Color Issues with Ancient Games (Help me out please)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

So I was trying to play some old favorites (Sanitarium, Diablo) and I get this grotesque and anoying graphical glitch where the colors get distorded in all sorts of rainbow-ish patterns and I can't seen to finda way to make it go away. It is,I think, a compatibility problem with Windows 7 (32bit). Anyway, does someone here know how to get rid of this crap?

cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cluclap
Member since 2007 • 888 Posts

So I was trying to play some old favorites (Sanitarium, Diablo) and I get this grotesque and anoying graphical glitch where the colors get distorded in all sorts of rainbow-ish patterns and I can't seen to finda way to make it go away. It is,I think, a compatibility problem with Windows 7 (32bit). Anyway, does someone here know how to get rid of this crap?

Masculus
Try right clicking on the shortcut and selecting run in 256-color mode. I don't have Win 7 so I dont know if it still has that option but try it.
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Masculus

[QUOTE="Masculus"]

cluclap

Try right clicking on the shortcut and selecting run in 256-color mode. I don't have Win 7 so I dont know if it still has that option but try it.

Tried that, didn't work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

try running in win 98 compatability mode, usualy fixes it, also try minimizing the games and getthem back up (alt+tab) also seems to do the trick from time to time.

fbidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fbidog
Member since 2005 • 413 Posts

I had the same problem with Starcraft but after a day of work I manage to have it work on win 7 64 bits.Try this for Diablo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB7KmgeJ9WU

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Masculus

I had the same problem with Starcraft but after a day of work I manage to have it work on win 7 64 bits.Try this for Diablo

fbidog

Hmm... didn't work for me.

popeye1128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 popeye1128
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

fbidog
Well, it worked for me on Win 7 64 bit playing Sanitarium. Had the messed up colors (sprites) and simply right clicking on desktop, selecting screen resolution option and leaving the window open when starting the game made it all better. Evidently doing this somehow unlocks the monitor resolution and color bit setting so the game can take over. Thanks!
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

first change the desktop into a classic one (none transparent), then you can right click it and force it to run without all the fancy stuff that windows 7 have. Some times doing a alt tab while in game will fix the issue also.

Not sure if the topic is still around but on the Diablo 1 forum (here on GS/GFAQ) there was a huge topic about this with lots of solutions that worked.