Concinve me that the RTS genre is not dying.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I'm a big fan of the RTS genre and have been playing such games since Warcraft came out. Now there were a lot of RTSs but now they seem to be becoming less and less. Except the frequent Total War games, which I dislike because of the lack of base-building factor, there are really a few RTS games that are going to come out in the near future. Basically there's like one good RTS per year and the rest are just quickies that don't bring neither joy nor money for the devs. Now that most franchises are dead and StarCraft takes years to develop I don't see what am I going to play until 2012. There are really a few devs that invest in the genre and I realized that this year I'm expecting only Shogun Total War (which I'm not going to play) and nothing else. And even if there are any RTSs, they aren't like the old ones where you base-build and attack later with strength. Do you know any good RTSs coming out in the near future?
mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

If it was a dying genre, then SC2 would not have sold the incredible numbers it did. Although I agree with your general points that there are not many high quality titles per year, I think SC2's success proves that people still want to play the games. I'm happy with a very occasional and excellent RTS game and am not always in search of a new one, but most RTS fans might feel differently.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

well DoW 2 Retribution comes out in a few months, it looks good, (a fair bit better then the others in the series named"II")

While Im unsure if it will be an RTS game, Dungeons is our tight around the coener (like 4-11 Feb) Altho from what I hear it is less Dungeon keeper, and more Tower defence).

Then ther is the Shogun TW game... those are the ones I remember on the top of my head, all within a 3 month period, so yeah...

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Crimsader

If it was a dying genre, then SC2 would not have sold the incredible numbers it did. Although I agree with your general points that there are not many high quality titles per year, I think SC2's success proves that people still want to play the games. I'm happy with a very occasional and excellent RTS game and am not always in search of a new one, but most RTS fans might feel differently.

mkaliaz
Well yes, but that's probably because the fans have been waiting more than a decade for the game and... this is Blizzard. If it wasn't them I don't know what would have happened with the genre. Thing is. I feel that RTS isn't a mainstream anymore. I mean it was just StarCraft 2. For the whole 2011. If it wasn't it, the RTS award would have went to Sims again.
mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

[QUOTE="mkaliaz"]

Crimsader

Well yes, but that's probably because the fans have been waiting more than a decade for the game and... this is Blizzard. If it wasn't them I don't know what would have happened with the genre. Thing is. I feel that RTS isn't a mainstream anymore. I mean it was just StarCraft 2. For the whole 2011. If it wasn't it, the RTS award would have went to Sims again.

LOL, I forgot about the sims award thing. That was disgraceful. You make some good points though. It might not be mainstream anymore. I can only speak from my own experience, but I am not that interested in the genre anymore. I still buy Steam games occasionally when they are heavily discount, but they usually go unplayed. My interest in the genre has definetely decreased in the last 10 years.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

With Blizzard holding standards so high, it seems like everything else has lost its charm.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

I don't need anything else besides SC2 and Total War Games.

Rawtheory333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rawtheory333
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts

RTS's require you the think hard constantly to win. Most gamers want to shut their brains off when they play games and as the world has gotten more dumbed down by deteriorating education systems and the dominace of console gaming and the watered down effect its had on innovation, its no surprise that RTS development has suffered and most people look elsewhere for their gaming needs.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

RTS's require you the think hard constantly to win. Most gamers want to shut their brains off when they play games and as the world has gotten more dumbed down by deteriorating education systems and the dominace of console gaming and the watered down effect its had on innovation, its no surprise that RTS development has suffered and most people look elsewhere for their gaming needs.

Rawtheory333

Rofl, pc fanboys are funny, they love to blame all there platforms problems on other things.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Rawtheory333"]

warmaster670

Rofl, pc fanboys are funny, they love to blame all there platforms problems on other things.

He is right you know....nobody wants to think anymore. I remember the days when action and adventure games had crazy puzzles in them, now everybody want their hands held so they can go kill more things. And, i know it isn't an RTS, but look at Mass Effect 2....sold incredibly well, people love it, it has an amazing story and setting, yet a large portion of players didnt complete the story...they probably got bored with dialogue and story telling that all they could think about was "when is the next fight?"
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

RTS is dying, and RTT is taking its place. The only difference is RTT minimises basebuilding (Company of Heroes) or entirely eliminates it (Dawn of War 2).

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Where ideas and money can be made, it will not die.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Crimsader
[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="Rawtheory333"]

wis3boi

He is right you know....nobody wants to think anymore. I remember the days when action and adventure games had crazy puzzles in them, now everybody want their hands held so they can go kill more things. And, i know it isn't an RTS, but look at Mass Effect 2....sold incredibly well, people love it, it has an amazing story and setting, yet a large portion of players didnt complete the story...they probably got bored with dialogue and story telling that all they could think about was "when is the next fight?"

