Could disabling hyper-threading possibly give me better performance?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 RushKing
Member since 2009 • 1785 Posts

My notebook contains a i7 3610QM and a GTX 660m. The 3610QM uses 4 cores and 8 hyper-threads. If I were to play a game that only utilizes 4 cores, would that mean only half of the processing power is getting utilized? If so, would disabling hyper-threading let the game scale better and therefore run better without hyper-threading?

Just curious

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
no
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Technically, you could get an increase in performance for gaming. But less than 1% in nearly all cases. So.... No.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

No, hyper-threading is there to give you higher preformance. Turning it off is like removing a feature that will only really help you, very rarely will it hurt you.

Hyperthreading isnt there to give you more preformance. Hyperthreading is there to give you more effecient use of your cores.

Blade8Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blade8Aus
Member since 2006 • 1819 Posts

Technically, you could get an increase in performance for gaming. But less than 1% in nearly all cases. So.... No.

XaosII

This.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

No, hyper-threading is there to give you higher preformance. Turning it off is like removing a feature that will only really help you, very rarely will it hurt you.

Hyperthreading isnt there to give you more preformance. Hyperthreading is there to give you more effecient use of your cores.

way2funny
Depends how it's implemented. If you have 4 cores and 8 threads and the software thinks you have 8 cores it can treat the extra threads as cores and give them a large load which can cause problems since they're not actual cores.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 way2funny

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

kraken2109

Depends how it's implemented. If you have 4 cores and 8 threads and the software thinks you have 8 cores it can treat the extra threads as cores and give them a large load which can cause problems since they're not actual cores.

Depends howwhatis implemented? The real benefit of hyperthreading is when a core has extra clock cycles waiting on one thread, so in the meantime it can execute some things on another thread with context switching that isn't as costly.

Actually, if your software has 8 threads and each thread is a large load (cpu @ ~100%) then you will see the benefits of hyperthreading moreso than any other scenario

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="way2funny"]

way2funny

Depends howwhatis implemented? The real benefit of hyperthreading is when a core has extra clock cycles waiting on one thread, so in the meantime it can execute some things on another thread with context switching that isn't as costly.

Actually, if your software has 8 threads and each thread is a large load (cpu @ ~100%) then you will see the benefits of hyperthreading moreso than any other scenario

It depends on how the program is threaded. A hyperthread isn't a core, it is just running on what's left of a core. So if the core is at full load whatever is being run on the hyperthread won't run properly which will cause slowdown. Pretty sure i read that on this very forum actually.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It depends on how the program is threaded. A hyperthread isn't a core, it is just running on what's left of a core. So if the core is at full load whatever is being run on the hyperthread won't run properly which will cause slowdown. Pretty sure i read that on this very forum actually.kraken2109

I've seen what you are describing in large scale production apps. Usually custom software we are developing for a customer. For home use stuff like games on an i7 though you'd probably want to keep it on.

-Byshop

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"] Depends how it's implemented. If you have 4 cores and 8 threads and the software thinks you have 8 cores it can treat the extra threads as cores and give them a large load which can cause problems since they're not actual cores.kraken2109

It depends on how the program is threaded. A hyperthread isn't a core, it is just running on what's left of a core. So if the core is at full load whatever is being run on the hyperthread won't run properly which will cause slowdown. Pretty sure i read that on this very forum actually.

It's good.

3d programs all benefit from the HT cores nicely, same for computational programs.

Even folding at home is sped up.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-131697.html

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 way2funny

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="way2funny"]

JigglyWiggly_

It's good.

3d programs all benefit from the HT cores nicely, same for computational programs.

Even folding at home is sped up.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-131697.html

Heavily threaded high load programs benefit the most from hyperthreading.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hyperthreading-technology-explained/

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
Back in the Pentium 4 days, disabling HT seemed to improve performance by a good bit, just because the P4 sucked that much. Correct me if I'm wrong.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JigglyWiggly_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is7frW9Z-rw

nah

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts