Command & Conquer 4, Seriously, what went wrong?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ztiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Ztiller
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

I have just played a few games so far, on the beta. But i have to say that EA have crushed even my very low Expectations. I am sorely dissapointed. I loved C&C3, but this has nothing in common, except for the faction names. I am acctually a bit disgusted. Are there no morals or rules in gamemaking?

1: Unlockable units in an RTS-mutliplayer? Wtf is that? "If your good, here's some units to make you even better! So that you can humiliate the new players even more, as they can just stare in awe at your gigantic walkers, while trying to fight them with tiny-ass tanks."

2:Choose Offense, Defense or Support in the beginning, which in turn limits your unit options. Thats just plain retarded. One of the cool things about a good RTS is that you can surprise your opponent with sudden changes in tactics. Now the enemy can look at your MCV and say for example, Oh, he's Support. Now i only have to build AA.

The main point about RTS in in the very name. Strategy! you cannot limit the options for strategy. This is more of a Shooter than an RTS. And dont insult us by trying to make it sound like an C&C game, because it's not.In Shooters you spawn and capture bases, like C&C 4 gameplay, in RTS you build bases, combine units and attack different weak spots, and from different directions, in order to cause confusion.

3: No base building. It didn't work out in DOWII, atleast not for the ppl i've spoken too, And it won't work out now. I want bases, i want buildings. I dont just want to click-build and then send out units. I want to have some RTS feeling to a RTS!

4: No resource collection. Another thing about Strategy thats retarded to remove. Even DOWII was smart enough to keep that. An important thing about the RTS games is that you fight over resources. If you have no resources to fight over, whats the immersion? Now you just fight because there is enemies in your way, not because you have something to really fight about.

5: Unit-cap. UNIT-CAP on an C&C game?! WTF! Thats even more limits to the RTS world. Especially combined with Unlockable units and the Off,Def,sup choice at start, it just turns to plain **** When i play an RTS, i want to be able to choose during gameplay, wheter to build few, strong units, or spam many weak units. RTS is about Choosing the best strategy to match the current situation, not about how long you've played.

6: The new graphics. The graphics sucked horribly in RA3, so why did you keep spinning on a crappy formula? Nobody liked the graphics there, noone will like these graphics either. They are ugly, unimmersive and looks adapted for toddlers with the round, cute little planes and sqare shaped tanks.

7: The online and menu layout. Why would you want to choose a team before you join a game? What if the host wants to balance things out before start, for example shift place on two players. then he's gonna have to do some serious calculating and kicking. In C&C3 you could just click on a drop-down menu, and it were all fine.

And Why the f* do you jump right back to the main menu if you're kicked or leaves a game? EA just expect that ppl dont want to play just because of that? Maybe there is a reason, because noone will want to play this game.

No "Ready" button? Why not? It was invented for a reason. A good reason.

8: the constantly healing engineers? Cmon, Seriously? Do i really have to say anything?

Why does every single new Game on the market have to be stripped down to the very basics. In C&C4, you build units and fight, nothing more.

Why did Base building, Resources, Units, Strategy, Immersion, Graphics and Overall Gameplay have to leave to make room for easy-peasy, fast paced gaming?
They are all part of what it means to be an RTS.

Now it's just dumbed down, simple minded, "i have the strongest units, i win" gameplay. Are EA trying to appeal to the 8 year olds? then you have succeded. But if you were trying to make an RTS, you have failed worse than any other attempt in the history of gaming.

This is NOT an RTS, and it's not C&C, so why do they say it is?

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
They panicked because of StarCraft II and flew up the white flag.
TTwizardYer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TTwizardYer
Member since 2004 • 78 Posts

Really You shouldnt post this because even if hundreds of EA workers will read it... they dont care. C&C serie evolved into something like NFS, EA sports games, Sims, ....

They dont care. Only mass producing every year, especially on pc. Perfect marketing will bring them profit so why should they care about true gamer opinion ? They dont care, THEY DONT CARE!

