This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dagamemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

#1 Dagamemonkey
Member since 2005 • 1480 Posts

I have an Alienware Area 51 ALX desktop.

I've noticed a noise that sometimes comes from the tower, a humming (that's normal I think) but also like a clicking noise as well that can be heard from time to time. The computer itself seems to be performing just like it should with nothing unusual happening. Does anyone have any idea about what exactly it could be?

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
clicking is usually a bad sign. usually something wrong with hard drive and it might dead any moment.
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
Agreed...back up your data asap. If you can, open your case and listen closely when you hear the clicking to see if you can tell where it's coming from. There is a small chance that it is just a busted fan or something, but clicking usually indicated HD problems.
Elv0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Elv0
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts

Clicking usaully comes from the Hard drive, you should probably open the case and take a look inside. I had a clicking noise to so i opened the case and just Vacuumed and basically cleaned it, no idea if the cleaning helped tho but atleast the clicking stopped :P

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
if it's from the hard drive then vacuuming will do nothing because it's the inside of the HD that is causing it. Vacuuming could help if the sound is coming from a fan that is clogged.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Hurry up before you see this:

1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure

shred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 shred
Member since 2003 • 268 Posts

I agree, a humming sound could very possibly just be a fan, but the clicking will be the hard drive. I strongly suggest you get another hard drive ASAP and back up your data that is on the hard drive you have now.

MrUnSavory1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 MrUnSavory1
Member since 2005 • 777 Posts

Hardware questions belong in the hardware forum. Please read the forum rules before posting.

l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#9 l0ve
Member since 2005 • 3178 Posts
On my 2005 pc my hard drive made these crackaly staticky noises all the time. Well so far so good. Although I now mainly use my laptop.