Computer waking up randomly

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Okay, so over the last week or so, I purchased a new computer for my schoolwork. It's an Asus Q551L.

Everything on this thing works amazingly well, except for the fact that it can wake itself up randomly without my telling it to do so from sleep mode. The way I put it to sleep is I shut the lid of the laptop and it goes into sleep mode. For the most part, it stays asleep. However, sometimes, it wakes up after 20 minutes. I think there is some sort of executable in the background that keeps waking the system up because of how timed it is; almost always 20 minutes on the mark.

So, I did some research and found that I can, within the command prompt, type in powercfg /lastwake to see what turned it on last. It tells me it's the powerbutton. Something I know that I didn't push.
I also tried powercfg -devicequery wake_armed to see if there is anything that could possibly wake up my laptop. I disabled everything listed and even went through my entire device manager's list and disabled any devices that had permission to wake up my laptop.

I also tried powercfg -waketimers. It did list something here that I have not been able to find as the command prompt doesn't let me scroll right or left in order to read the whole thing. However, I disbaled all waketimers through my power options.

Still, my laptop wakes up. I'm kind of at a loss of what to do here. I have 64bit Windows 8.1, if that helps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@soolkiki said:

Okay, so over the last week or so, I purchased a new computer for my schoolwork. It's an Asus Q551L.

Everything on this thing works amazingly well, except for the fact that it can wake itself up randomly without my telling it to do so from sleep mode. The way I put it to sleep is I shut the lid of the laptop and it goes into sleep mode. For the most part, it stays asleep. However, sometimes, it wakes up after 20 minutes. I think there is some sort of executable in the background that keeps waking the system up because of how timed it is; almost always 20 minutes on the mark.

So, I did some research and found that I can, within the command prompt, type in powercfg /lastwake to see what turned it on last. It tells me it's the powerbutton. Something I know that I didn't push.

I also tried powercfg -devicequery wake_armed to see if there is anything that could possibly wake up my laptop. I disabled everything listed and even went through my entire device manager's list and disabled any devices that had permission to wake up my laptop.

I also tried powercfg -waketimers. It did list something here that I have not been able to find as the command prompt doesn't let me scroll right or left in order to read the whole thing. However, I disbaled all waketimers through my power options.

Still, my laptop wakes up. I'm kind of at a loss of what to do here. I have 64bit Windows 8.1, if that helps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

With sleep do you mean hybernate, because just sleep will make it wake up from practically anything

You can set the action to hybernate in the powermanagement panel.

You can also look in the event viewer what actually made it wake up

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Try check if its the ASUS BIOS updater thing.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@GTR12: @commander: No, I haven't tried hybernate. Maybe I should. I just know that on my old laptop, sleep mode was very stable and I could let it sleep for days without it requiring me to check on it.

I will also try and check under the bios, thanks. IF this gets resolved, I'll let ya'll know what I did.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

My laptop does that too, wakes up for no reason sometimes... maybe just a pushed by accident on a wireless mouse, I don't know.