Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

So I recently installed some PNY 4GB ram into my computer to help relieve some stress while rendering with CS6 Premiere Pro. Well it cut my render time in half but when it gets close to finishing my computer crashes and goes to blue screen. I switched Ram slots and the same thing keeps happening. Took the Ram out and no issues. I was able to render my video fine it just took longer.

In task manager my cpu usage is getting to 100% and Ram usage is getting to 5GB. I have 8GB but Windows 7 uses like 3GB so all my available Ram is being used to render.

My HDD is also making loud buzzing noises and I think it's about to fail on me so that needs to be replaced.

Here is my situation. I obviously need to upgrade something....I just don't know what. Do I need a new CPU to help speed things up? 8GB of additional Ram? (I would get the same as I have now instead of cheap Best Buy Ram) Or do I need to get a new HDD and pair it with an SSD to put my OS and CS6 on there?

I have a $250 budget and HDD is a must I think. Upgrading a CPU and HDD would take all of it. I could possibly get 8GB of Ram and a new HDD with a SSD for that amount. I just don't know which would be more helpful. (I also game on this computer no problem, Crisis 2 runs on Ultra, my video editing speed is lacking)

Here are my Specs. Any help would be appreciated!

X6 1100T@3.3ghz

HD 6970

8GB Corsair Ram

850watt PSU

1TB HDD @7200rpm

Windows 7 64bit

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

My guess would be the HDD as well. However, I would also double check your temps. When you're rendering, it's much more demanding than games are, and so there are obviously going to be higher temps. CoreTemp or HWMoniter are great programs for this (I find CoreTemp more reliable).

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Star67

My temps are in the 50's in idle and will get in the 60's while playing games or rendering. Just using Catalyst to check.

But yes the HDD needs to be replaced for sure I agree! And I will check out CoreTemp

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Yeah, that's not bad at all for rendering. My guess from what you've said then is the HDD. Noises from it are usually a good indicator haha I think there are also programs that can tell you the health of your HDD, though I forget what they are called.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Star67

I'm exporting a video now that is 10 minutes long and it is going to take an hour to finish. I have task manager opened up and my CPU usage is around 30%-40% with an occasional big spike to like 80%.

My Ram usage is getting to 4.92GB so it is using all my available Ram. Which is why I think my CPU is spiking. I'm really leaning towards getting a new HDD with 8GB of additional Ram and possibly and SSD.

And as of writing this my CPU is staying at 90% and above.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@Star67 said:

My temps are in the 50's in idle and will get in the 60's while playing games or rendering. Just using Catalyst to check.

But yes the HDD needs to be replaced for sure I agree! And I will check out CoreTemp

You running stock cooling with that cpu? 50's for idle is pretty high.
If that cpu is limited by temps like my 965 was, then you shouldn't be going over 62c.
If it's not your hdd, then it might be your cpu.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X6%201100T%20Black%20Edition%20-%20HDE00ZFBK6DGR%20%28HDE00ZFBGRBOX%29.html
According to that you need to stay under 62c. Might wanna get some thermal or a cooler. Which both are pretty cheap.
Your hdd could be playing a role to.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Star67

Thanks for that Link^^^ yes it has a stock cooler.

I downloaded CoreTemp and monitored my temps during an export and my idle temps before I started were in the low 40's and it got up all the way to 56c as a high when I began to export. I haven't noticed any sound or buzzing coming from my CPU like I have my HDD.

Would extra Ram help the CPU out? When I export or render CS6 uses all my available Ram.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#8 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

u may have to set the voltage manually for your ram in the bios. If its not getting enough volts it'll bluescreen often. This is assuming the ram is fine and not rejecting the motherboard for some reason.

Also make sure the timings are correct.

I remember with some Corsair memory i had, i always had to set voltage manually cause it never picked the right voltage automatically. Check the volts on the ram before you set it to be sure.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

8GB RAM and your rendering? that's not enough...

Get a new HDD and another 8GB.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Does your mobo specifically support that Ram you have?

Is it listed as supported on your mobo's support site?

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Star67

@GTR12: I agree, Ive been researching and asking some coworkers of mine about it and that's what everything is saying. And 8GB will render, it just takes a LONG time.

And it may have been a compatibility issue with the Ram. Im just gonna buy more of the same sticks I already have.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Star67:

Yup 8GB with CS6 is almost unbearable, also the stick was probably DOA.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Star67 said:

Im just gonna buy more of the same sticks I already have.

It is recommended to get the exact same RAM module and size.