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

its the last game in the series so no big loss I'm waiting for supreme commander 2 and the dawn of war 2 expansion and that's the limit of my money atm

LordAinav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LordAinav
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts

They panicked because of StarCraft II and flew up the white flag. k0r3aN_pR1d3

QFT

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#6 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I lost interest in this series a very long time ago.
linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
I haven't been following this game, but from the sounds of your writing, they tried to do a WiC and failed.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#8 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Bring on C&C: Sole Survivor 2!!
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#9 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
RA3 single player is the worst single player cnc game I've played, and I've played every one (except the wonderful soul survivor) EA won't change anything. The game has one month before it's released. The game is practically going gold in a week or two, I don't think you'll see a change for the better, especially when it comes to resources and buildings. I'm in the beta but haven't tried it, not looking forward to it based on what I've heard. I'm going to give it a go soon though, definitely not going to just buy this game because to me as a long time cnc fan it sounds like trash. Kane is the only drawcard for me right now.
3DayFinisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 3DayFinisher
Member since 2007 • 40501 Posts
I want to see the end of the story, it'll probably be meh, but goddamn if Kane isn't one of the best "villains" ever I don't know who is.
NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#11 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
most of the sounds are bad, looks like it will be a fail, good to know that other rts games will be good which come this year
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

They panicked because of StarCraft II and flew up the white flag. k0r3aN_pR1d3

Pwned, I totally agree.

JonSnow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JonSnow777
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts

[QUOTE="k0r3aN_pR1d3"]They panicked because of StarCraft II and flew up the white flag. Mograine

Pwned, I totally agree.

Are you serious? Noooooooo. What a weird thing to say! They changed it because they think that's what kids are into these days. They think that kids don't want to sit around building bases and gathering resources, they just want to attack and blow stuff up. They said, what other RTS games are out there right now that have mass appeal? Oh, there's that DoTA game and look what DoW2 did! So they changed their strategy thinking it would hit a wider target, but I personally think I'm going to pass on this bullcrap. Because I personally enjoy building huge bases and sending in massive armies to crush my enemies. Thanks for simultaneously ruining part of my day and making me aware of something crappy, TC.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#14 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I lost interest in this series a very long time ago. biggest_loser

Exactly... to me C+C hasnt been the same the last while. C+C3, the latest Red Alert and the C+C4 beta are very MEH to me.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I lost interest in this series a very long time ago. biggest_loser
...ever since C&C 3 came out.
scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts

Dont buy it?

Theres plenty of other RTS games C&C went boring some time back.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

Why they decided to do this with the "last" game in the series, I don't know. It looks really stupid to me.

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
Ah damn it. I'll just replay some of the originals. RA2 was awesome.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
The unlockable units and support, defense, offense thing is beyond ridiculous.
BluePaw-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BluePaw-
Member since 2009 • 184 Posts

Well, i don't think i'll be buying this game.

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tony2077ca

well its the last game in the tiberum series not sure about command & conquer its self

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
After Generals the series started going down hill, i lost intrest in the series completely after playing the RA3 demo.
Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts
what you say is true, but its up to those retarded people at EA for even agreeing on making this game with these techniques in them.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

well its the last game in the tiberum series not sure about command & conquer its self

tony2077ca
Yeah I really doubt they'll axe the entire C&C games period. However, why they didn't wait for an entirely new C&C game to implement this game type is beyond me.
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tony2077ca
[QUOTE="tony2077ca"]

zomglolcats
Yeah I really doubt they'll axe the entire C&C games period. However, why they didn't wait for an entirely new C&C game to implement this game type is beyond me.

well dawn of war 2 did this but not to this point
wigginender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wigginender
Member since 2003 • 644 Posts

I have played and enjoyed every C&C and RA game since the begining, and as the OP said there are many new changes in C&C4 that totally turned me off. I was convinced by the C&C4 beta to forget about buying this game...

HOMIE_G64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 HOMIE_G64
Member since 2005 • 1482 Posts
[QUOTE="tony2077ca"]

zomglolcats

Depending on sales, this will probably not be the last C&C game. EA will never stop milking a cash cow. They probably did not wait for a spin-off or something because they wanted to cash in quick on the DoW2/CoH/WiC craze.
dared3vil0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dared3vil0
Member since 2009 • 1254 Posts

It almost seems like they just made a skeleton game. Pretty much like buying a car with wheels an engine and a steering wheel, Non of the good stuff such as 4x4, windows, doors, heat/AC. Just F------ S--- A--.