I also agree on this. Most people seek a relaxing game to play after a day at work. RTSs do require focusing , time and thinking. Well one of my favorite RTS studios was Relic, it had done some really good games, but you know the main developer passed away and I don't see them back on the scene any time soon. The bad part about Blizzard is that they devote more to the MMOs and develop their RTSs very slowly.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
This year alone Dow retribution Shogun 2 Age of empires online Dota 2 Tropico 4 Sword of the stars 2 Men of War assault squad Then there is the 2nd SC2 expansion in 2012
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
This thread is facepalm worthy. There are as many RTS games coming out as any other genre.
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#16 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

If anything, last year showed that RTS's are still one of the strongest PC gaming genres around. Both StarCraft II and Sid Meier's Cilivization V were big successes (although I realise Civ V is turn-based, it's still a strategy game). Plus there was also Napoleon: Total War. I would be tempted to say RTS's have never looked better.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#17 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Starcraft sold tons, Total War series is aamazing, dont know what your talking about.

not to mention the starcraft2 expansions coming and also Shogun Total War2!

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Crimsader
[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]This thread is facepalm worthy. There are as many RTS games coming out as any other genre.

No, this last sentence is facepalm worthy.
ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

Starcraft 2.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]This thread is facepalm worthy. There are as many RTS games coming out as any other genre.Crimsader

I gotta agree with him for a change, this thread is facepalm worthy.. there are still RTS around these days and some very good ones. Donno what rock you been living under.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GeneralShowzer

RTS is dying, and RTT is taking its place. The only difference is RTT minimises basebuilding (Company of Heroes) or entirely eliminates it (Dawn of War 2).

Whiteblade999
Not really. For COH you have Men of War or Theatre of War, which are both hardcore RTS. COH is more of an accessible mainstream RTS.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="Crimsader"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]This thread is facepalm worthy. There are as many RTS games coming out as any other genre.kozzy1234

I gotta agree with him for a change, this thread is facepalm worthy.. there are still RTS around these days and some very good ones. Donno what rock you been living under.

Yea man, like what the hell. Just because an RTS doesn't have a multi-million dollar marketing campaign doesn't mean it doesn't exist I stand by that there are as many RTS coming out as there are games of the other genres
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Can anyone list the good RTS that came out last year? Other than SC2 I can't think of any really great ones. Note that I'm not counting Total War games in the traditional sense of RTS since it features heavy TBS elements.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GeneralShowzer
Can anyone list the good RTS that came out last year? Other than SC2 I can't think of any really great ones. Note that I'm not counting Total War games in the traditional sense of RTS since it features heavy TBS elements.F1_2004
I don't really have a complete list. I remember Lionheart : The Kings Crusade Victoria II CIvilization 5 Settlers 7 Supreme Commander 2 Starcraft II Kings Bounty : Crossworlds All great strategy games from last year.
V_Rapt0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 V_Rapt0r
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

All the people who say this thread is "facepalm worthy" most likely play fps shooters as their main genre. I think the rts genre is terrible right now. I have never liked Starcraft. For starters, the original Starcraft got in the way of Blizzard making Warcraft: Orcs and Humans sequels.......which was extremely disappointing that they didn't choose to stick with the game that made them famous in the first place.

Starcraft never appealed to me at all. Starcraft II is dumb as well. And, oh man, I can't even tell you how much Blizzard turning original Warcraft into an MMORPG makes me feel lol. I realize WoW is popular. I even played it for awhile. But an MMORPG cannot hold even a fraction of the fun and depth that an rts has.

Every remake of every RTS game series has been worse and worse and worse.......and now it is almost dead. Command and Conquer 4 was epic fail, Age of Empires III was worse than II, Warcraft 3 added in heroes as a mainstay in your army,basically killing the army concept (one man armies are dumb imo)and numerous other rts games have been applying army limits and going towards "tactics" instead of strategy.

Overall the rts genre is in the WORST state it's ever been in since about 1993. Since 1994 was the year that the best rts ideas were released, and it's been in free fall ever since. The Total War series came close, but even they don't have base building or resource gathering per-say. Just a sad, sad, state right now.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#27 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
In short it is, it has been since the Homeworld series IMO, which was the last truly revolutionary RTS. Anything of late (SC2 included) is just a fresh coat of pain on a disintegrating fence.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#28 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

as long Relic keeps putting out an RTS/Expansion a year i'm happy.

What I really want is a World in Conflict sequel. Shame that will never happen.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

why do pc gamers here not appreciate what they have?

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

anyway, games that only appeal to "nerds" are pretty much dead. gaming has grown much more mainstream, and the games reflect it.

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="Rawtheory333"]

wis3boi

ME2 isn't a good example... considering it's the embodiment of a dumbed down game.
jasopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jasopan
Member since 2006 • 2360 Posts
Like everyone has already mentioned; Starcraft 2 TC you fail period
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I'm wondering why it is that RTS fans don't look at the older ones they haven't tried. There are other RTS settings besides war and space.

