CoH rises from the grave screaming vengeance!! CoH2 in the works @ relic!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

company of heroes was an outstanding rts still played till today, however as of 2006 all wnet silent on that epic THQ franchise, until today..

in the latest issue of pc gamer magazine they have an exclusive sit down with relic in which a yet to be named sequel to company of heroes is announced:

http://kotaku.com/5869586/relic-working-on-company-of-heroes-2

now this is in the hardcopy magazine for jan of 2012 not yet their website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EviiD3--iU

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
I hope not, Vanilla COH was fine until they ruined it with all the expansions and patch's. It was the same with Dawn of War, the first games were fine but the second was complete trash and felt far worse. The same will happen with COH 2 if they release it, they should work on new IP"s or maybe even work on Homeworld which would be better.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Awesome!

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

I was pretty disappointed with Dawn of War 2 and I heard that Tales of Valour wasn't the best of the best. Relic seems to have been in the dumps for awhile, here's to hoping that they can pull themselves back up with this.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

I was pretty disappointed with Dawn of War 2 and I heard that Tales of Valour wasn't the best of the best. Relic seems to have been in the dumps for awhile, here's to hoping that they can pull themselves back up with this.

Barbariser

how so i lpoved DoWII

anyone who thought they were getting a re-skin of CoH deserves to be hit by a car for being just stupid XD

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Barbariser

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

ionusX

how so i lpoved DoWII

anyone who thought they were getting a re-skin of CoH deserves to be hit by a car for being just stupid XD

Umm, it's pretty simple, it didn't live up to my expectations. You don't have to dislike a game to find it worse than expected. Anyway, the problem is not that it's CoH with Space Marines, it's that they tried to take parts of CoH anyway and didn't implement them as well as they did in CoH.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
Great! 2012 is going to be a glorious year for PC gaming.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
I hope it's like the first.. Otherwise I will be sadface.jpg
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
They just can't make great games overall from start to finish. Personally all their games except HW 2, were better with every sequel/expansion, but at the same time underwhelming and not as exciting as the previous one. For example their recent games, DoW 1, superb, DoW WA, better gameplay not that great of a campaign or atmosphere, DoW DC even better gameplay but at the same time even worse singleplayer less focused, allover the place, terrible package, the best multiplayer experience, DoW SS was a mess in every way, only good thing were the factions, Sisters were awesome. DoW 2, fantastic gameplay and atmosphere, DoW 2 CR, better gameplay more intense campaign, but somehow underwhelming, DoW 2 Ret, even better gameplay, but the campaign had no meaning, it was allover the place and a sad excuse for a game, terrible package, best multiplayer experience. CoH, fantastic in every way, but terrible balance, OF even better, but campaign felt underwhelming, unbalanced, ToV, terrible package, best multiplayer experience. Space Marine, great start and from my opinion on how their games evolved and played, you guessed what comes next if they plan to make expansions or sequels (which they don't, they're on to something, probably, their pattern hopefully, after all these years). Great, technically better, but just without any purpose, pathetic attempt, but complete multiplayer experience for anyone that cares (and when it comes to Relic, people don't really care in the long run).
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#11 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Hope it is a full fledge sequal. CoH is one of my favorite RTS.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

sounds good to me.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#13 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Niice!

Glad they are workign on another COH instead of another Dawn Of War

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Rumour. THQ is FUBAR. I'm not expecting a niche PC game from them, especially after the first one didn't sell well and CoH Online was a disaster.

Also, the people that made CoH are not at Relic anymore.

Edit: Jesus Christ, do you even read the "news" you post here?

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#15 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
It would be nice. COH was great except for all that rubbish about having to download 2GB patches.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#16 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I can't wait! I wonder if it will take place during WW II or a different time.

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

Mixed feelings from me. I liked the original DoW and the control points, and while I liked a lot of the way CoH played, I didn't like the small scale for WWII. I don't think I played beyond the first mission in the final CoH add-on/expansion thingy.

I either want some sort of RPG structure (which DoWII largely achieved) or massively impressive battles (something which DoW did fairly well, but was still outdone by the likes of SupCom).

(Hehe. Something like Kelly's Heroes could be cool)

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Barbariser

Rumour. THQ is FUBAR. I'm not expecting a niche PC game from them, especially after the first one didn't sell well and CoH Online was a disaster.

Baranga

Do you have a figure for CoH sales, preferably with a date for when the figures were achieved? A google check tells me that the franchise has topped charts quite a few times.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DanielDust

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

Barbariser

Do you have a figure for CoH sales, preferably with a date for when the figures were achieved? A google check tells me that the franchise has topped charts quite a few times.

