

Intel worked closeley with crytec in helping them optamize their software for multiple cpu cores...
Right now, and for at least the near future, the Ageia card is pretty much worthless. I call it a gimmick because it isn't optamized to take advantage of current hardware... and that pretty much means everything the ageia card can do, can be done without it... and possibly better, with a multi-core CPU.

Ageia makes it's money off of uninformed end-users in giving away it's physics support to game developers for free... leaving you, the pc gamer, to foot the bill of an un-neccisary card.

Anyway.... sorry for going on, but I strongly reccomend against supporting proprietary crap like this. The only reason I'd justify buying it to myself would be if I was a hardcore Unreal fan and wanted to turn all the options on for unreal tournament 3 regardless of how cheated by the engine I'd felt.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

crysis + physics card= ownage or no ownage? ok so If crysis supported a physics card alll of the stuff like the next gen physics system and stuff would run smoother but would this mean theyd optimize it poorly for normal CPU's? do you guys think it would be a good thing for crysis to support a physics card or not?Deamon321

i don't think so - Ageia sucks

dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts
I saw a video somewhere that compared GRAW with a physics card and without a physics card. The difference was very small.