GamersGate sells some older RTS games, as well as Impulse.

nbessiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nbessiner
Member since 2009 • 731 Posts

Maybe, just maybe a new Warcraft game will come out, but probably not :(

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I'll just copy paste my post from another thread.

Only a list composed of recent titles:

• Demigod
  • Battleforge
  • Sins of Solar Empire
  • Empire: Total War
  • Stormrise
  • DoW II
  • CoH: Tales of Valor
  • Codename Panzers: Cold War
  • Battlestations: Pacific
  • Age of Booty (capcom/2009, pirate RTS game, no joke)
  • Perimeter II
  • Theatre of War II
  • Kingdom under Fire II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • World in Conflict: Soviet Assault
  • League of Legends
  • Tropico 3
  • Men of War

• Starcraft II
  • Anno 1404: Venice
  • DoW II: Chaos Rising
  • Supreme Commander 2
  • Napoleon: Total War
  • Ruse
  • The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
  • C&C4

Sure, 2010 was a bit poor compared to 2009, but it's still a good, varied list. Though some suck, like C&C4, there are peeps out there that enjoyed it. And let's not forget about 2008, 2007, etc., etc. And classics, ..

The RTS genre is doing fine as it is, sometimes it has poor years, sometimes fine years. You can't expect anything to be successful each time, especially RTS games.

And i loved AoE3 far more then AoE2.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kozzy1234

All the people who say this thread is "facepalm worthy" most likely play fps shooters as their main genre. I think the rts genre is terrible right now. I have never liked Starcraft. For starters, the original Starcraft got in the way of Blizzard making Warcraft: Orcs and Humans sequels.......which was extremely disappointing that they didn't choose to stick with the game that made them famous in the first place.

Starcraft never appealed to me at all. Starcraft II is dumb as well. And, oh man, I can't even tell you how much Blizzard turning original Warcraft into an MMORPG makes me feel lol. I realize WoW is popular. I even played it for awhile. But an MMORPG cannot hold even a fraction of the fun and depth that an rts has.

Every remake of every RTS game series has been worse and worse and worse.......and now it is almost dead. Command and Conquer 4 was epic fail, Age of Empires III was worse than II, Warcraft 3 added in heroes as a mainstay in your army,basically killing the army concept (one man armies are dumb imo)and numerous other rts games have been applying army limits and going towards "tactics" instead of strategy.

Overall the rts genre is in the WORST state it's ever been in since about 1993. Since 1994 was the year that the best rts ideas were released, and it's been in free fall ever since. The Total War series came close, but even they don't have base building or resource gathering per-say. Just a sad, sad, state right now.

V_Rapt0r

RPGS are my main genre actually. But I enjoy Starcraft2, Company Of Heroes, Total War series and other strategy games like Kings Bounty, Solar Empire, Civilization5, Tropico3, Settlers 7, etc.. that have come out the last while.

As for all the bad talk on starcraft.. I enjoy it. Do I like it as much as Warcraft1/2? No.. I personally prefer the RTS Warcraft games, but that doesnt mean starcraft or starcraft2 are bad games, they are actually very good, even if they are not my personal favs.

Cruxis27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Cruxis27
Member since 2006 • 2057 Posts

I'd like to think RTS is like a zombie. It was alive once, it may have died a while ago, but it will always be around.

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts
Dunno only RTS I was looking forward too after aoe3 was starcraft 2. Thats the only rts I need right now and the expansion will come out next year I believe. Dunno I think RTS's are doing fine just most developers don't know what makes a good rts unfortunately.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

The RTS genre is in the same state as a lot of other genres, i.e. "proportionally speakkng, a lot of crap and some golden bits". It isn't "dying" any more than the rest of the gaming world.

As for traditional RTSs... they're fun, but they don't do much for me. They don't have the depth potential of grand strat/turn-based strat and they don't have the realism/cinematic potential of RTTs. Honestly, I'm glad that modern RTSs are choosing directions and expanding there - last time I checked, diversification of a genre is a sign that it's, you know, alive.

XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

Technically, tactics and strategy are basically the same thing.

Strategy: A Strategy is a long term plan of action designed to achieve a particular goal.
Tactic: A plan for attaining a particular goal.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts
Starcraft 2 will be played for a long time, other than that - I'm sure we'll see some epic titles in the future; I do agree that RTSs have come down lately, people now are more into action games with RPG ellements
V_Rapt0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 V_Rapt0r
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

The only half-way decent game released within the past two or three years with both base building and resource gathering (i.e. classic rts) is Starcraft II. That's it. And if you don't like futuristic settings........well.........you're screwed.

Some people may call it diversification, I call it the complete and utter destruction of agenre past, that used to befun.