Can't be, they were always disappointed by the sales, but unlike most they didn't blame piracy, the last interview I remember was something like "I don't get it, the CoH series is critically acclaimed, players love it, yet it barely sells".
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I hope not, Vanilla COH was fine until they ruined it with all the expansions and patch's. It was the same with Dawn of War, the first games were fine but the second was complete trash and felt far worse. The same will happen with COH 2 if they release it, they should work on new IP"s or maybe even work on Homeworld which would be better.Shadowhawk000
I agree that vanilla DOW and COH were the best... the expansions for COH were forgettable but Winter Assault for DOW were down right good. DOW2 was horrible compared to DOW1. I really hope they get the BUDGET for these games.. THQ holds Relic back way too much.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Barbariser

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

DanielDust

Can't be, they were always disappointed by the sales, but unlike most they didn't blame piracy, the last interview I remember was something like "I don't get it, the CoH series is critically acclaimed, players love it, yet it barely sells".

That doesn't tell me anything useful, there are developers out there who've been "disappointed" by 3 million in under two years.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DanielDust

Relic is an RTS developer, the only RTSs that sell millions are Blizzard's, after that the C&C series might reach a few over years, others and especially Relic, if they complain about sales, they're bad, since from the start such games can only make several hundred thousands at most and if you play their games, you notice by the community how badly they sold (every of their games, from DoW 1 to Space Marine) and I'm talking close to the release. CoH had 24K online at some point but really, what is 24K for a series (since all 3 of their games were under one system)?

They weren't disappointed, judging from what they said, they were lost, they tried to make a fantastic game, everyone praised it, but nobody bought it, that's how Space Marine was born and from the looks of it, this wasn't a successful "trial" either.

Relic makes fun games and that might do for few of "all of us that like it", but let's face it, the most sales on RTSs don't come from people that just want to see what's there, they come from people that want a challenge and great multiplayer, if not balanced at least solid, Relic games are neither.

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

They just can't make great games overall from start to finish. Personally all their games except HW 2, were better with every sequel/expansion, but at the same time underwhelming and not as exciting as the previous one. For example their recent games, DoW 1, superb, DoW WA, better gameplay not that great of a campaign or atmosphere, DoW DC even better gameplay but at the same time even worse singleplayer less focused, allover the place, terrible package, the best multiplayer experience, DoW SS was a mess in every way, only good thing were the factions, Sisters were awesome. DoW 2, fantastic gameplay and atmosphere, DoW 2 CR, better gameplay more intense campaign, but somehow underwhelming, DoW 2 Ret, even better gameplay, but the campaign had no meaning, it was allover the place and a sad excuse for a game, terrible package, best multiplayer experience. CoH, fantastic in every way, but terrible balance, OF even better, but campaign felt underwhelming, unbalanced, ToV, terrible package, best multiplayer experience. Space Marine, great start and from my opinion on how their games evolved and played, you guessed what comes next if they plan to make expansions or sequels (which they don't, they're on to something, probably, their pattern hopefully, after all these years). Great, technically better, but just without any purpose, pathetic attempt, but complete multiplayer experience for anyone that cares (and when it comes to Relic, people don't really care in the long run).DanielDust

What is this I don't even...

Dark Crusade was by far the best, most complete package for the original game, singleplayer included.

Chaos Rising expanded and improved upon the original DoW 2 in every way but was somehow underwhelming? How does that even make sense? Retribution was a fun throwback to DC, and though it didn't quite live up to it, it was a nice change of pace fromthe solely space marinecampaigns up to that point.

Maybe you're underwhelmed because you fail to realize that an expansion is not equal to a full-fledged sequel. You get what you pay for, and for the money, Relic generally delivers imo (the exceptionsbeing Soul Storm and Tales of Valor).

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

please PLEASE for love of all that is holy, dont make it like DOW2.....make it like CoH

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

please PLEASE for love of all that is holy, dont make it like DOW2.....make it like CoH

wis3boi
I agree. DOW2 was terrible compared to what DOW1/CoH was.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DanielDust

What is this I don't even...

Dark Crusade was by far the best, most complete package for the original game, singleplayer included.

Chaos Rising expanded and improved upon the original DoW 2 in every way but was somehow underwhelming? How does that even make sense? Retribution was a fun throwback to DC, and though it didn't quite live up to it, it was a nice change of pace fromthe solely space marinecampaigns up to that point.

Maybe you're underwhelmed because you fail to realize that an expansion is not equal to a full-fledged sequel. You get what you pay for, and for the money, Relic generally delivers imo (the exceptionsbeing Soul Storm and Tales of Valor).

PTMags

Maybe you didn't understand that I wanted more of the same, instead I got a worse game(s) overall. They alter their games way too much and every expansion/sequel goes in an entirely new direction. Retribution was by far the worst game Relic made, complete mockery of DoW 2, because yes, in an RTS I don't plan on going for multiplayer, except for games that are actually good at it.

zhangweizheng3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zhangweizheng3
Member since 2006 • 217 Posts

Hope they include the Soviets and japs

KiLKaras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points