Copy/paste games between SSD and storage drive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jcbullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jcbullen
Member since 2008 • 865 Posts

I've got a 120GB SSD for my boot drive and all of my programs as well as a 1TB storage drive. When I install games, I install them to the SSD. My question is, can I install all of my games to my storage drive, and then just cut/paste them over into my SSD when I want to play them without creating any issues?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Depends on the game, some games whine about the registry.
jcbullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jcbullen
Member since 2008 • 865 Posts

Meh I guess I'll try it with my library of games, and just uninstall/reinstall any stubborn games. I already tested it with a couple (Starcraft 2 and DiRT3 via Steam) and they worked just fine.

scottahuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 scottahuch
Member since 2003 • 1580 Posts

As far as I'm aware, it should work for every game you have on Steam...

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Meh I guess I'll try it with my library of games, and just uninstall/reinstall any stubborn games. I already tested it with a couple (Starcraft 2 and DiRT3 via Steam) and they worked just fine.

jcbullen
You'll never have problems with Blizz games, even if you copy the game folders to another PC that never had that particular Blizz game installed.
kuabarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kuabarra
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts

if you want to avoid registry issues just install them on the SSD first, them move them to the storage drive when you aren't going to play them for a while

Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

Use SteamTool. I have the same hard drive configuration as yourself and I have been using it for quite some time. Basically it lets you transfer games between your hard drive and ssd, and then makes a shortcut to the folder in your steam directory so that steam thinks the content is installed where it should be. I don't know if it will work with non-steam games but it is worth a shot. Find it here