CPU Temperature Too High?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Custodian405

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Custodian405
Member since 2003 • 1041 Posts

Ok, i just upgraded my PC. I now have a Q9400 on a Gigabyte ep45 UD3P MB. Im using the stock CPU heatsink and Fan and only have the one main case fan besides that. Stock Intel thermal paste as well. Im getting CPU temp readings of 42-45 Celcius (107-114 F) on idle. Is this normal? Im not planning to OC it but it jumps up to like 55+ C when i run a game. Im already planning to get the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste but i hear that just lowers the temperature by 5 or so degrees on avarage.

Are there other quick and cheap solutions to lowering the CPU temp? I don't have a lot of money so i don't feel like spending lots on a water cooling system or something.

Scientist8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 Scientist8
Member since 2007 • 165 Posts

Mine reachs 42 at the highest during gaming so if yours is like that for idle it may be a bit too hot. If you have room you could just get more fans and place them in strategic locations or even getting a new case, that makes a big difference sometimes. Unless of course you like your case, just get more fans.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#3 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

I wouldn't say thats bad. My Q6600 @ 2.99 idles around 40 with an aftermarket fan/heatsink, and stock intel coolers aren't the best so I'd be happy I guess.

AzNs3nSaT1On

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 AzNs3nSaT1On
Member since 2005 • 921 Posts
your temperature is totally fine, don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about.
Custodian405

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Custodian405
Member since 2003 • 1041 Posts

Alright, thanks guys. i guess im not gonna go overboard with the fans, maybe just one more or something.

Cyphus07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cyphus07
Member since 2007 • 189 Posts

Ok, i just upgraded my PC. I now have a Q9400 on a Gigabyte ep45 UD3P MB. Im using the stock CPU heatsink and Fan and only have the one main case fan besides that. Stock Intel thermal paste as well. Im getting CPU temp readings of 42-45 Celcius (107-114 F) on idle. Is this normal? Im not planning to OC it but it jumps up to like 55+ C when i run a game. Im already planning to get the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste but i hear that just lowers the temperature by 5 or so degrees on avarage.

Are there other quick and cheap solutions to lowering the CPU temp? I don't have a lot of money so i don't feel like spending lots on a water cooling system or something.

Custodian405

Well.. I have that processor, the Q9400 - on a Evga 750i sli ftw board. I have a cooler master hyper z600r cooler w/fan - my cpu runs at 26 idle and 33-35 under load. That is just over 100F under load. Your temps are fine, the chip has a thermal limit of 71.4 Celsius. Since you're getting toward that limit and might want to lower the heat a bit to have a nice margin of error - might want to upgrade that cpu heatsink/fan to something a little bigger. Look around newegg and read the reviews - see what people are buying. Many of them are reasonably priced, don't need the best thing - just something to lower those temps a bit more. Technically you don't need it. The cooler your run your system the longer it will last (so they say) - 20-30$ will lower the temp to better lvl's. Imo - worth the investment. Good luck!